Where are my Raspberries?

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
Have beautiful established raspberry plants. They had been fertilized and (re)bedded in May. They look very healthy but not a promise of a berry on them. Why do you think that is? Will not be back on until Mon. night, but look forward to hearing from anyone with a guess. Thank you

We are very dry here. The berries we have are small and bitter.
Do you have your's under a net to deter the birds?

They are not netted. I would have to agree on the water problem. It is very dry here as well. Everything is getting watered but probably not enough as there is so much to water. Thank you for your reply!

Have beautiful established raspberry plants. They had been fertilized and (re)bedded in May. They look very healthy but not a promise of a berry on them. Why do you think that is? Will not be back on until Mon. night, but look forward to hearing from anyone with a guess. Thank you

The berries only grow from second year canes, so if you planted them this year, you will get a crop of berries next year.... so don't cut them down assuming that they are defunct. :p

Also, in the fall make sure on each plant to cut them back EXCEPT for one or two of the strongest/largest canes. This way each cane will bear fruit, instead of putting efforts into other parts of the plant.

Michele

Thanks for all of the replies! Angie

PS ~ Does anyone else cut their raspberries back? I know it works great with my roses but am afraid to do it with the raspberries.......

nooo. Here is how Raspberries work.

a plant emerges from the ground and makes leaves. Thats all it does for one year. The NEXT year it grows in a different manner. Instead of coming up from the ground, the leaves emerge from the dried out looking stem it left last year. It will make a few side shoots off that stem, and this is where the berries comes from. That is the last life for that particular stem. It will remain dry and dead forever after that. During this time more new shoots are emerging along side it that will make berries the next year.

Usually the spring is the time to 'clean out' the old dead stock. Otherwise you end up getting scratched by old dead canes when you are trying to pick delicious berries. There is an art to this as you try to decide which cane is going to grow for its second year and which cane is spent. They both look kind of dead but the clue you get will be a stem with a greeness on the inside. Cutting that one is a "doh". There is a subtle difference in appearance, and after a few mistakes you will be a pro at it.

So to answer your question.... Dont cut them back like roses. Be afraid.......... be very afraid. ;-)

Latest posts