When to use crop chopper on baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I'm looking at a different baler that has a retractable crop chopper on it. Since it is retractable, there is obviously some crops you wouldn't want to use it on. Wondering what crops/conditions that would be?

I for one don't know what a crop chopper is. is it on a square baler or round baler? explain what it does....

I'm guessing he means a precutter. If you feed with a mixer, it will save you an incredible amount of mixing time. My baler doesn't have one, but the next one Probably will. Several guys around here use them. On long stemmy grasses such as Sudan, or corn it will chop it up into 4-6" pieces.

I don't see it being worth 10,000$ more unless you have a mixer.
I've suckered my neighbor into baleing a few bales with it so I could feed them next to the regular bales.
I couldn't tell much difference on how well they cleaned it up when unrolled.

Again, if you feed with a mixer guys are telling me it takes right at half the time to mix a bale that has been baled with a precutter.

If this is not what you are calling a crop chopper, ignore this post😁

Banjo said:
I for one don't know what a crop chopper is. is it on a square baler or round baler? explain what it does....

It's on a round baler.

I pulled this off of the McHale website: Knives in the chopping unit of the McHale V660 variable chamber baler can be engaged and disengaged from the tractor cab. When engaged, the knives extend into the spine of the rotor, which ensures a consistent cut quality. Knives have hydraulic protection ensuring that if a foreign object enters the chopping unit, the knives can drop out of the way.

T&B: I don't have a mixer but do bale a fair amount of bedding/mulch hay. From reading another forum, I'm getting that they are used mainly for TMR mixers, but would be handy for mulch and bedding also. I've read they take a good deal of power to run, some say over 100 hp tractor. The baler I'm looking at is used and it has the chopper on it, the chopper is a very expensive option: Just wondering any ones actual experience using them.

i dont mix but i have noticed they dont seem to pull such a big mouthful out of the feeder and leave half of it under their feet. we only use it on baleage

Bought one last season. Do a lot of baleage and courser crops like Reed canary grass that I chop. The rotor is a big mean power eating beast that would destroy delicate crops like alfalfa.

Latest posts