When to take steers to the sale

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
What is the best weight to take your steers to the sale. Some I have heard and read ranges from 600-1000lbs. Or is it more profitable to finish them out and sell them. Any ideas on when you get the best return ??

Thanks

I dont know that much about sale barns but i know I have everything processed and sold as quarters better i believe if you can find customers but since ur asking about a sale...depends whos there

With the good market right now, we've been taking ours to market at 400 - 450 lbs. Added bonus is the cows don't get as drawn down.

If they are weined and I have plenty of pasture I'll hold out for 700lbs as long as their bringing 1.00 or a little better a pound.

TheBullLady":2ikeokj1 said:
With the good market right now, we've been taking ours to market at 400 - 450 lbs. Added bonus is the cows don't get as drawn down.

This is my way. I don't like to take calves into the winter. Spring calvers. I try to sell in Sept. If they are good enough i keep some heifers tosell in the nex spring as replacements. i creep if the market is good. Meaning i can still make a profit. What I quoted Bulllady for was the part about the cows not going down. Over time you pull them cows down they will not produce as they once would. You say well a cows will only produce as her gentics alow. Right. But if you keep a cow in milk too long without a break she will milk less. Longer to weanign. my thoughts on Scotty says,

Scotty

In my area the price will drop off pretty sharply above 800 pounds. I generally shot for 600 to 700 pounds. I can literally go to the sale and buy 1,000 pounders for less money than I get for a 600 pounder.
Dave

I don't like to let them get heavier than 650 pounds. My 750 pound calves usually dissapointed me in their price per pound.

TheBullLady":d9jclxgk said:

A heavier calf will eat more too. Won't a "cow' eat 3% of it's body weight in dry matter a day if it is available?

So for a 500 lb. steer it will take more grass to put a pound of weight on than a 400?

Just thinking out loud here.

I was at an auction last week, and it was amazing how high the 800-900# feeders were going for. Apparently these guys are betting on the Feb fed cattle market to be strong, and corn prices look to be low yet..... This is not my bright thinking, I am just passing along the opinion of a cattle buyer I was sitting with cuz I couldn't believe the prices!

bizybeehill":1pdcvh0o said:
What is the best weight to take your steers to the sale. Some I have heard and read ranges from 600-1000lbs. Or is it more profitable to finish them out and sell them. Any ideas on when you get the best return ??

Thanks

Just my two cents here, I would say between weaning and 700's pounds. A good goal is 600 to 700 pounds. Out side of the ranch I run a lot and I would not want to buy anything over 700. just cuts into the profit<lol> if there is one too much.

that said, do the math, if it is going to cost you more to add a pound to the critter then you can sell the critter for per pound, Put the wheels under him.

Side note, We also will bring a small percentage of animals to market weight for our own use. 1200-1300 pounds, then dry age it for 14 days.

Latest posts