When to steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for all the replies.

Do you have to give a tetnus shot when you band within a couple days of birth?

I may actually try and band week after next. Got to finish my sweep alley this weekend and pour a pad for the new Preifert squeeze chute. So next weekend I may work on cutting all the fly tags out and banding the calves. I am dying to use the squeeze chute. Besides, I have a couple of calves that were too quick for me to catch when ear tagging.

jyarbrough":3h8ny3hb said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Do you have to give a tetnus shot when you band within a couple days of birth?
I may actually try and band week after next. Got to finish my sweep alley this weekend and pour a pad for the new Preifert squeeze chute. So next weekend I may work on cutting all the fly tags out and banding the calves. I am dying to use the squeeze chute. Besides, I have a couple of calves that were too quick for me to catch when ear tagging.

Do you actually read any of the replies on this thread?

dun":1mv8t1f2 said:
backhoeboogie":1mv8t1f2 said:
California bander works best for banding the big ones. I have one but have only had to use it a few times on trades or bargain purchases that were not steered.
california should know all about emasculation

LOL

Don't know how it got that name.

Here is one like the one used on the big steers. The normal bander at birth works best for me but if I have to get the big ones, this is the way I do it. It beats breaking out the oil or lotion and sliding the jewels through the little bander one at a time.

http://www.inosol.com/thecaliforniabander.html

jyarbrough;
i've always banded right after birth, have never given a tetanous shot. in about a month's time, everything is good to go...

Latest posts