When to steer

Help Support CattleToday:

jyarbrough

Reaction score
Well, so far within the last four weeks the cows have dropped 22 of the 28 calves. Hopefully the other six will drop in the next two weeks.

So I am planning to steer. So far I have 14 of the 22 that are bull calves. Also I have never steered before and I am planning on using bands. Am I wrong in waiting to 300lbs and then banding. That should put me Feb/March time frame. Is it too much stress since it potentially could still be very cold? Only reason that I was thinking on waiting was that I know nothing about adding implants and was trying to keep things as simple as possible since this would be my first attempt.

You're going to get a million different answers here, but I'll just tell you what I do (it has worked for me and never had any problems with this method) I like to cut them when they first hit the ground if at all possible. I've cut SEVERAL while they were still wet. Again, half will tell you to band, the other half will tell you to cut. I prefer to cut. In MY OPINION, the stress of cutting a 300lb calf will be more detramental to his overall growth rate than cutting a newborn and getting it out of the way. Now granted, if flies are a huge problem in your area, you may want to wait until cooler weather. We calve in the fall, so by the time we start, they usually aren't bad, BUT they are a menace here in the summer! Hope this helps.

I band them as soon as they are born. That's my preference.

Also I agree on the stress part Z & J Cattle is citing. The sooner you deal with those 14 head thet better in my opinion. Some are going to tell you it is better to wait.

100 different people are going to do this 100 different ways. Even those that are close to the same will be different in one way or another.

And just because they are cut or banded doesn;t mean you have to implant them. If you band just remember to count to 2 after you apply the band. If you can;t count 2 cut the band and start over. A pair of small wire cutters works real well for cutting the bands.

SteveTx":1vqjldk7 said:
Count to 2? Pinched nads? I'm new to this.

What he means is it is very easy to just catch 1 nut. Make darned sure there are two in below the band or cut it off and start over.

jyarbrough":1ct03fda said:
Well, so far within the last four weeks the cows have dropped 22 of the 28 calves. Hopefully the other six will drop in the next two weeks.

So I am planning to steer. So far I have 14 of the 22 that are bull calves. Also I have never steered before and I am planning on using bands. Am I wrong in waiting to 300lbs and then banding. That should put me Feb/March time frame. Is it too much stress since it potentially could still be very cold? Only reason that I was thinking on waiting was that I know nothing about adding implants and was trying to keep things as simple as possible since this would be my first attempt.
No way would I wait till they got to that weight/ length of growth to cut them....or band em. MHO

I normally cut no later than a month old. Sooner if i get to them. Banding requires a tetnus shot per any vet you ask. Some research ive read suggests that bull calves will grow faster than steers, but I think late castrating takes them longer to get over.

B&M Farms":259azmkf said:
I normally cut no later than a month old. Sooner if i get to them. Banding requires a tetnus shot per any vet you ask. Some research ive read suggests that bull calves will grow faster than steers, but I think late castrating takes them longer to get over.

Not if you band them when they are born or right after. The Tetnus shot comes into play later. Especially if you are using a Calicrate bander on big calves.

I will give you another of the 100 opinions. I have cut and banded in the past. What I do now and prefer to do is cut when I work calves for vaccinations and branding. I do this all at one time. The big ones will be close to 300 pounds. The small ones will be a couple weeks old. It doesn't appear to slow them at all. I have banded at that size and it works good too. One advantage to banding at an older age it is a lot more obvious when you only have one nut. The number one complaint of buyers about banded calves is the missed nuts. And if you have ever had to castrate a calf who has had his sack banded off with one or both nuts left in him you would understand this.

I band at weaning when they are 5-600 pounds. As for stress - some will act like nothing is wrong and others will lay flat on their side for an hour or two. But they don't go off feed at all. I forgot what the time frame is but "they" say that withing 6 hours or so the steers will not have any discomfort at all. Works for me.

We band the obvious steers at spring workup. They'll be anywhere from a couple of days to 2 months old. At weaning we really evaluate the ones that weren;t cut and the drop outs then get cut at booster time 3 weeks later when they'll run 600-750 lbs.

Done it both ways, but never have cut yet. Banded at birth, and this year I'm holding off till about 300 lbs. Banded a purchased bull for butcher once. Trying to get both nuts in on a 700 lb bull is tight with a regular bander but doable

When I worked at the vets', they usually recommended a tetanus shot (Barvac CDT) prior to banding, wait 3 weeks, then booster tetanus and band at the same time.

hooknline":3pjd1uj5 said:
Done it both ways, but never have cut yet. Banded at birth, and this year I'm holding off till about 300 lbs. Banded a purchased bull for butcher once. Trying to get both nuts in on a 700 lb bull is tight with a regular bander but doable

California bander works best for banding the big ones. I have one but have only had to use it a few times on trades or bargain purchases that were not steered.

backhoeboogie":2edmt61s said:
California bander works best for banding the big ones. I have one but have only had to use it a few times on trades or bargain purchases that were not steered.
california should know all about emasculation

TennesseeTuxedo":li1h9s0e said:
Another option is to take them to the sale barn intact and take your hit to your pricing. I have a friend who does just that.

You dont really take a hit here for bull calves right now. Some years you do. I still dont care for 7 month old bulls trying to ride everything in the pasture though.

Latest posts