When to graze wheat?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got a few acres of wheat that was sowed with some grass. When would you graze it?

What kind off grass,? Around here wheat is planted in early fall. Grazed in late winter and early spring. If you spring planted it with a warm season grass. You might have kinda painted yourself in a corner.

Dunno about grazing it but we are cutting our fall planted wheat this week. I hope the cows will eat the seed head even though it's before the milk stage

This was planted with some fescue, probably turn them in on it now I guess. Did not want to let them graze the fescue too early, the wheat was there mainly for a cover crop.

tom4018":11u1s23q said:
This was planted with some fescue, probably turn them in on it now I guess. Did not want to let them graze the fescue too early, the wheat was there mainly for a cover crop.
I would still avoid grazing too early. Maybe if you cant cut it for hay u could just bush hog it down. The damage to the young fescue could be more than the grazing is worth.

Question with wheat. .when planted in with fescue, how tall will the wheat usually get? Ours has the seed showing, so will it actually get any taller than it is now or is it done?

The wheat matures before the fescue is ready and usually before the weather allows cutting hay. Still makes great hay. I drill wheat into 15 acres of fescue every fall. The forage samples I took in early December last year tested 21.6% protein. Great winter grazing for small calves.

machslammer":1ntgm9u9 said:
I see. Wheat dry about like Johnson grass?
Oh no, is sill real good just not perfect. Most grains, if cutting for hay need to be cut early. If I get it cut by May 20-25 it will be headed out and the seed head will be begining to mature. Still very good feed but like everything else if I could cut it in boot sage it would be better.

Went and cut some today and left some. One field some was thigh high and most was calf high. Gonna see if the calf high stuff will come on up in a couple weeks time