When a calf dies...

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
Is there anything to do with the mother cow to stop milk production - or I assume this will happen naturally, and how long does that usually take? It looks like a predator got to a newborn calf in the last 24 hours and cow is still hanging around it with very full udders. Just wondering if there is anything I should do - or if time will take care of it. Really bummed about the calf - don't want something bad to happen to the cow now too. Thanks for your suggestions.

She'll dry up,they always do. Have heard it said if the seal on the tit was'nt opened it's even better.

Thanks, that's what I figured. It was a dumb question, I'm sure... but just not happy about losing the calf. I'm not sure if it was dropped dead, or killed by coyotes last night... I'm hoping that they aren't so bad here to go after a living calf. Anyway - I guess the cow will be fine and hopefully have better luck next time. Just was a little concerned because of the swollen udders.
Thanks again.

Scheff, I'm sorry to hear you lost one. I think you need to investigate what got hold of the calf a little closer. It could have been coyotes for sure but it may have been dogs as well. Either way it's not good. Even if the calf was born dead and whatever they were found it and ate it they may associate calves with an easy meal. They may start targeting live calves and they may have killed one of your calves already.

Thanks Deepsouth, and I'm not sure at all what got it - or if it was already dead. I've had two other calves dropped and doing fine in the last month... this is the only one that I've lost, but I'm on the lookout for anything that needs to be appropriately dealt with. I've heard coyotes in the distance previously, and I know they're around... but they usually keep their distance. This calf was not far from the house in a small wooded area, but perhaps it was too isolated - or already dead. Thanks again - I do appreciate the comments.

Really sorry to hear that. DS is right. You want to know what got it. There is nothing sadder than watching a mamma stand over a dead baby calf! :(
You can always pick up a dairy calf to graft on to her.......Some people skin the dead calf and put that on the new calf for the scent.

branguscowgirl":sdb7qgzg said:
Really sorry to hear that. DS is right. You want to know what got it. There is nothing sadder than watching a mamma stand over a dead baby calf! :(
You can always pick up a dairy calf to graft on to her.......Some people skin the dead calf and put that on the new calf for the scent.
Isn't that the truth. I will never shake the image of one of our mamas a few years ago standing over her dead calf while the buzzards picked at it. Makes me tear up right now. That mama had a beautiful boy baby this week.

We've never really had much of a problem with coyotes. I think they get blamed for any time a calf dies or is found dead. The problem we have out where i live is the Black Vulture. They will get the calf as its coming out the cow or they will wart the cow as the after birth is coming out until she accidentally tramples the calf.
In the future you come across a dead calf, take note of its condition and the area. First look at the area around it, is it churned up like the cow did a lot of spinning around. Look at the calf, does it look like it wasnt cleaned off or has a lot of dirt on it. Look at its feet, are the pads still intact, do they look like they've been chewed on by a beak (specially the front feet) or are they shredded or a hoof, like maybe the calf took a few steps before it died. Is his tongue out like it was a hard birth, or eaten(vultures love to eat the tongue before the calf is born). Some of these things you'll be able to see even if the calf is already partially eaten. Sometimes if the calf is born dead or killed by the vultures, the vultures will leave before you get to it throwing the coyote under the bus who just happened upon it and joined in...

branguscowgirl":1tqh4apy said:
I've heard of that skinning thing before, but I have yet to need to use it. I think the dairy calf idea is a really good one, especially if you have a dairy farmer nearby that you can buy a newborn from directly. I know a guy who puts Holstein bull calves on his cows that lose their calves and then in the fall when he weans them, he sells them to kids in 4-H/FFA for dairy steer show projects. He's produced quite a few champion dairy steers that way, and he doesn't even have to pick out fancy bull calves to do it! Just plain, ordinary salesbarn calves. But I should mention, dairy calves tend to be more of the "special" type... Basically all natural survival instincts are bred out of them because on most dairies they aren't needed, and if they get a good bull they baby it to make sure it gets to breeding age. It'll be frustrating at first, but eventually the calf should figure it out.

Sorry to hear about your loss though!! I know the feeling of seeing a cow with her dead newborn, it's hard for us and harder for them.

Shorty, a friend of mine always skins the calf in this way. Works out really well for her. Personally, it would be hard for me to do. But if I had to, I would.............
If I did not have a graft baby, I always found it best with the cows and the horses both, to leave the dead baby with them instead of taking it away. They mourn the loss, then eventually just except it and walk away. Sad, but it beats them pacing and looking everywhere for it.
Either way is not easy for sure!

I agree with that branguscowgirl except if you have black vultures in your area, its worst to see the cow defend a dead calf and then watch it eaten. I have to dispose of a dead calf before that happens. I haul them away from our herds and let the scavengers eat it away from calving cows. We bury our dead cows. The calves we lose are usually taken care of in a matter of minutes by the scavengers so i drive way off into the pines..To me the worst sight ever is seeing 30 vultures tearing apart a calf and the cow trying to chase them off.. :cry2:
We've never had the skin work. A while back we cut the ears off the dead calf and tied them to the graft calf... :cry: The cow was over aggressive and we thought it might help....Hobbles is the only way we've been able to get unwilling participants to except.

branguscowgirl":30qfgni0 said:
Shorty, a friend of mine always skins the calf in this way. Works out really well for her. Personally, it would be hard for me to do. But if I had to, I would.............
If I did not have a graft baby, I always found it best with the cows and the horses both, to leave the dead baby with them instead of taking it away. They mourn the loss, then eventually just except it and walk away. Sad, but it beats them pacing and looking everywhere for it.
Either way is not easy for sure!
Yes, only works if you don't have a big problem with scavengers....... :cry2:

It is tough seeing a newborn dead. Sorry you are having to deal with it.
Many cows will take a calf with out much effort if done soon enough. Once they are deep into mourning and trying to forget, it seems harder for them to accept a graft.
Coyote tracks are different than dog tracks. Coyote tracks are pointed vs round like. Coyotes and Mexican Buzzards will also day the eyes.
I have more trouble with neighborhood dogs when they form a pack. Have only had one lost to coyotes and it was a sick calf we had been treating, probably would have lost it anyway.

If you can get her to adopt a calf, that would be good for her and you... I find they lose their place in the herd if they don't have a calf. There's also a product called Orphan No More, that can help with grafting... If you think of grafting, get her milked, keep the colostrum (for another calf if nothing else), and find a calf for her... you'll have a weeks work cut out for you!

Latest posts