wheezing Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dropmore Dave

Reaction score
Here is the situation..6 months old heifer calf that wheezes at times so loud you would think she is snoring. However, she appears healthy in every other way. Eating well, drinking, sucking, cud chewing, running are all normal. No temp, did give her a shot of long acting antibodics a week ago, that did not have any effect. My thoughts are asthma and that steriods might be indicated.. Any thoughts or suggestions??? Thanks in advaces...

I don;t know what it's called but if your vet has a borescope have him check out her air passages. We had a steer like that a cuple of years ago. Could hear him breathing from 100 yards away. Checked him out and he had some weird flap in his windpipe. He finished right along with everyone else at the feedlot.

Thanks Dun, may consider that next week. Just came back from checking cattle and she right out there eating with the rest of them. However you can hear her breath from a long ways off. Not hard to find in a group of calfs. Nice heifer too, perhaps one of my best....Dave

I have a 4mo hef. calf the same way. Treated her with La and Penn. has had not effect. Vet said don't excite her and when time sell.

Just wondering, did either of these calves have pneumonia earlier and was'nt treated in time?

Roadapple":3jtmst60 said:
Just wondering, did either of these calves have pneumonia earlier and was'nt treated in time?
Ours never hada sick day in it's life. It also weaned at about 20% heavier then the others but from that cow that was the norm. None of her other calves even those sired by the same bull had the problem.

Always been healthy, checked her this morning and she doing fine. Laying with the other calfs chewing her cud. Just as perky as the others.

Sorry to resurrect a 2 year old post but a search revealed this thread and I'm seeing a similar condition in a 2 mo. old heifer calf (not a bottle calf). Seems very healthy, no mucus, nurses, eating grass, growing like a weed, etc. When I show up in the pasture early mornings and the herd trots down the hill, this little gal starts wheezing. When I can see her mouth you can see that her tongue sticks out a bit during the wheezing. It almost seems like asthma because when they're loafing around I never hear it. I first heard this about a month ago and gave her a shot of penicillin, seemed to clear it up but now I think that it didn't and I was just monitoring during not excitable times. I'm wondering if it's a foreign object, allergies or who knows what.

I had a heifer calf like what you describe this spring. Except she clearly not feeling well. I had to treat twice with Draxxin she got over it and is fine today,I always wondered if her lungs are damaged some how from it, and if one day she might show sign of it. B&G

Latest posts