what's the most popular meat breed in the U.S.?

Help Support CattleToday:

piccone

Reaction score
further, there are so many varieties how does one decide on which to choose . most of the breeds are pretty similar.

la4angus":joptrn9b said:
Black Angus is the most popular meat breed in th e U.S.

For purebred. The most popular meat animal is still the crossbreed.

dun

dun":1qa8nnu7 said:
la4angus":1qa8nnu7 said:

dun
Dun, go back and read the question.
It clearly states "what is the most popular meat breed in the U S. today"

Not "what is the most popular meat animal in the U S."

la4angus":z5a6ah89 said:
dun":z5a6ah89 said:
la4angus":z5a6ah89 said:

dun
Dun, go back and read the question.
It clearly states "what is the most popular meat breed in the U S. today"

Not "what is the most popular meat animal in the U S."

It was meant as calirification:
For someone beginning, there needs to be an awareness that not all cattle are purebred and you don;t need purbred cattle (cows anyway) to get into the business.

dun

Unless they're writing a paper on "The Most Popular Meet Breed of Cattle in the U.S."

The Black Angus is continuing it's long run as such. Interested, though--why do you ask?

Lngvew":l37kq3mk said:
Wiseman once said; "Just cause it's popular don't mean it's profitable"

Lot's more to consider than popularity!
I expect that Angus are the most popular because they are the most unprofitable. Makes sense to me.

la4angus":4vmucj2d said:
Lngvew":4vmucj2d said:
Wiseman once said; "Just cause it's popular don't mean it's profitable"

Lot's more to consider than popularity!
I expect that Angus are the most popular because they are the most unprofitable. Makes sense to me.

:eek: :shock: :D :) :lol: :lol2:

Angus are easily the most popular breed. As a "non-angus" breeder I look at the reasons that they are so popular with a lot of envy. The breed is the most widely excepted for many reasons. Some of them include: They have a great product. The profitability of the breed is very high. The one strength that I envy the most is how well the Angus product is marketed. You cannot turn on the television, radio or open a grocery flyer without seeing "Angus". If you ask someone who has no idea about cattle what kind of beef is the best I would bet most would say Angus. For these reason I beleive if you choose a different breed and want to run a seedstock operation. Choose one that will compliment the Angus breed. You shouldn't run out of customers for your cattle anytime soon. No one breed is perfect, but my hat is off to the Angus breed.

which breed (and which crosses) produce the best "feed to meat" ratio-ive just heard more about "angus" from ads and marketing than any other kind of beef-didnt know any other type was reallyout there until a couple years ago-i wasnt sure if the angus was the most profitable meat breed and therefore most widely used or whatnot

Limousin cattle are very well known for their feed efficiency. They have great ability to convert feed in to red meat. However most tight wound high flanked cattle are identified as Limousin cattle. Therefore the breed needs to work on this problem. If cattle can produce feed so efficiently as the Limousin breed does they need to have the capacity to get enough feed in them. One criticism I would give Angus cattle is they don't have enough muscle to always create a acceptable yeild grade distribution. Crossing Angus with Limousin make a very good cross. Cattle that will have sufficient muscle - from the Limousin side. These cattle will also have good marbling and acceptance - from the Angus side. I am relatively new to the beef cattle business. Some of the ideas I have shared with you I have gotten from visiting other herds and reading thoughts from feeders and commercial cattle people. Limousin cattle are very efficient and compliment the more popular and widley accepted Angus cattle very well.

The classic and most popular cross is the Hereford/Angus, the black-baldie. For instance, at the OBI bull test, the top two gaining bulls were an Angus and a Hereford, if I recall correctly. If I don't, Frankie will be all over it. The top Hereford gained 5.99 pounds per day, and the top Angus gained well over 6 pounds per day. There were, however, significantly more Angus on test than Herefords.

Herefords will compete well in feed efficiency, but I challenge anything besides the Longhorn to come close to them at maintaining in range conditions. They are the king of forage conversion. To give you an example of what the modern Hereford is capable of doing, I recently purchased a bull who weaned at 113% ratio among contemporaries that averaged 711 pounds 205 day weights without creep.

franseen":3tpsctim said:
If cattle can produce feed so efficiently as the Limousin breed does they need to have the capacity to get enough feed in them.
Wow, the Limousin breeders have come a long way now that they have developed cattle that "can produce feed so effeciently". :lol2: A cow that not only converts feed well, but produces its own feed, and does it effeciently is going to market itself. :lol:

Sorry doc gray bull. I try to check my posts for mistakes. It should have read that they can convert feed efficiently. I had to get out and check on our last heifer to calve. Thanks for pointing it out. If our cattle only did produce their own feed. Up here in WI we have a short enough growing season.

piccone":15r3zwrw said:
further, there are so many varieties how does one decide on which to choose . most of the breeds are pretty similar.

You should choose what you like to look at and deal with. Angus is the most popular beef (meat). There's CAB, Burger King's Angusburger, etc. I read somewhere there were 40 products on the supermarket shelves with the world "Angus" in their name.

Over half the cow herd in the US is black; so the most popular cattle breed is also Angus.

One of the things that makes the Angus breed popular is the Angus Assn. They do a good job marketing our cattle. They handle paperwork quickly, efficiently and at a reasonable cost. The Angus people I've delt with at the national office are great. They always look for ways to make things work for us with the least cost and trouble. The Fieldmen that I've met were pleasant, easy going and anxious to help in any way they can.

If you're a small seedstock producer, there are many small consignment sales to market (or buy) females.

It's a different story if you're looking to sell show animals. The competition there is very, very tough and very, very well financed.

But if you don't like Angus/black cattle, go with something else. None of us are likely to get rich in the cattle business so we might as well enjoy the cattle that we see every day. Good luck....

greenwillowherefords":oue2l8c8 said:
The classic and most popular cross is the Hereford/Angus, the black-baldie. For instance, at the OBI bull test, the top two gaining bulls were an Angus and a Hereford, if I recall correctly. If I don't, Frankie will be all over it. The top Hereford gained 5.99 pounds per day, and the top Angus gained well over 6 pounds per day. There were, however, significantly more Angus on test than Herefords.

Now, GWH, why would you say something like that? ;-) Actually, I don't pay much attention to which bulls are high gainers in the other breed tests. But when the sale catalog comes out, it's put upfront for everyone to see. For reference, the highest gaining Simmental bull in this past sale gained 4.97 lbs per day. The high gaining Red Angus gained 4.74, the high gaining Salers 4.20, and the Braunvieh gained 3.72. There may have been bulls on these tests that gained more; but they weren't brought to the sale.

You're right that there are significantly more Angus on test. I again encourage you and everyone else to put those bulls out there and let's see what they can do. From a personal standpoint, I can tell you it's a learning experience....

la4angus, I did not mean to strike a nerve, was not poking fun at any breed. But do stand by the statement that "There is a lot more to consider than popularity". Location, feed availability, market preference just to name a few.

Frankie":393ina4d said:
But if you don't like Angus/black cattle, go with something else. None of us are likely to get rich in the cattle business so we might as well enjoy the cattle that we see every day. Good luck....

i agree 100% frankie... having cattle you like helps you continue to enjoy the business.

jt

Latest posts