What's the going rate for riders

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Going out tomorrow morning with 2 riders to either pen or rope up some crazy calves and a crazy cow. they're getting a ride to the auction house. What's the going rate where you are at? I'll be glad when she's gone.

The first one would be $200, the ones after that would $100-150 depending on the trouble that arises. If you've got any thickets at all, after you catch one or two, the rest will scatter for cover. May even leave the place all together. Hopefully they will have dogs. I also think a butterfly back gate is a must for loading wild cattle. If you have a trailer with them, use it, and open the gates in. If you've got a swinging back gate it's apst to get bent.

There is a local guy around here with a tranquilizer rifle and small horse trailer he pulls behind a four wheeler. Shoots the troublemaker, give it a minute or two to go down then simply winches them in while they are unable to put up much of a fight. Lot cheaper than hiring a horser if you can get in range.

Hook":38jjokzh said:
Tranq'ing has a lot of risks in itself. One cow or calf that doesn't recover is how much with these prices? But I have considered it

If you tranq enough of them, in due time you'll kill one. You fool with enough wild cattle long enough, and one of them will drop dead on you to. I don't know if they have an aneurism from stress, or what, but I have seen it.

$150 for day work here. Most day workers enjoy the shyt out of catching a wild cow and it's usually easier than a full days work so they don't charge extra.
I've never dealt with tranquilizer but I've had a few drop dead that weren't tranquilized so I'd have no problem giving that a try if it was an option.

It might not be feasible for you, but the last crazy cow I had I put a bullet in her head and processed her right at home.
It's not for everyone but something to think about.

ohiosteve":1qoq5ees said:
It might not be feasible for you, but the last crazy cow I had I put a bullet in her head and processed her right at home.
It's not for everyone but something to think about.
That has also crossed my mind, but she's heavy bred and will bring a great price. That is unless she goes crazy in the ring. And the calves aren't doing me any good eating the grass when they should have been gone over a month ago.
Overall if tomorrow goes well it will be a win win n

Latest posts