What's Involved?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgal

Reaction score
Okay--I am "show-dumb" what is involved in getting your animal ready to show? What age and sex categories are shown (bovine specific)
  • wash?
    comb?
    shave?

That all depends on what show you are going to and what you are showing. Juniors can show a steer or heifer. In the open shows anyone can show a bull or heifer. They all show by breed and age. Steers show by breed and weight. The terms are wash brush and clip, and yes you do all of those things to get ready for a show.

Angus Cattle Shower":y74n4esy said:
To show a Bull dont you need to be 16? :?: Thats what it is here anyways.

Here anyone can show a bull as well but they don't have junior bull shows only open bull shows.

txshowmom":2toz1whi said:
Here anyone can show a bull as well but they don't have junior bull shows only open bull shows.

they have junior bull shows at some of the breeds' junior nationals. bred-and-owned.

txag":3nrgze3p said:
txshowmom":3nrgze3p said:

they have junior bull shows at some of the breeds' junior nationals. bred-and-owned.

You are right but I was talking about the major shows.

Lots! it all depends on what breed you want to or show. Pm me and i can give you more info.

I don't want to come across wrong, but I am a grown person, and got involved in cattle past school age. I was just a bit curious about what goes into the process. Pardon me if this sounds insulting, but from my limited experience, it seems like show cattle and the best heifer in my pasture might be 2 different stories. While I think I have stock capable of show ring ettiquette, they aren't terribly hairy or over-fat. So, am I right to assume that showing an animal that is a bit more realistic, might be fun but forget big competitions??? What circuit is there for adults? Maybe I will have children interested and I can be the taxi!

cowgal":3gutzcjv said:
I don't want to come across wrong, but I am a grown person, and got involved in cattle past school age. I was just a bit curious about what goes into the process. Pardon me if this sounds insulting, but from my limited experience, it seems like show cattle and the best heifer in my pasture might be 2 different stories. While I think I have stock capable of show ring ettiquette, they aren't terribly hairy or over-fat. So, am I right to assume that showing an animal that is a bit more realistic, might be fun but forget big competitions??? What circuit is there for adults? Maybe I will have children interested and I can be the taxi!

This is the first time I've looked at this forum, I'm bored so thought I'ld give it a look.

Your question about the difference between pasture and show ring quality pretty much hits the whole subject on the head.
As long as a cow/heifer is functionally correct, i.e. feet/legs, body structure, etc. I see very little resemblence between real world cows and show ring animals. I did fall for a lovely face and bought a reserve champion heifer this past year. She's a nice heifer, but the more time she spends in the pasture working for a living, she's due to calf in the next week or so, the less she fits in with the rest of the cows. Pretty is as pretty does, hopfully she will be up to the task (and end up beautiful). If not she'll be fired, just like any other under achieving employee.

dun

This is the first time I've looked at this forum, I'm bored so thought I'ld give it a look.

Your question about the difference between pasture and show ring quality pretty much hits the whole subject on the head.
As long as a cow/heifer is functionally correct, i.e. feet/legs, body structure, etc. I see very little resemblence between real world cows and show ring animals. I did fall for a lovely face and bought a reserve champion heifer this past year. She's a nice heifer, but the more time she spends in the pasture working for a living, she's due to calf in the next week or so, the less she fits in with the rest of the cows. Pretty is as pretty does, hopfully she will be up to the task (and end up beautiful). If not she'll be fired, just like any other under achieving employee.

dun

Well said dun :cboy:
Well I for one have to prettymuch agree, and disagree with dun. We have had boughten Salers show bulls over the years, and we have never had a problem. This year I showed a Pure B/A heifer, and she fit in perfectly. But, we also had a shown cow come, and she idd not fit in.
Anyways that is my 2 cents.

It's not a 100% deal either. We have a cow out of the CA grand champion Gelbvieh cow 3 or 4 years in a row. The daughter is a great cow and we've put one of her daughters in the herd.
The heifer I mentioned earlier is a decent enough heifer, I saw her dam 12 years old and still raisin dandy calves and breeding back on time, but her sire was leased to another breeder so I didn't get a chance to see him. It could be the change from a show type of ration to a real world ration. She may come along and be as agood as her mother as she matures. I tried to buy her mother but he wouldnt sell her so I ended up with this heifer.

dun

I have been showing cattle for 20+ years. Yes, show cattle are treated differently during show season, but just because they are show cattle does not mean they can't be pasture cows. We show & sell show cattle and EXPECT them to perform their duties on grass in the summer & hay in the winter - at our farm or a buyers farm. We knew a farm that raised show cattle & hand fed them year-round. When they sold cattle, they became skin & bones out on pasture & rarely bred back right. I think years (generations) of pampering cattle can create cattle that can't survive in the real world.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2yk3he3l said:
I have been showing cattle for 20+ years. Yes, show cattle are treated differently during show season, but just because they are show cattle does not mean they can't be pasture cows. We show & sell show cattle and EXPECT them to perform their duties on grass in the summer & hay in the winter - at our farm or a buyers farm. We knew a farm that raised show cattle & hand fed them year-round. When they sold cattle, they became skin & bones out on pasture & rarely bred back right. I think years (generations) of pampering cattle can create cattle that can't survive in the real world.

My thought EXACTLY. Thank you Jeanne.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1yrgqtfd said:
I have been showing cattle for 20+ years. Yes, show cattle are treated differently during show season, but just because they are show cattle does not mean they can't be pasture cows. ... I think years (generations) of pampering cattle can create cattle that can't survive in the real world.

I commend you on your ethics! Unfortunately, I think there are many who don't live by those same standards! I think some is out of ignorance rather than spite.

How much time do you put into getting one ready and when do you do it? How long for touch ups? I would like to show herefords or red angus, but there isn't a lot of red angus locally. Do they ever combine black and red or is that too taboo?

cowgal":1np45a2v said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1np45a2v said:
I have been showing cattle for 20+ years. Yes, show cattle are treated differently during show season, but just because they are show cattle does not mean they can't be pasture cows. ... I think years (generations) of pampering cattle can create cattle that can't survive in the real world.

I commend you on your ethics! Unfortunately, I think there are many who don't live by those same standards! I think some is out of ignorance rather than spite.

How much time do you put into getting one ready and when do you do it? How long for touch ups? I would like to show herefords or red angus, but there isn't a lot of red angus locally. Do they ever combine black and red or is that too taboo?

We start working with our cattle in May. Our first show is in July. We mist/or rinse, & brush EVERY morning & evening. We clip them 1 week before each show. Takes about 1 hour per head with my husband & I clipping (this is shaving & blocking from head to toe). Plus touchup clipping at show.

Showing takes tons of TIME. The daily routine is MY job. I'm full time on the farm, my husband works off the farm. We go to about 8 shows/sales.
Red Angus do not show with the Blacks, except at some junior shows. If the Reds don't have enough numbers, they show in Other Breeds.

OK! I've been reading through these posts, and just couldn't decide if I dare try to reply. Explaining the proper order and everything involved to properly exhibit a show calf would take at least a 500 page book. (I have thought many times about writing The Complete Book on Show Cattle)

Sixteen years ago, we pulled the nicest Polled Hereford heifer of the lot out of my Father-in-laws herd for my eight year old daughter to show. We did everything the "experts" said to do, and after three shows, realized that pasture cows can't compete on the Show Circuit. We have been breeding and showing high percentage Maine-Anjou since late 1989 (We even have one Simmental cow and a few Simm/Maine/Angus cows). We have traveled the circuit from Ft. Worth to Sioux Falls. Now, this is only a hobby for me. I knew up front that I would probably never show a profit, however, I'm still trying. In my opinion, show cattle (breeding stock), are what pasture cows would be in a perfect world. Sure, they're babied. My cows are all fed a show ration 365 days a year. They are my pets. They all have a name and a show ring history with lots of memories. When we lose a cow, we don't even think of the monetary loss. We feel as though we've lost a member of the family.

All this said, I think the commercial cattleman can learn a great deal from the Show Ring. If he can study and learn genetics, he can AI his best cows to the proper "Show Bulls" and produce some superior calves that will go out in the pasture and work!! :shock:

AAOK

OK! I've been reading through these posts, and just couldn't decide if I dare try to reply. Explaining the proper order and everything involved to properly exhibit a show calf would take at least a 500 page book. (I have thought many times about writing The Complete Book on Show Cattle)

Sixteen years ago, we pulled the nicest Polled Hereford heifer of the lot out of my Father-in-laws herd for my eight year old daughter to show. We did everything the "experts" said to do, and after three shows, realized that pasture cows can't compete on the Show Circuit. We have been breeding and showing high percentage Maine-Anjou since late 1989 (We even have one Simmental cow and a few Simm/Maine/Angus cows). We have traveled the circuit from Ft. Worth to Sioux Falls. Now, this is only a hobby for me. I knew up front that I would probably never show a profit, however, I'm still trying. In my opinion, show cattle (breeding stock), are what pasture cows would be in a perfect world. Sure, they're babied. My cows are all fed a show ration 365 days a year. They are my pets. They all have a name and a show ring history with lots of memories. When we lose a cow, we don't even think of the monetary loss. We feel as though we've lost a member of the family.

All this said, I think the commercial cattleman can learn a great deal from the Show Ring. If he can study and learn genetics, he can AI his best cows to the proper "Show Bulls" and produce some superior calves that will go out in the pasture and work!! Shocked
You said it well! :cboy:

Well....la di da! If I am reading this at all like you are saying it, I don't think I would want any part of it! Sounds like a beauty pageant for cattle and AAOK you sound just a little like one of those, Oh, what do you call them? Those moms that push their little girls so hard in competition and live out their dreams through them.

The answer I was looking for was not the comprehensive guide to feeding, fluffing, and petting your heifer, but more along the lines of

Wash-1 hour?
Clip-1 hour?
fluffing-1 hour?
etc-1 hour?

Now, I probably should have been more specific, but like I said--I know nothing!

I don't know why breeders would line up to get semen off an "all show no go" bull. Can you convince me?

cowgal":1s0wotbg said:
Well....la di da! If I am reading this at all like you are saying it, I don't think I would want any part of it! Sounds like a beauty pageant for cattle and AAOK you sound just a little like one of those, Oh, what do you call them? Those moms that push their little girls so hard in competition and live out their dreams through them.

This attitude won't go far on this board.

The answer I was looking for was not the comprehensive guide to feeding, fluffing, and petting your heifer, but more along the lines of

Wash-1 hour?
Clip-1 hour?
fluffing-1 hour?
etc-1 hour?

Now, I probably should have been more specific, but like I said--I know nothing!

It all depends on how good a job you want to do & how dedicated you are at it. You can arrive at the show & have the hair looking awful or you can arrive and not need to "glue" before showing. I would like to spend more time but by arms won't let me. I usually spend about 15 minutes am & pm rinsing/misting & brushing. We do NOT FLUFF!! whatever you think that is.

I don't know why breeders would line up to get semen off an "all show no go" bull. Can you convince me?

Do you think just because a bull shows well he isn't a good producer. Where is this question coming from? If the bull isn't good (phenotype, pedigree & EPD's) and he wins a show - trust me, no one will be "lining up" to buy semen on him. Convince you - what?

Latest posts