What's Involved?

Help Support CattleToday:

L Weir":4coq4q3t said:
You use windshield washer fluid? How does that leave the hair? Is this sprayed on the night before and washed off in the morning?

Washer fluid will dry out the hair. Use it for "pop" on show day and wash it out when you break down after the show. Wash it out!!!

LOL we already have the Ultrasound in the dairy shows dont ask for my opinion on that :stop: I love the people who make cattle fitters and fitting to be a sin. Lets go back to the days of no clipping only putting 12 hrs of milk in a cows udder clip her hocks wash her and brush her down then those people who complain there getting beat by the cheaters can still get beat and the animals wont look half as good Yes there is lots of unethical practices in showing and they shouldnt be encouraged but its starting to go to far the other way now the ethical gestipo seems to never be satisfied as soon as they address one problem they move on to the next trick of the trade such as toplines my question is where does it stop? Is it my fault your animal loses because u dont take the time or have the intrest to learn how to properly prepare ur animal? Fitting is merely icing on the cake the real work is done at home and takes a yr round commitment O well thats my 2 cents on it all

Fitting is merely icing on the cake the real work is done at home and takes a yr round commitment O well thats my 2 cents on it all

I believe in doing your homework AT HOME. The hair should have bloom, pop & trained to go where it should - from home work. We don't do a lot of glueing/painting for our shows, but our animals don't look "undressed" like some. Let's face it, when you're getting ready to go to a Prom - you get your hair clipped/styled (even the guys), and wear special new cloths. People will be seeing you compared to others that are "well dressed". Well, you want your cattle to be viewed the same. There are many who over-do the fitting. The steer jocks are probably the worse and best. I do not have the time, patience, or money to do what they do with hair. It is amazing to see some of them. Most of the cattle looking amazing without all the showday grooming products.

Windshield wash - this is basicly like using achohol. If we are in a situation where we can't or don't want to wash the cattle just before showing, we use it. First you lightly mist the cattle with water, than you mist them with windshield wash, brush it in - wait 20 minutes & blow out till completely dry. It pulls the dirt out & pops the hair. And yes, we wash them later. You don't want to use this often because it does dry out the hair. But we usually add a rag oil treatment after the windshield wash.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3hqfbumu said:
But we usually add a rag oil treatment after the windshield wash.

Another option instead of the windshield fluid is bay rum. Get it at sullivan's. Serves the same purpose just smells "pretty"

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1rco693r said:
Let's face it, when you're getting ready to go to a Prom - you get your hair clipped/styled (even the guys), and wear special new cloths. People will be seeing you compared to others that are "well dressed".

Well I never went to a "prom" so I dont know. But it sounds like youre saying you do it because everybody else does it. Either that or else the reason lots of folks dress up fancy. So others will think that they're something that they're not. LOL
Hehehe. On second thought I guess that last part sums up the showcow world pretty good doesnt it :lol:

And for all of you that say just dont participate if you dont want to I have a thought for you..... All of us that pay schooltaxes and county taxes that keep the wheels greased in education dont have any choice.....we're paying for some of that stuff anyway with county agents that spend more time at shows than out on the farm and overpaid ag teachers and their 4 door duallys, credit cards and aluminum trailers and.....the list goes on.
Okay...end of my griping. :lol: Theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in

certherfbeef":8fq79uja said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":8fq79uja said:
But we usually add a rag oil treatment after the windshield wash.

Another option instead of the windshield fluid is bay rum. Get it at sullivan's. Serves the same purpose just smells "pretty"

We use Bay Rum also. DOES smell great. But we use it as a light pop & set, just before walking in the ring - never as a wash.

Excuse me, folks...just wondering what products/remedies you use or have heard of for white on cattle. Not to cover but to brighten. (curious for a couple of our mares) Thank you!

fellersbarnoneranch":10ihrd80 said:
Excuse me, folks...just wondering what products/remedies you use or have heard of for white on cattle. Not to cover but to brighten. (curious for a couple of our mares) Thank you!
Sullivan's Shimmer Lights - but I go to a Beauty Salon supply place, and tell the gal what I need - get the cheapest whitener/brightener, makes the white glisten. Takes about two good scrubbings at each show, but well worth it, hair sparkles :lol: Lots cheaper than cattle products sold.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1sk34e8w said:
We use Bay Rum also. DOES smell great.

I thought Bay Rum was an aftershave that you could drink

dun

[q - but I go to a Beauty Salon supply place, and tell the gal what I need - get the cheapest whitener/brightener, makes the white glisten. Takes about two good scrubbings at each show, but well worth it, hair sparkles :lol: Lots cheaper than cattle products sold.[/quote]

What is the name of the product you purchase from the salon??

tapeworm":89wuvmg2 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":89wuvmg2 said:
Let's face it, when you're getting ready to go to a Prom - you get your hair clipped/styled (even the guys), and wear special new cloths. People will be seeing you compared to others that are "well dressed".

Well I never went to a "prom" so I dont know. But it sounds like youre saying you do it because everybody else does it. Either that or else the reason lots of folks dress up fancy. So others will think that they're something that they're not. LOL
Hehehe. On second thought I guess that last part sums up the showcow world pretty good doesnt it :lol:

And for all of you that say just dont participate if you dont want to I have a thought for you..... All of us that pay schooltaxes and county taxes that keep the wheels greased in education dont have any choice.....we're paying for some of that stuff anyway with county agents that spend more time at shows than out on the farm and overpaid ag teachers and their 4 door duallys, credit cards and aluminum trailers and.....the list goes on.
Okay...end of my griping. :lol: Theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in

I have been quiet for awhile now but this comment really struck a nerve with me. We have show all over the United Startes and we have NEVER has an ag teacher or county agent do one thing for us. We haul our own and take care of all the work ourselves. They have never even been to a show to watch us other than our county fair! The only time our county agent and ag teachjers are involved with what we do is when they have to send in entries (that WE pay for) for the major shows! There are some county agents and ag teachers that gothelp the kids but NOT ALL!

This one kind of got to me too, but for slightly different reasons. Unless you have ever been on a school board, you probably don't realize that 98% of a school budget goes to salaries. And I don't think there are many well informed people that don't believe ALL teachers are way under paid. In Oklahoma, most Ag trucks are driven until they fall apart. Those fancy Aluminum trailers are bought be the Booster club, and only used for county activities 99.9% of the time. As for the county agents, they make less money than a teacher, and spend most of their time helping the folks inside the larger communities grow their gardens, prune their trees, and keep their lawns nice and green. Their show involvement is limited to the County Fair, and even then, most of theit work is in the management and marketing. If we got as good a deal with all our taxes as we do supporting education and extension, I would almost offer to pay more....NOT!!!
txshowmom":f05ka7dn said:
tapeworm":f05ka7dn said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":f05ka7dn said:

I have been quiet for awhile now but this comment really struck a nerve with me. We have show all over the United Startes and we have NEVER has an ag teacher or county agent do one thing for us. We haul our own and take care of all the work ourselves. They have never even been to a show to watch us other than our county fair! The only time our county agent and ag teachjers are involved with what we do is when they have to send in entries (that WE pay for) for the major shows! There are some county agents and ag teachers that gothelp the kids but NOT ALL!

Tapeworm said:
Theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in

Excuse me - You went a little over the top with this statement. Maybe you didn't mean it the way it came out.
Juniors involved in showing cattle are much better people for the experience they get from their projects. I have never met more well-rounded, responsible kids. I would turn your statement around and say there few BETTER things for kids to be involved in :p

CKC1586":om8zd6m2 said:
[q - but I go to a Beauty Salon supply place, and tell the gal what I need - get the cheapest whitener/brightener, makes the white glisten. Takes about two good scrubbings at each show, but well worth it, hair sparkles :lol: Lots cheaper than cattle products sold.

What is the name of the product you purchase from the salon??[/quote]

Sorry, without digging thru our show supplies that are put away, I can't say. Usually a different brand name each time I buy. It's always a blue/purple shampoo for white hair, but it always says it will whiten & brighten. Like I said, if you tell them what you are going to use it on, they'll know what you want, & tell them you want the cheapest product.
Sorry, I couldn't help more.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1i5gss1i said:
Tapeworm said:

Excuse me - You went a little over the top with this statement. Maybe you didn't mean it the way it came out.
Juniors involved in showing cattle are much better people for the experience they get from their projects. I have never met more well-rounded, responsible kids. I would turn your statement around and say there few BETTER things for kids to be involved in :p

In a bassackwards way you're saying the same thing.

dun

dun":2j9nzl2f said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2j9nzl2f said:
Tapeworm said:

Juniors involved in showing cattle are much better people for the experience they get from their projects. I have never met more well-rounded, responsible kids. I would turn your statement around and say there are few BETTER things for kids to be involved in :p

In a bassackwards way you're saying the same thing.

dun
Yeah, but I didn't like the way he sait it! :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2mvtew9m said:
Tapeworm said:

I cant believe you get upset about that. I said theres a lot worse things for kids to be involved in than showing cattle....that made you mad????? I can hable poquito with some of the hands around here....but there must be a language barrier between us out here in cow country and you folks in New York City