What's for Xmas dinner?

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

Reaction score
What's on your table this year?

Usually, I get a ham but they've not been on sale (99 cents lb) so I'm smoking a turkey and for those that may not like smoked turkey, am also having fried chicken (legs and thighs for a dark meat only family)
mashed potatoes
dressing
gravy
cranberry salad
corn
green bean casserole
orange jello with diced carrots
blueberry and gooseberry and pecan pies
carrot cake

We have about 15 people coming.
edited to add: also broccoli cheese soup and home made crab rangoon for appetizers

Mo Gal- That sounds terrific. We will be a inlaws so I am sure there will be ham and potatoes and gravy and sweet potatoes and sweert corn. and cranberry dressing. Along with alot of cookies and pies.

Kids are all going in different directions so it will just be the gate opener and me
My mom and dad were supposed to come down but I doubt they do as they are calling for the weather to get a little iffy
so I guess it will be just us 2
Wife said it didn't matter that I was gonna cook christmas dinner anyway
so I guess I will be cooking
Ham, scalloped taters, corn casserole, green beans and Homemade rolls
I haven't figured anything out for dessert yet as mom was gonna bring that looks like alot of food for just the 2 of us

Christmas eve we usually have fried Cod Fish(Bacala') and Spaghetti with olive oil and anchovies, but this year we are going to the Polish inlaws so not sure what we will have but it will be good. I love their food.

Christmas day same as always Prime Rib with all the fixins.

We'll be having turkey, ham, cheese potato casserole, green beans, creamed corn, cheese rice, pecan pie and some other sweets. I smoked turkeys last night for some gifts and based on the sacrificial test bird I think it the bird will be good. Of course I do plan to be sober for the meal so maybe this might make a difference to the palette.

IMG_4785.jpg

When I host ,it is always prime rib with everything that goes along with a prime rib dinner especially a really nice Malbec or Syrah .

This year my mom is hosting so we are having turkey, 2 ducks, and all the trimmings, pink salad, coleslaw, fresh cranberries, mom's best duck stuffing ever, mashed potatoes ,gravy , fresh homemade buns, fresh green beans , brussel sprouts, and I am making candied yams with a little twist. I also made mini cheesecake balls today to add to the dessert platter that I am sure will be over flowing as usual. When mom does Christmas, even though it is just the 9 of us ,she always goes all out and we love her for it . :D

Hubby got home last night after being gone for over a week so tonight I baked a cedar applewood smoked ham, dressed in peppercorn Dijon and honey (first time I did the cedar apple wood chips in the roaster) and scalloped potatoes, with steamed broccoli and cauliflower for veggies . Mr HD is not a big ham fan as a main course but his second helping meant that it turned out really well . ;-)

For New Years Eve we are having a dinner party and serving Lobster Thermidor , my first attempt at it, but I am sure it will turn out fine as long as I can kill a few lobsters :( :help:

Merry Christmas everyone and Bon Appetit . :tiphat:

Yes, the weather may get a lot "iffy" 70% precip sleet changing to snow may mean nasty ugly weather for xmas day.

I think it would be a disaster trying to have prime rib for the family. Hubby wants his meat "well done" and that ruins any good steak cut. If I even try to have it a little pink he hands it back to me. Last beef we had butchered I traded the filet mignon to the bro in law for perch he caught in the pond because I think its an insult to the cook to want it "well done".

I like to cook and the hubby has 3 bachelor brothers who like to eat. Mom is 74 and she doesn't cook much anymore and Dad can't have any spices so I have to fix his food separately (I didn't know how good food could taste until I got away from home and could pepper it as I cooked it!) Some of the foods we always had as a kid, my hubby's family won't eat such as sweet potatoes, broccoli, cooked turnips (eat raw only), brussel sprouts, spinach, etc.

Sounds like everyone is having lots of good stuff.......

MoGal":uth1d1yz said:
Yes, the weather may get a lot "iffy" 70% precip sleet changing to snow may mean nasty ugly weather for xmas day.

I think it would be a disaster trying to have prime rib for the family. Hubby wants his meat "well done" and that ruins any good steak cut. If I even try to have it a little pink he hands it back to me. Last beef we had butchered I traded the filet mignon to the bro in law for perch he caught in the pond because I think its an insult to the cook to want it "well done".

I like to cook and the hubby has 3 bachelor brothers who like to eat. Mom is 74 and she doesn't cook much anymore and Dad can't have any spices so I have to fix his food separately (I didn't know how good food could taste until I got away from home and could pepper it as I cooked it!) Some of the foods we always had as a kid, my hubby's family won't eat such as sweet potatoes, broccoli, cooked turnips (eat raw only), brussel sprouts, spinach, etc.

Sounds like everyone is having lots of good stuff.......
Dang Mo Gal Your husband sounds like my Ex wife just give them a piece of shoe leather to chew on instead of a good steak
if hers was a little crispy on the edges all the better :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Prime rib here too! The sister-in-law and daughter-in-law take care of the well done ends so the rest of us can
enjoy that pink/red middle! Roasted asparagus, waldorf salad, mashed potatoes. Mmmm. Almond joy cake
and pecan pie. I'm having a hard time waiting on the food, I love to cook. #2 son is going to his SIL's that
evening so he can get his ham fix as well....

Having prime rib also, with brenaise sauce, fresh green beans, baked potato, fresh salad, hopefully some fresh turnip greens and the best apple pie ever with ice cream and whipped cream. :banana:

Just the 4 of us.

Having prime rib, potatos, jello, rolls and pumpkin pie.
Thinking about making Yorkshire Pudding. Yum!
Not much, but the family is not crazy about leftovers.
Having clam chowder on Christmas Eve a family tradition on my side.

We're going to my in-laws and I honestly don't know what all is on the menu. We are deep frying a turkey and we will wrap it and let it rest on the drive up there. Typically, there is ham and all kinds of side dishes. There are a few "well done" diehards in this group, too, so that pretty much leaves out having a nice roast beef. But tomorrow night, for Christmas Eve dinner at home, beef is what's for dinner.

Roast beef, pork roast, ham, sweet potatoes, green peas, corn casserole, green salad, cornbread and rolls, coffee, tea, wine or beer...whichever you prefer. Chocolate pie, coconut pie and peach cobbler for dessert. Should have about 20 folks show up. (hopefully that's all). Somewhere in all this hullabaloo I gotta find a time and a place for a good nap.

Just my wife and I this year and while the following may sound like a joke it's not. We decided to have a prime rib roast for xmas dinner, we also decided to buy each of our staff members one for xmas... so I picked us up one to save it for xmas... I cooked it up with baked potatoes, corn and rolls last Monday night. Then while buying the roast for our staff, I saw the store had a great buy on hams, so I went back a bought one for xmas. Wednesday night we had ham and eggs with hash browns, had ham and scalloped potatoes last night, tired of ham and feeding the rest to the dogs for a couple of days..... we put a Turkey out to start thawing last night. :roll:
It's xmas and we have been eating very well the last week.

Merry Xmas to all,
Alan

Tonights menu is pizza and wings. Christmas dinner everyones coming here, in-laws, my parents, couple of my brothers. So I'm smoking one of our fresh hams, a store bought ham, green beans, mashed taters, all the usual stuff. Wifes been baking all day so there's a whole bunch of desserts.
Joe, those birds look great!

Merry Christmas. I meant to post the other day but now I am glad I waited. We had Ribeyes ! I took my mom to church and
came home and cooked her a steak. I know she kind of winced when I proposed it but she went along. It was great when during the news later they announced President Obama is in Hawaii and that his family will have steak for Xmas dinner !

Theres a bunch of us that don't have much family around for Christmas, so we get together at a local warehouse and have a fish fry :roll: :roll: :roll:
Can't complain too much, the men folk are doing all the work

Howdyjabo":2xr59zx0 said:
Theres a bunch of us that don't have much family around for Christmas, so we get together at a local warehouse and have a fish fry :roll: :roll: :roll:
Can't complain too much, the men folk are doing all the work
There ain't no bad time nor wrong time for a good fish fry and I'm sure with a bunch of the guys getting together the first liar didn't stand a chance. :lol2:

Latest posts