whats a good breed to start with

Help Support CattleToday:

superx

Reaction score
:?: :!: :?: :!: what is a good breed to start with i really like the herefords any suggestions?[/b]

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2jd9t6j4 said:
Yes, go to my website,there is a link to the murray grey international association with a list of breeders in Florida. ;-) :cboy:
what is you web site address :) :cboy:

Do you have any WW, YW, BW or Epds on these cattle. Or is there regisration numbers we can check for that info. Thanks Farmguy

Individual breeders should be able to give you that info on the cattle they have for sale. There are breeders in Wisconsin and other places close to you.Find them at murraygrey international association, which you can link from my website, springerfarms.com . Who knows,you could be the first Murray Grey breeder in Minnesota! ;-) :cboy:

superx":21h381gr said:
:?: :!: :?: :!: what is a good breed to start with i really like the herefords any suggestions?[/b]

If you like Herefords and the sell well in your area the way you plan on marketing them, get Herefords

dun

Seriously, before you decide on a breed do your homework,talk to people, do a google search on the different breeds,cattletoday has a lot of good info on the different breeds, look at several different breeds before you make up your mind (that is what I did).See what sells in your area. Have your facilities in place (good fences,corral,squeeze chute with headgate, water supply, determine how many cattle you can stock on your available grass,etc before you get your first cow. Your county agent will be a big help in this area. How many head you want to run will be a factor in what kind of cattle you need to go with. You can make more money with registered rather than commercial if you just have a few cattle. Decide whether you want to go with a bull or A.I. If you plan on doing the majority of work yourself, you had better choose a breed that is known for its docility. Also, having the proper working facilities will make the job easier. Put as much money as you can in your facilities and equipment,it will save you headaches in the future.Probably one of the most important considerations, is choose a breed that you can love....this will make the work of taking care of them much easier, and believe me....it is a lot of work! ;-) :) :cboy:

I'd say get Brangus. They work very well in that area. Theirs a lot of big farms around that area. You could get some very god cattle. Go to the ibba's website and their is a pinoint brangus breeders link to find cattleman near you. You could probaly find some breeders around your area.

dun":6b1nl1hr said:
superx":6b1nl1hr said:

If you like Herefords and the sell well in your area the way you plan on marketing them, get Herefords

dun

I agree like dun said just make sure that they are good sellers were you live. Alot of people do well with Herefords. You have a polled option and also the option of putting a Angus bull on them for replacment Hefiers or just good baldies to sell.

Yeah right! Herefords in Florida sounds like a great idea. *sarcasm*

If you want the look of hereford, for florida i'd recommend beefmasters ( you can get white-faced ones if you want ) or braford (just make sure they are sane). Brangus would be another good option if you are open to black cattle. Again, make sure they are sane.

Longhorns are a good breed to start with, if you don't mind the horns. Although there aren't many breeders out that direction, there are some.

alabama":2alncxey said:

How do angus handle the heat and humidity in Florida? Outside of brangus, are there many black cows in Florida?

In Florida if you like Herefords try Brafords half my herd is Braford the rest are a little of everything had real bad luck with Limo,Angus [for most parts] alot of people like the Gelv/red angus/braford at the Adams Ranch

Latest posts