What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

First when you say great EPD'S what's his CE and BW score? His percentage is fine but the score would be better and accuracy. Next how hard was she fed out prior to the sale, that would and could increase calf size. Next look her up to see if past calves had big birth weights, and if so see what the out come of those animals were. Then you can make a better decision on what to do with him.

double v":2iow23d4 said:
First when you say great EPD'S what's his CE and BW score? His percentage is fine but the score would be better and accuracy. Next how hard was she fed out prior to the sale, that would and could increase calf size. Next look her up to see if past calves had big birth weights, and if so see what the out come of those animals were. Then you can make a better decision on what to do with him.
Double V, his calving ease is a 12 and his BW is 0.3. They are low accuracy. Her history is mid 80's on her previous calves. Only one other bull in her progeny and he is only a year old.

I would take that 105 number with a grain of salt. A gallon of milk weighs about 9#. A thin calf born to a good milking cow can pack on a lot of weight quick. Who's to say he didn't weigh 95 when he hit the ground? Unfortunately for you, 105 is what you have to go on, but if his weaning weight mirrors his birthweight I wouldn't worry a bit. Lots of people are starting to say trust EPD's before actuals, and I'm starting to become a believer in that. GE-EPD's are going to help even more.

I was saying it. I weigh hundreds of calves, and often double check one from the day before if its within reach, to check my scale. They don't gain a lb hardly in the first day, let alone 10.

Supa Dexta":fooxpu1q said:
I was saying it. I weigh hundreds of calves, and often double check one from the day before if its within reach, to check my scale. They don't gain a lb hardly in the first day, let alone 10.
Yeah supa dexta but thats your calves they don`t gain a lb hardly in the first year either :lol: :hide:

ABS has a 4 star calving ease Angus bull that had a birthweight of 92 pounds and his EPD for CED is +11.
I wouldn't use your bull on heifers but like you mentioned you have to look at the whole package.

Used a bull to breed a group of cows last year that was out of a good old cow. When he was born, I weighed him, got back to the truck, I doubted myself when I went to write down his 95 pound birth weight from the first weighing and went back and weighed him the 2nd time after I thought about how he looked and was shaped. But he weighed that the second time, too! :roll: The cow was 11 YO, I think. Calves have been in the 80 to 85 pound range. Good calves, too.

Supa Dexta":2pqtcrx7 said:
ez14":2pqtcrx7 said:
Yeah supa dexta but thats your calves they don`t gain a lb hardly in the first year either :lol: :hide:

Is this the part where we compare calves now?
Nah i haven`t had a calf born yet (and wont for a year yet) im just poking fun at you (i do have a holstein calf that i bought but thats it) in a few years when im getting the quality calves i want then we can compare

My only advice is this ... if you sell him as a breeding bull, disclose.

Not every bull with a fancy pedigree deserves to become a breeding bull. Keep your knife sharp.