What do they say about a box of chocolates

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There is 53 assorted BM cows in the field right now. Five have calved so far. You can see from the picture they are mostly black. Maybe 8 assorted reds and 4 Charolais. 4 of the 5 who have calved so far are black or black whitefaced. There is only one black calf. The red brockle face calf is the only one with its mother. Actually that cow and the mothers of the solid red and the black all came from the same ranch.

P3023091.JPGP3023087.JPGP3023088.JPGP3023090.JPGP3023089.JPGP3023093.JPG

I got 5 cows on Wednesday, 3 blacks, 1 blue roan, and one Hereford. B's son hauled them home and just dropped them at B's corral. B and I decided I would bring my big cow down and we would run them all through his chute later today. Just drove by there going to the post office. There looks to be a brand new solid red calf in the pen with them. Didn't have to wait long for that one.

There is 53 assorted BM cows in the field right now. Five have calved so far. You can see from the picture they are mostly black. Maybe 8 assorted reds and 4 Charolais. 4 of the 5 who have calved so far are black or black whitefaced. There is only one black calf. The red brockle face calf is the only one with its mother. Actually that cow and the mothers of the solid red and the black all came from the same ranch.

View attachment 26904View attachment 26905View attachment 26906View attachment 26907View attachment 26908View attachment 26909
I think the calves look very healthy and I am impressed with the condition of the BM cows.

hmm... was it an extra sunny breeding season? Maybe sunburn :)
Ten of the cows I bought came from the same ranch. He told me that has has 10 Red Angus bulls and 4 black bulls. So the red calves from those cows doesn't surprise me. The one this morning is out of a black cow of B's. In his bull field the Charolais and Black Angus bulls out number the Red Angus 39 to 1. The odds of getting a red calf are significantly lower.

Well add another one to the box of chocolates. There is a Hereford cow I got last Wednesday. She calfed last night. A sure enough Shorthorn looking calf. Not roan but red with assorted white markings. This is the second cow out of the 5 I bought that day to calf. The first one to calf was black cow but a lot of white on her belly and she had a red calf. One of the other cows is a blue roan. I am guessing these people like Shorthorns and have a Shorthorn bull. Actually 4 of the 5 I bought that day came from the same place. It is going to be interesting to see what the other two cows from that ranch bring into this world.

I finally had another black calf today. Calf #1 was black. Today calf #12 was black. By my faulty calculations 9 of the cows to calf so far have been black. Lots of reds and a few char cross calves.

Latest posts