What would be the logic here.

Help Support CattleToday:

tdarden3k

Reaction score
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/grd/3827649318.html

Found this Craigslist post a few days ago. It is about 100 miles from where my farm is. looks like great cattle . I then read his description and wondered why anyone would be be breeding cattle this way. Can someone spread some light on this for me. "Bred to Black or Red Longhorn Bulls " Wouldn't this be a generation of throw aways ?

Not to offend Longhorn breeders but a Longhorn X Angus ?

tdarden3k":32vu2zxv said:
Could that not be accomplished with an Angus Bull ?

or a lot of others with some good calving ease. it's more a money issue than anything. longhorns and corrientes are cheap so cheap aholes use them and create a throwaway calf under the guise of being kind to their heifers.

it's stupid and counterproductive!

kenny thomas":ey238i36 said:
I know its not the issue but I don't care if they are bred to a billygoat, that sure is a nice group of heifers.
Too bad you won't see the quality of their calves for another two years. It's shame that they just wasted a year of productive life.

kenny thomas":m36s61xw said:
I know its not the issue but I don't care if they are bred to a billygoat, that sure is a nice group of heifers.
You really think those are all heifers? If you had that nice a set and that much stinking grass I would think you would have more faith in them cows than most LH could provide.

I do agree that they don't all look like heifers and I have never seen grass like that in Texas so how about I like the looks of those cows. Oh, I just noticed its on Dallas craiglist but it says they are in Arkansas.
And 3way I do agree they would be lots better bred to a different breed. But then someone would probably ask 2,000 for them.

I saw that ad and thought the same thing. Even worse is some folks will breed their beef heifers to a jersey bull for the first calf. Those look like decent cows that could handle a lot more calving size.

Yeah it would be my luck to buy a bunch of the better looking of these offspring as Angus, breed them to a Horned Hereford Bull, and end up with a bunch of Beevo's.

Yes definately could happen.
Anybody notice that there is at least 3 different types/colors ear tags. Could mean traders. Good trader always removes the tags. :roll:

Wow. A breeding heifers to a longhorn bull thread. Just what I've been waiting for.

To answer your question tdarden of shedding some light:
1. Absolute calving ease
2. If you cull every animal that loses a calf, as I do. You will have more 2nd calf cows to show for your work. The investment in a heifer by the time she calves is obserd in my book.
3. Many heifers don't raise a scale breaker the first time out any way.
4. Spend less time checking, pulling, calling vet for c sections
5. If you are breeding several heifers. In my opinion, the total pounds of calves to sell is close to equal, when you are assuming a death loss of almost zero on the LH calves.
6. Yes. You can find low birth weight bulls of any breed. Have yourself one good train wreckon a misleading epd on 30 to 50 heifers, and you will remember it.
7. Just because something defies normal logic, doesn't mean that it defies all logic. It depends on what you put the value on. The first calf crop, or the heifer itself. I have $1400 to $1500 in a heifer I keep, by the time she is long bred. A calf that brings $150 to $200 less at weaning is my payment on an insurance policy for a young cow with a long productive life.
8. I would use a black corriente, and avoid the spot problem.

Bigfoot":1u2glzb2 said:
Wow. A breeding heifers to a longhorn bull thread. Just what I've been waiting for.

To answer your question tdarden of shedding some light:
1. Absolute calving ease
2. If you cull every animal that loses a calf, as I do. You will have more 2nd calf cows to show for your work. The investment in a heifer by the time she calves is obserd in my book.
3. Many heifers don't raise a scale breaker the first time out any way.
4. Spend less time checking, pulling, calling vet for c sections
5. If you are breeding several heifers. In my opinion, the total pounds of calves to sell is close to equal, when you are assuming a death loss of almost zero on the LH calves.
6. Yes. You can find low birth weight bulls of any breed. Have yourself one good train wreckon a misleading epd on 30 to 50 heifers, and you will remember it.
7. Just because something defies normal logic, doesn't mean that it defies all logic. It depends on what you put the value on. The first calf crop, or the heifer itself. I have $1400 to $1500 in a heifer I keep, by the time she is long bred. A calf that brings $150 to $200 less at weaning is my payment on an insurance policy for a young cow with a long productive life.
8. I would use a black corriente, and avoid the spot problem.
Good thing it's just your hobby and you can do whatever you can! But I would think that it's just lazy way for someone to dealing with the heifers using LH/corriente bulls on them and then discarded these crossbred calves that no one wants. And even using LH/corriente bulls on the heifers, doesn't mean the heifers are safe from the culling.

Bigfoot":17gq7yx8 said:
Taurus,

What would you know about my work ethic?
Like I said, when someone used a LH or a corriente or a miniature or a jersey bull on the heifers, it's usually less stressful and less hassles for the farmers. But why would I want an Angus heifer that cannot have an average Angus calf on her own?

Taurus,

What is your buddies death loss on heifers? Not the one that injected pink eye in the black baldies. The other one.

Bigfoot":2la7g3d3 said:
Taurus,

What is your buddies death loss on heifers? Not the one that injected pink eye in the black baldies. The other one.
What are you talking about?

* He cull the heifers hard...mainly due to poor mothering or rejected a calf.

Bigfoot":ejymxcih said:
Taurus,

But here's my question for you: what makes you thinking that Angus heifers cannot have an average Angus calf on their own?

Did you read my post. It was about economics, not about breeds. The OP asked a valid question, I answered it. Why wouldn't any breed heifer not be able to have an average calf of the same breed? The question was about logic.

With this group of great looking heifers, you don't think that they cant afford a good Angus bull or cannot handle an Angus calf. You can get decent calves out of heifers if bred to Angus bull than a LH bull. Sorry but I see this as a lazy and cheap way to use these bulls on heifers.

Latest posts