What would be the logic here.

Help Support CattleToday:

I knew a woman on another forum who ran a ranch in Wyoming on her own. She was no young woman, I'll leave it at that. She bred all her heifers to LH. She seldom had calving problems. I don't think her 3 year olds had any more calving issues than any other peoples 3 year olds. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think she saved any heifers sired by the LH.

I wouldn't do that with registered stock of the British breeds, and probably not with most Continental breeds. But if you've got crossbred cattle then you're starting to roll the dice on birth weights. I think the LH have a place in those herds on the heifers.

Isomade":3v9nnwki said:
I calved out 45 heifers this year and will calve out about that many each hear for the foreseeable future. One train wreck will make you change your mind and at least consider a corriente. I run a business full time and wound up pulling 11 calves losing 7. The first 15 calves came with no problem whatsoever. The next 30 is where the 11 pulls came from. I was checking the heifers at 6pm, 10pm, 12:30am, and 5am then going to work and my wife checked them at 9am, 1pm, and 3pm. At the end of the 6 weeks I was a walking zombie from lack of sleep. Just one bad season like this can make all the difference. Personally I believe if you think using a corriente is an absolute NO, then you probably haven't calved very many out or for very long. Eventually a train wreck will happen. If you are any good at math at all you will figure out theat one bad season can eat up all the difference. Once upon a time a few years ago I even made fun of a fella for even suggesting it. I cannot remember who that was but I was a fool and would like to apologize. There is absolutely no one way to do this business and be successful. If you think there is just one way, you don't have much experience.

I'm going to hijack the thread to ask Iso a question. Did your feed supply change part of the way through your calving season, like your grass started to come on? The reason I ask, we don't calve anywhere near that number of heifers but we were going along great with calving. I was patting myself on the back for not having to pull any. Then suddenly we had 2 in a row that had to be pulled, they were almost to the end of that group. I suspect the grass that started to grow about 2 weeks before had bumped up the calf size enough to cause problems. Any that calved after that had enough time for the heifer to grow a bit and maybe add enough muscle and energy reserve to get her through the tough part on her own.

[/quote]
No, you are wrong wrong wrong, you have no idea you to run a ranch you are lazy you have no idea how to make money with cattle, and all longhorn cross cattle must be killed and buried, because they can't be eaten and you have to pay at the Salebarn to get a buyer to haul them off.[/quote]

I hope you simply forgot to add the smiley face at the end of your "rant" Denver.

Chris H":2yjxvwgv said:
I knew a woman on another forum who ran a ranch in Wyoming on her own. She was no young woman, I'll leave it at that. She bred all her heifers to LH. She seldom had calving problems. I don't think her 3 year olds had any more calving issues than any other peoples 3 year olds. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think she saved any heifers sired by the LH.

I wouldn't do that with registered stock of the British breeds, and probably not with most Continental breeds. But if you've got crossbred cattle then you're starting to roll the dice on birth weights. I think the LH have a place in those herds on the heifers.

I am sure you all know that I am no proponent of using either LH or Corriente bulls...period. However i can agree with Chris here that under the right circumstances it might be appropriate.
However as a seedstock breeder I am adamant that if a heifer cannot have a calf out of a bull in her own breed that is considered to have above avg calving ease then she shouldn't be in anyones herd.
I own at least 3 cows that for whatever reason had calves well over 90 lbs on their first calf...unassisted. In my mind that's how it should be!

No, you are wrong wrong wrong, you have no idea you to run a ranch you are lazy you have no idea how to make money with cattle, and all longhorn cross cattle must be killed and buried, because they can't be eaten and you have to pay at the Salebarn to get a buyer to haul them off.[/quote]

I hope you simply forgot to add the smiley face at the end of your "rant" Denver.[/quote]
I didn't really think there would be a need to be one, but you are right there did,I just felt the same as NMV about the "lazy" and "throwaway" idea. And since it did need one here it is :D

Chris H":29mrmj73 said:
Isomade":29mrmj73 said:
I calved out 45 heifers this year and will calve out about that many each hear for the foreseeable future. One train wreck will make you change your mind and at least consider a corriente. I run a business full time and wound up pulling 11 calves losing 7. The first 15 calves came with no problem whatsoever. The next 30 is where the 11 pulls came from. I was checking the heifers at 6pm, 10pm, 12:30am, and 5am then going to work and my wife checked them at 9am, 1pm, and 3pm. At the end of the 6 weeks I was a walking zombie from lack of sleep. Just one bad season like this can make all the difference. Personally I believe if you think using a corriente is an absolute NO, then you probably haven't calved very many out or for very long. Eventually a train wreck will happen. If you are any good at math at all you will figure out theat one bad season can eat up all the difference. Once upon a time a few years ago I even made fun of a fella for even suggesting it. I cannot remember who that was but I was a fool and would like to apologize. There is absolutely no one way to do this business and be successful. If you think there is just one way, you don't have much experience.

I'm going to hijack the thread to ask Iso a question. Did your feed supply change part of the way through your calving season, like your grass started to come on? The reason I ask, we don't calve anywhere near that number of heifers but we were going along great with calving. I was patting myself on the back for not having to pull any. Then suddenly we had 2 in a row that had to be pulled, they were almost to the end of that group. I suspect the grass that started to grow about 2 weeks before had bumped up the calf size enough to cause problems. Any that calved after that had enough time for the heifer to grow a bit and maybe add enough muscle and energy reserve to get her through the tough part on her own.
No change from beginning to end.

kenny thomas":ovklv5g3 said:
Yes definately could happen.
Anybody notice that there is at least 3 different types/colors ear tags. Could mean traders. Good trader always removes the tags. :roll:
I think all the tags are the same. I believe it was the camera making them look like different colors. Type looks the same.
At that price if you could talk him down just a little they could be turned later and some good money made.

Probably not necessary for most operations east of the Mississippi, where folks are actually watching those calving heifers, but I know of several big purebred outfits out west that use LH bulls on their Angus heifers - these girls are running on BIG pastures- thousands of acres - and not necessarily going to be seen in the act of calving - they want these first-timers to calve out easily with a calf that's gonna get up fast, she can love it up, and figure out what she needs to do to be a good mama. They look at that ANxLH calf as a 'coupon' - if she redeems her coupon, she gets to stay as a cow. Better a smaller/lesser quality calf - that someone will buy - than a dead one, and possibly a dead heifer to boot.

Here's one - lengthy, but worth reading: http://www.keeneyscorner.com/t163-longh ... utte-ranch

3waycross":3pkx2m9x said:
I am sure you all know that I am no proponent of using either LH or Corriente bulls...period. However i can agree with Chris here that under the right circumstances it might be appropriate.
However as a seedstock breeder I am adamant that if a heifer cannot have a calf out of a bull in her own breed that is considered to have above avg calving ease then she shouldn't be in anyones herd.
I own at least 3 cows that for whatever reason had calves well over 90 lbs on their first calf...unassisted. In my mind that's how it should be!

Instead of downgrading to a two bit bull it makes much more sense to have cattle that are capable of actually calving. Some are simply not built to calve anything larger than a rabbit, some give up quickly (holsteins) even with normal size calves. Many are just easy calvers. (Not unlike our female counterparts).