What would be the logic here.

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus,

Order hooked on phonics. It will help you tremendously. I never said either of those things in my post.

Has anyone calculated how many additional weaned pounds it takes to offset the loss of a heavy bred heifer? It'll only take losing one $3k heifer to throw you off your high horse real quick like. I'm able to watch my heifers closely but many live off the farm and are only in a position to check on them weekly. If I were one of those people I would be much more risk averse.

Rowdy":3u0jwnir said:
Has anyone calculated how many additional weaned pounds it takes to offset the loss of a heavy bred heifer? It'll only take losing one $3k heifer to throw you off your high horse real quick like. I'm able to watch my heifers closely but many live off the farm and are only in a position to check on them weekly. If I were one of those people I would be much more risk averse.

Why in God's name would you breed a $3,000 heifer to a LH or a Corriente. I have to assume that she would be a registered heifer for that much money and the only thing dumber than wasting a calf out of a commercial heifer would be to waste a calf out of a registered heifer?

3waycross":5rfqnp6e said:
Rowdy":5rfqnp6e said:

Why in God's name would you breed a $3,000 heifer to a LH or a Corriente. I have to assume that she would be a registered heifer for that much money and the only thing dumber than wasting a calf out of a commercial heifer would be to waste a calf out of a registered heifer?

Maybe the corriente or LH bull is registered as well. :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:

Nope, young buck like myself can't afford to play with the registered LHs. Being a Texan you ought to know thats a big boy sport.

3ways use of waste is inconsistent.

Hypothetical. Your friends friend buys some crossbred heifers to put on his family land. He is only able to check the heifers on the weekends and sometimes -bc of work- hes only able to get up there twice a month. He's called you and ask : What bull should I use?

Rowdy":1uflyvsv said:
Nope, young buck like myself can't afford to play with the registered LHs. Being a Texan you ought to know thats a big boy sport.

3ways use of waste is inconsistent.

Hypothetical. Your friends friend buys some crossbred heifers to put on his family land. He is only able to check the heifers on the weekends and sometimes -bc of work- hes only able to get up there twice a month. He's called you and ask : What bull should I use?
Black char. That way you find out which ones don't perform and the ones that survive you make a mint on the cab calves :roll:

you've been sittin back readin Hoards too long. Make your way up to ft worth next Jan for the Longhorn sale. Your chuckles will turn into head shakes when you see the highest selling breeding stock of all the sales being the Longhorns.

Rowdy":f2iwk7cl said:
you've been sittin back readin Hoards too long. Make your way up to ft worth next Jan for the Longhorn sale. Your chuckles will turn into head shakes when you see the highest selling breeding stock of all the sales being the Longhorns.
Could it be that "Barnum was right"?

Bigfoot":3jknwbmz said:
Taurus,

Order hooked on phonics. It will help you tremendously. I never said either of those things in my post.
Just because you can do whatever you want, doesn't mean it is right way.

Rowdy":2ho1fvvw said:

People love expensive toys. This country is full of longhorns. Friend has a championship Long Horn "Steer". Don't have a clue waht she'll do with it after they quit showing it's horns. Mount it I guess. Wild Bill in the Panhandle has some good lookin' longhorns. Another guy signs on occasionally and promotes his "riding longhorns". Folks bye them around here and loan them out to ropers to rope and "raise". Then sell them and make some money. Otherwise you get about half price what a good cow or calf will bring in the open market.

Taurus":185gd7zh said:
Bigfoot":185gd7zh said:
Wow. A breeding heifers to a longhorn bull thread. Just what I've been waiting for.

To answer your question tdarden of shedding some light:
1. Absolute calving ease
2. If you cull every animal that loses a calf, as I do. You will have more 2nd calf cows to show for your work. The investment in a heifer by the time she calves is obserd in my book.
3. Many heifers don't raise a scale breaker the first time out any way.
4. Spend less time checking, pulling, calling vet for c sections
5. If you are breeding several heifers. In my opinion, the total pounds of calves to sell is close to equal, when you are assuming a death loss of almost zero on the LH calves.
6. Yes. You can find low birth weight bulls of any breed. Have yourself one good train wreckon a misleading epd on 30 to 50 heifers, and you will remember it.
7. Just because something defies normal logic, doesn't mean that it defies all logic. It depends on what you put the value on. The first calf crop, or the heifer itself. I have $1400 to $1500 in a heifer I keep, by the time she is long bred. A calf that brings $150 to $200 less at weaning is my payment on an insurance policy for a young cow with a long productive life.
8. I would use a black corriente, and avoid the spot problem.
Good thing it's just your hobby and you can do whatever you can! But I would think that it's just lazy way for someone to dealing with the heifers using LH/corriente bulls on them and then discarded these crossbred calves that no one wants. And even using LH/corriente bulls on the heifers, doesn't mean the heifers are safe from the culling.

We run a ranch that pays for itself and use longhorns all the time for many reasons listed above. To assume laziness is an insult.
Besides, these "throw away" cows that are produced taste just fine.

As I poked around for a Bull to breed my Baldies I had some suggest breeding em to LH. I think it's not uncommon practice in Central& South Texas. Lazy? I Think it's more tradition on unknown quality heifers or just a " get em breed" mentality. I'm going w a young Angus bull and putting faith in my heifers to perform. I just hope #67 don't throw something crazy on his first trip to the ball park.

I calved out 45 heifers this year and will calve out about that many each hear for the foreseeable future. One train wreck will make you change your mind and at least consider a corriente. I run a business full time and wound up pulling 11 calves losing 7. The first 15 calves came with no problem whatsoever. The next 30 is where the 11 pulls came from. I was checking the heifers at 6pm, 10pm, 12:30am, and 5am then going to work and my wife checked them at 9am, 1pm, and 3pm. At the end of the 6 weeks I was a walking zombie from lack of sleep. Just one bad season like this can make all the difference. Personally I believe if you think using a corriente is an absolute NO, then you probably haven't calved very many out or for very long. Eventually a train wreck will happen. If you are any good at math at all you will figure out theat one bad season can eat up all the difference. Once upon a time a few years ago I even made fun of a fella for even suggesting it. I cannot remember who that was but I was a fool and would like to apologize. There is absolutely no one way to do this business and be successful. If you think there is just one way, you don't have much experience.

NMVaquero":2nvyu8ud said:
Taurus":2nvyu8ud said:
Bigfoot":2nvyu8ud said:
Wow. A breeding heifers to a longhorn bull thread. Just what I've been waiting for.

To answer your question tdarden of shedding some light:
1. Absolute calving ease
2. If you cull every animal that loses a calf, as I do. You will have more 2nd calf cows to show for your work. The investment in a heifer by the time she calves is obserd in my book.
3. Many heifers don't raise a scale breaker the first time out any way.
4. Spend less time checking, pulling, calling vet for c sections
5. If you are breeding several heifers. In my opinion, the total pounds of calves to sell is close to equal, when you are assuming a death loss of almost zero on the LH calves.
6. Yes. You can find low birth weight bulls of any breed. Have yourself one good train wreckon a misleading epd on 30 to 50 heifers, and you will remember it.
7. Just because something defies normal logic, doesn't mean that it defies all logic. It depends on what you put the value on. The first calf crop, or the heifer itself. I have $1400 to $1500 in a heifer I keep, by the time she is long bred. A calf that brings $150 to $200 less at weaning is my payment on an insurance policy for a young cow with a long productive life.
8. I would use a black corriente, and avoid the spot problem.
Good thing it's just your hobby and you can do whatever you can! But I would think that it's just lazy way for someone to dealing with the heifers using LH/corriente bulls on them and then discarded these crossbred calves that no one wants. And even using LH/corriente bulls on the heifers, doesn't mean the heifers are safe from the culling.

We run a ranch that pays for itself and use longhorns all the time for many reasons listed above. To assume laziness is an insult.
Besides, these "throw away" cows that are produced taste just fine.
No, you are wrong wrong wrong, you have no idea you to run a ranch you are lazy you have no idea how to make money with cattle, and all longhorn cross cattle must be killed and buried, because they can't be eaten and you have to pay at the Salebarn to get a buyer to haul them off.

Isomade,

I met my match in 2007. Thirty five half charlois heifers. I can't remember the particulars of numbers of calves lost, but I do remember 2 were c sections. Half way through the ordeal, I vowed that from the point where the son now stands, I shall fight no more forever. Been doing it my way ever since. Forgot to add, i was building house the same year, made it an extra big pain. Everybody's view of what this forum is for is different. I enjoy seeing pictures of cattle operations in places, that I will probably never go. I also consider myself a life long learner, and occasionally pick up some good info here. I rarely add anything of substance to the conversation. I do think that corriente/LH bulls on heifers is a sound principle. I'll probably never convince anyone of that. It works for me, so I do it. What works for me may not work for another, I respect that. I've never "intentionally" bred one of heifer bulls to any of my seasoned cows.

Great post ISO.

If I weren't able to check on my heifers I'd look into lowlines or even some lines of angus. My vet is breeding a line of frame 3 angus cattle that throw mid 40lb calves. I can't imagine having dystocia related issues with those bulls- at the same time, I don't know if you're not just prolonging issues till you use a reasonable bw bull year 2.

I don't see anything wrong with using a Jersey, Longhorn or Corriente bull on a first calf heifer. You are looking at a young cow calving around 2 years old. She isn't through growing and having the foresight to think of the benefit of the heifer is the way to go. Better getting a smaller than average calf with a successful delivery than possibly a dead cow or ruined cow.

Besides, if you want, you can sell the calf as a bottle calf and then let the heifer grow and breed back. Chances are it will be black and will bring good $$$ at the sale barn. Many of our beef heifers over the year's first calf was by a Jersey bull.

Latest posts