What type bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

The one good thing about throwing out the word Angus is that you are truly giving a fellow options. There is more variance in the Angus breed than there are common cattle breeds in North America.

Uniform color frenchie, but if you want a uniform calf crop sired by Angus for sale, you had better find some 1/2 brothers and have a pretty uniform cow herd.

frenchie":27j0duo3 said:
Msscamp ...Just so you know I have no axe to grind with M.Gs either..

I.M.H.O .When he said he was running a Angus bull on mixed cows..Why not continue that way for a few yrs, keeping back replacements till you have a fairly uniform herd to work with that produces consistent uniform calves out of whatever breed sire he chooses.Up here good sized lots of quality uniform calves can sell for a 10 cent or more premium per lb .

I appreciate the clarification Frenchie, but that thought never crossed my mind. What you are saying makes sense, but he could do the same thing with a good Murray Grey bull. I'll have to get some pictures of the weaning calves and post them. They are a very uniform bunch.

rkaiser":2uz9vklv said:
The one good thing about throwing out the word Angus is that you are truly giving a fellow options. There is more variance in the Angus breed than there are common cattle breeds in North America.

Uniform color frenchie, but if you want a uniform calf crop sired by Angus for sale, you had better find some 1/2 brothers and have a pretty uniform cow herd.

Randy.. The idea was to get a uniform set of cows period.The only reason I said Angus was because that was where he was coming from.I agree the use of 1/2 brothers of any decent sire breed would be the ticket.

msscamp":g7zjo0bs said:
frenchie":g7zjo0bs said:

I.M.H.O .When he said he was running a Angus bull on mixed cows..Why not continue that way for a few yrs, keeping back replacements till you have a fairly uniform herd to work with that produces consistent uniform calves out of whatever breed sire he chooses.Up here good sized lots of quality uniform calves can sell for a 10 cent or more premium per lb .

I appreciate the clarification Frenchie, but that thought never crossed my mind. What you are saying makes sense, but he could do the same thing with a good Murray Grey bull. I'll have to get some pictures of the weaning calves and post them. They are a very uniform bunch.

I do realize it could be done with .M.Gs or any other decent breed.But If he is already retaining heifers, he has a head start in the Angus direction,thats all.

i agree with frankie. you could do it using Miniature Hereford/ Watusi cross bulls over time but the poster already has angus blood to start with.

frenchie":q4rwewj3 said:
msscamp":q4rwewj3 said:
frenchie":q4rwewj3 said:

I do realize it could be done with .M.Gs or any other decent breed.But If he is already retaining heifers, he has a head start in the Angus direction,thats all.

Ok, I see where you're coming from. Sorry to be so dense. :oops: :lol:

Isn't it funny how so many people in one industry can have different opinions?

Just chuckling after reading S.R.R.'s post (not mocking), because when Honey and I were in Clyde selling the calves, we were talking to a fellow who feeds to finish quite a few head every year.

He had a different view. He says he's no longer buying calves with Limo in them, as he's found that they're consistently the last ones to finish per groups in his pens.

In his opinion, they stress too easily, and as he has to feed them longer, it costs him more, therefore cutting into his profit margin.

Anyway, just enjoying the diversity of people and opinions.

I'd go with whatever your heart desires, as you're the one who's got to tend them. Might want to peek into your local sale barn and check out which breeds are getting the most dollars.

Take care.

Since you are in Bama, brangus could be the directionyou need to go, depends on the Brahma influence you already have, or not have.

Beefy":2u5uxj2r said:
i agree with frankie. you could do it using Miniature Hereford/ Watusi cross bulls over time but the poster already has angus blood to start with.

he said "Watusi"... :D

russoniellov1":7uhh4wo9 said:
Since you are in Bama, brangus could be the directionyou need to go, depends on the Brahma influence you already have, or not have.

can someone explain to me why Brahman influence is desired in Alabama? i realize the humidity level is very high and temperatures get up here, but its not that different from NC where we have straight Angus that flourish.

Aero":2mnnwtft said:
russoniellov1":2mnnwtft said:

can someone explain to me why Brahman influence is desired in Alabama? i realize the humidity level is very high and temperatures get up here, but its not that different from NC where we have straight Angus that flourish.

You would NEVER convince some of the oldtimers that a little ear is not needed down here. They are totally convinced of the vigor in a brahma influenced calf and the motherly instincts of the cow.

Latest posts