What type bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

baileyl

Reaction score
Hey, I am a newbie, had a few cattle for some time BUT here's the question. My angus bull is aging and needs to be replaced. He has produduced no problems {sizewize}. I run mixed breed cows. My area is strong in angus, charolais and limos. Any experienced opinions here? Thanks a lot!

baileyl":bfy414l0 said:
Hey, I am a newbie, had a few cattle for some time BUT here's the question. My angus bull is aging and needs to be replaced. He has produduced no problems {sizewize}. I run mixed breed cows. My area is strong in angus, charolais and limos. Any experienced opinions here? Thanks a lot!
Sell the old bull and buy another Angus bettern the old one was. Keep improving your quality and topping the markets.

You're looking for a new bull, you run mixed breeds, sounds like a good time to check out Murray Greys. You may be surprised at what they can bring to your herd. ;-) Here's a couple of links to check out:

http://www.murraygrey.org

http://www.murraygreybeefcattle.com

One of the biggest advantages of the Murray Grey breed is their docility, another advantage is their low birth weight and rapid growth when they hit the ground, they are good mothers (even as 2 year-olds) and good milkers. What have you got to lose?

Do you sell them as calves? Are your mixed cows more % british or Continental? If more percent british then go with a charolais or Limo bull. If not go with another Angus. Around here charolais have been popular for years but so far this year the limo calves have been selling a bit better. The stocker I was talking to at the sale barn said he has started to buy more Limos because they seem to put on the beef some faster then the charolais

la4angus":37vstxsl said:
baileyl":37vstxsl said:
Sell the old bull and buy another Angus bettern the old one was. Keep improving your quality and topping the markets.

Thats a good idea to continue with the Angus program...

Pick one with exceptional feet, above average testical measurement, a masculine thick and shorter neck, (expression in his crown if he is young,) balance from front to back with a smooth shoulder and meat behind that shoulder and over the top. Pick a bull with his head up but without that "eat ya for supper" look in his eye. Watch him move from the back and make sure his stride leaves a print with some width. If his heels come closer than a foot together when he steps out, he should not go home with you.

Decide well before you go shopping what you are looking for in his offspring and never by a bull before you check out his dam in some way or another.

Breed --- --------whatever your heart desires.

baileyl":2r0c99qr said:
how many cows are we talking about and how do you market the calves?

msscamp":1qplk2yn said:
You're looking for a new bull, you run mixed breeds, sounds like a good time to check out Murray Greys. You may be surprised at what they can bring to your herd. ;-) Here's a couple of links to check out:

http://www.murraygrey.org

http://www.murraygreybeefcattle.com

One of the biggest advantages of the Murray Grey breed is their docility, another advantage is their low birth weight and rapid growth when they hit the ground, they are good mothers (even as 2 year-olds) and good milkers. What have you got to lose?

Could not have said it better myself!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ;-) :cboy:

Mike

I just can't beleive you let Msscamp get that line in before you did :D :D

frenchie":126dxow1 said:
la4angus":126dxow1 said:
baileyl":126dxow1 said:

Thats a good idea to continue with the Angus program...

Will continue on here. If its not broke don't fix it. Many Angus bulls with low BW and will excell in WW and Yw with any continental. Beware of fad bulls.

Scotty

msscamp":1a3jz0y3 said:
Scotty":1a3jz0y3 said:
Beware of fad bulls.

Scotty

If this comment was directed towards Murray Greys, you couldn't be more wrong!
I hope it wasn't. Murray Greys havn't come into their own yet. They should be used more than they are as long as the quality is there. They are good cattle. Probaly as good as Angus (Reds or Blacks) and Herefords.

la4angus":2574h9xd said:
msscamp":2574h9xd said:
Scotty":2574h9xd said:
Beware of fad bulls.

Scotty

I hope it wasn't. Murray Greys havn't come into their own yet. They should be used more than they are as long as the quality is there. They are good cattle. Probaly as good as Angus (Reds or Blacks) and Herefords.

Thanks La. I very much believe in the breed (just in case you hadn't noticed :oops: :lol: :lol: ). If the various associations could get it together I honestly believe we would be seeing a lot more of them, but there is little to no advertising and to many people that are looking to get into cattle or changing direction don't even know they exist.

msscamp":310mmnde said:
la4angus":310mmnde said:
msscamp":310mmnde said:
Scotty":310mmnde said:
Beware of fad bulls.

Scotty

Thanks La. I very much believe in the breed (just in case you hadn't noticed :oops: :lol: :lol: ). If the various associations could get it together I honestly believe we would be seeing a lot more of them, but there is little to no advertising and to many people that are looking to get into cattle or changing direction don't even know they exist.

i was and did not mean to offend. jsut is they have been around for alomg time nad have not came into their own. If they have a place or you can market them be my guest. I was answering his post, not putting down Murrey Grey cattle.

Scotty

Scotty":31wzuu23 said:
msscamp":31wzuu23 said:
la4angus":31wzuu23 said:
msscamp":31wzuu23 said:
Scotty":31wzuu23 said:
Beware of fad bulls.

Scotty

i was and did not mean to offend. jsut is they have been around for alomg time nad have not came into their own. If they have a place or you can market them be my guest. I was answering his post, not putting down Murrey Grey cattle.

Scotty

You didn't offend me. As previously stated, it's not the breed that is lacking it's the organizations that are supposed to be promoting the breed. They certainly have a place and we certainly don't have a problem marketing them. ;-)

Msscamp ...Just so you know I have no axe to grind with M.Gs either..

I.M.H.O .When he said he was running a Angus bull on mixed cows..Why not continue that way for a few yrs, keeping back replacements till you have a fairly uniform herd to work with that produces consistent uniform calves out of whatever breed sire he chooses.Up here good sized lots of quality uniform calves can sell for a 10 cent or more premium per lb .

Latest posts