What to sow?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got a section of a field that has to be reworked. Is there something that could be sowed and then cut for hay before reworking it this fall and putting it back in grass?

Thought about millet but don't have any experience with it?

tom4018":5yvnts4r said:
Got a section of a field that has to be reworked. Is there something that could be sowed and then cut for hay before reworking it this fall and putting it back in grass?

Thought about millet but don't have any experience with it?

I planted some Tifleaf 3 pearl millet and have a real good field, it grows real fast if you get it fertilized and RAIN (like we havent had for weeks) some of my millet is 4 feet tall but it all has lost the nice green color from all the heat and no rain, but the cows are loving it though.

Caustic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike C is the person that I got the Tifleaf 3 info from, he plants it and it does well for him.

Mike,??????? what is the latest you can plant the millet in my area and still get plenty of graizing in before fall.

C HOLLAND":36j0kalg said:
Caustic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike C is the person that I got the Tifleaf 3 info from, he plants it and it does well for him.

Mike,??????? what is the latest you can plant the millet in my area and still get plenty of graizing in before fall.

Depends on rain. But count on it taking 30-45 days after planting for it to be big enough to graze.

Since July is one of our wettest months, I would say about then is the latest I would plant it and still get 60-90 days of grazing.

When it starts cooling off at the end of October the growth slows down considerably.

MikeC":23th58af said:
C HOLLAND":23th58af said:

Depends on rain. But count on it taking 30-45 days after planting for it to be big enough to graze.

Since July is one of our wettest months, I would say about then is the latest I would plant it and still get 60-90 days of grazing.

When it starts cooling off at the end of October the growth slows down considerably.

Mike what about hay, I have pasture I need more hay.

Mike, I just purchased 50 rolls of bahia hay (rolled last October), 4x5 rolls for $10.00 per roll (couldnt believe the price). I have been trying for over 2 weeks to find some and this was 3 miles from me. It doesnt look bad either, it still has good grass smell with no rot and not much weed content. I am going to add a little protein supplement for them to eat and it should get me through this dry spell we are having.

My regular source for hay did not have enough to fill everyones orders and he fills oldest customers first then down the list.

I guess you have had a few showers lately, it looked that way on radar anyway.

Caustic Burno":3etrylmw said:
MikeC":3etrylmw said:
C HOLLAND":3etrylmw said:

if you lived up here in Virginia...then I could have helped you out...I had 200 acres of grass about 3 feet tall...it was real thick too...I wasn't using it for nothing...I just told all my friends that live on that side of the mountain if they was running low on hay...to just go bale as much of it as they needed

Heritage_Farmboy":2yz9bu35 said:
Caustic Burno":2yz9bu35 said:
MikeC":2yz9bu35 said:
C HOLLAND":2yz9bu35 said:

if you lived up here in Virginia...then I could have helped you out...I had 200 acres of grass about 3 feet tall...it was real thick too...I wasn't using it for nothing...I just told all my friends that live on that side of the mountain if they was running low on hay...to just go bale as much of it as they needed

Man that is one heck of an offer appreciate it. If I lived close you would see a big Massey and Deere blowing black smoke with fat hillbillies laughin and cuttin hay.

No rain on us Chris. We have only had about 1 1/2" since Febrary.

Caustic, it would be dicey to plant pearl millet for hay now. Unless you get lot's of rain it might be a waste. It makes good hay though.

MikeC":xfdt0mh2 said:

Caustic, it would be dicey to plant pearl millet for hay now. Unless you get lot's of rain it might be a waste. It makes good hay though.

Thanks Mike I have a small lot about 3 acres I wanted to try it on since I have no experience with it. The lot is mainly dirt right now anyway. There is no way I am plowing my hayfield right now. Second option is to work on a breed that can eat dirt. I am in a lot better shape than my neighbors as I have a lot of bottom land with a little grass left. Supposed to rain this weekend last time it was supposed to we got six inches drop about every six inches.

Caustic Burno":3vbv882y said:
MikeC":3vbv882y said:

Thanks Mike I have a small lot about 3 acres I wanted to try it on since I have no experience with it. The lot is mainly dirt right now anyway. There is no way I am plowing my hayfield right now. Second option is to work on a breed that can eat dirt. I am in a lot better shape than my neighbors as I have a lot of bottom land with a little grass left. Supposed to rain this weekend last time it was supposed to we got six inches drop about every six inches.

I feel your pain buddy. We are dry as a bone here too.

The pearl millet is about like the sorghum sudan hybrids, except just a little more drought tolerant and no need to worry about prussic acids.

We freeze late here in TX,I saw a neighbor of mine plant millet in July,and I thought ,what a waste of money,that fall he baled enough hay to make it through winter,who knows what the weather will do,I am gonna graze these fields after I cut,rake and bale,this fall I will plant rye/oats,if we get some rain,I might be alright,if not,just keep selling down...........good luck

Latest posts