What to look for when buying Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":18k3wyje said:
Bright Raven":18k3wyje said:
CB: what is the distance between each blade of grass out there? Is it measured in yards or miles?

Real far apart so far your cows would starve versus thrive producing more pounds of beef than any other state.

Dad said he was on a troop train going to the west coast during WWII. He said he saw places where grass was so scarce a jackrabbit had to pack its lunch.

Another term they use in our area is "reputation cattle". That means the seller has a positive reputation for following protocols and delivering value added calves to the auction barn on a consistent basis. I'm proud my in laws earned that moniker and I'm doing my best to carry on the tradition.

Bright Raven":1l0ipun0 said:
Caustic Burno":1l0ipun0 said:
Bright Raven":1l0ipun0 said:
CB: what is the distance between each blade of grass out there? Is it measured in yards or miles?

Real far apart so far your cows would starve versus thrive producing more pounds of beef than any other state.

Dad said he was on a troop train going to the west coast during WWII. He said he saw places where grass was so scarce a jackrabbit had to pack its lunch.

That wouldn't have been in CB's neck of the woods. That was probably true in west Texas, but assuming east Texas is the same would be like saying that Florida must be like Arizona because they're both in the United States.

Rafter S":uc6ork3v said:
Bright Raven":uc6ork3v said:
Caustic Burno":uc6ork3v said:

That wouldn't have been in CB's neck of the woods. That was probably true in west Texas, but assuming east Texas is the same would be like saying that Florida must be like Arizona because they're both in the United States.

I ask dad where it was. He didn't remember. The train took a northern route. Probably in Idaho or eastern Washington. Just joking with CB.

M-5":1vyjpho4 said:

Let's get some real perspective on cattle per acre

Notice that area around Lexington, KY. Deep blue. No cattle. That is racehorse country. Too expensive for cattle.

cow pollinater":3c6245qt said:
Caustic Burno":3c6245qt said:
TT what is value added never heard that term before
:lol: Your barn door is open and your ignorance is on the loose. Value added is weaned, vaccinated, etc.
You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle

Caustic Burno":7i8ri7te said:
cow pollinater":7i8ri7te said:
Caustic Burno":7i8ri7te said:
:lol: Your barn door is open and your ignorance is on the loose. Value added is weaned, vaccinated, etc.
You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle
BS. Pure and simple. You yourself are always going on and on about how the average producer is down to thirty head or something like that. I'm supposed to believe that every one of them is vaccinating every calf to the point where buyers just accept that every calf in the area is value added?! :lol:

I don't know anyone that is not BQA certified that was a big push by the county extension agents here in the tri county area over the last couple years.
But if there not that means it is even worse to raise your type of cattle cause them sorry Brimmers are beating them even worse. With higher prices and more pounds.

Caustic Burno":32ivkl5n said:
cow pollinater":32ivkl5n said:
Caustic Burno":32ivkl5n said:

It is my understanding that historically cattle from the southeast had a bad reputation for being weaned on fumes right off the cow and hauled to the market for many decades hence the concerted effort to make buyers aware of who was following protocol and delivering a better calf.

TennesseeTuxedo":27i2r9vg said:
Caustic Burno":27i2r9vg said:
cow pollinater":27i2r9vg said:

It is my understanding that historically cattle from the southeast had a bad reputation for being weaned on fumes right off the cow and hauled to the market for many decades hence the concerted effort to make buyers aware of who was following protocol and delivering a better calf.

I would venture to say 75% of them are still done that way here.

Caustic Burno":1qanirbr said:
I don't know anyone that is not BQA certified that was a big push by the county extension agents here in the tri county area over the last couple years.
But if there not that means it is even worse to raise your type of cattle cause them sorry Brimmers are beating them even worse. With higher prices and more pounds.
BQA and value added are two different things. Just because you give shots in the neck doesn't mean you vaccinate and wean.

TT that makes sense.
There are a few here that still do it that way.
Not many as the bottom of the price bracket is not nice.
With prices bottom out a year or so ago big push for better calves. It has shifted for low to average from average to high on quality.
Quite a few fly by the seat operations have ceased to exist around here due to low prices.

TennesseeTuxedo":2qgba951 said:
Caustic Burno":2qgba951 said:
cow pollinater":2qgba951 said:

TT: there is a program that is a step up from the value added. Check with your county agent for the dates and Stockyards. It is a "certified" sale. The premium is greater than that paid for value added.

Bright Raven":23jhmxu4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":23jhmxu4 said:
Caustic Burno":23jhmxu4 said:

TT: there is a program that is a step up from the value added. Check with your county agent for the dates and Stockyards. It is a "certified" sale. The premium is greater than that paid for value added.

I'll call Doyle at the Owenton yard and ask him.

It is weird to me y'all sell pens.
Here every calf runs through the ring with the order buyers bidding.
No matter the barn you haul to.
If you don't like the price on one PO it bring it back in a week or so if you
don't think it's fair.

Latest posts