What to look for when buying Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":11gpoqc3 said:
cow pollinater":11gpoqc3 said:
Caustic Burno":11gpoqc3 said:
Those calves coming through slick conditioned with ear tags you can bet they have been in a good program most of the time.
Those raggedy back 40 calves you can bet didn't come off a place with any type management program.
If you stand around when there unloading you will know where the majority come from.
I walk in the barn I have two buyers ask what I brought and what are the numbers. I am not the only one those order buyers want to know who brought
what in.
You not BSing a man at his own game those same order buyers are sitting
at all four sales of the week.
So it all relies on guesswork there??? They can tell that certain calves have been vaccinated just by looking at them???
So there it is on your word what a crock
unless certified by a vet that the vaccination protocol was adhered too.

http://www.jordancattle.com/premium-weaned-sales.html

Here is a example of a premium weaned calf program in Texas. There are Many similar programs. Nobody can look at a calf and tell that it's been vaccinated. A experienced buyer can tell if it's weaned and cut. And assume it's probably been vaccinated. But you can bet they are still gonna plan on working the calf.

Post pictures of your Brahman cattle and crosses.
This was Babe. Had some really nice calves from her. But her temperament was scary for anyone going in her pasture but me. If there is Anything I'd recommend about Brahman type cattle, is that my own experience.....if they are good, they are wonderful but if they are bad....they are killer bad. I Loved this cow. But, not enough to let Anyone get hurt

[/quote]

You sold your best cow. She would have loved it here, nobody needs to be in my pasture but me.

Yes, but my husband and sons meant more to me than Babe and since then, her daughter Jasmine (sired by Registered BALANCER) has been fine. I still Live my Beefmaster cross calves.... crossed to any cow. But, my pride and joy was born a couple weeks ago, Gyr/Indo heifer by my Sardo Negro bull, Mick.

Mossy Dell":8mksga75 said:
Has anyone any experience will Kallion Farms Brahma. Claim high marbling, tender meat, calm temperament, working on polled:

http://kallionfarms.com/

I went back to his site. I checked the EPDs on two or three of his featured bulls with the Brahman assn. They are good looking (for Brahmans) but below average for docility and marbling. Since that's what he's advertising, I'd be cautious.

Any time there is variation, there can be selection. But the fact those EPDs exist indicates others are working on those issues too. Does anyone know if Hudgins has made much progress there? Certainly Hudgins' size indicates you might find a subset that interests you from their herd.

I like them. They look like actual working cattle. Some of the big Brahman breeders have gone over board with the show cattle stuff. Their bulls are obese when you go look at them. They also produce such a high volume that I don't think they cull as hard as they should.

Epds are nice but when it comes to docility I would check that in person no matter what. On marbling, that another one that is kind of iffy.

Nothing wrong with Hudgens or V8 or the other variation I just wouldn't write those people off because of the issues listed.

Brute 23":3t6gfd6w said:
I like them. They look like actual working cattle. Some of the big Brahman breeders have gone over board with the show cattle stuff. Their bulls are obese when you go look at them. They also produce such a high volume that I don't think they cull as hard as they should.

Epds are nice but when it comes to docility I would check that in person no matter what. On marbling, that another one that is kind of iffy.

Nothing wrong with Hudgens or V8 or the other variation I just wouldn't write those people off because of the issues listed.

Good points. Kallion's do look like show cattle. But it is difficult for me to evaluate Brahmans because they have so much frame anyway and are inherently showy with those ears and all that leather.

Not attacking those who show cattle, but I run the other way from show stock. And when I see show pictures on a web site, I tend to cross off that breeder. Just my experience.

Latest posts