What to Grow for Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gphillips

Reaction score
I'm looking at diffrent crops to plant for hay in Western Kentucky. Our hay fields are just mixed grasses, mostly fescue with some clover and timothy mixed in. I'm trying to find some crops that will produce higher yields on our fields. Will probably be fertilized with 2.5-3 tons/ac of chicken litter.

I have been thinking about sorghum-sudan or sudex. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Greg

Sounds like what you have is a good mix, lessen the fescue and add more orchard grass and that sounds like some pretty darn good hay to me. Someone told me on here once, use what you have already and build on it and it makes sense if you stop and think about it.

annuals like sudex are good for an emergency crop if you are low on feed. But a good stand of grasses and legumes are better for the long haul. It is expensive prepare a seed bed and plant a crop every year. Probably best to fertilize what you have. Just my thought.

I should have been more clear. I'm planning on doing some renovation to the hay ground we already have. I'm thinking about sowing down some rolling ground that is currently being row cropped. I'm wondering what to sow in these new hay fields.

Thanks

For a money crop, if you have the climate and water, why not alfalfa? The annual cropping of a hay field is a looser becaue of the laborand the fuel costs. Grass hay is good for beef cattle but you can sell the alfalfa and buy grass hay and make money in the bargain.

dun

One more note, You may want to check with your local FSA and NRCS office, as we have a program starting in October, that is for renovations. You may be able to join the ranks of us Welfare Boys and get at least 75% of your costs re-imbursed by Uncle Sammy. We signed up for that program earlier this week. Let the fur fly.

Crowder, I think I'm going to go by our county FSA office the first part of next week for some other things. Thanks for the heads up on the rnovation program. Hopefully I'll join you Welfare Boys and get some help. I want to sow this down to stop some erosion, plus it will give me some more ground to help the expansion on my heard.

Thanks

Greg

Latest posts