What to feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

cowbelle

Reaction score
I am about to buy a $1,500.00 cow. She is a beuatiful black Limousin. But I don't know what to feed her?? If you have any suggestions please help me!!! :D

Right now she wont need any feed other than grass. Put her in a pasture with minerals and water and she will be fine. Is she bred, If not I would be looking at getting her bred to recoup some of that $1500.

what is, she registered? you can feed her ground or cracked corn (lot cheaper than sweet feed) with pasture or hay if you want. bama is right , if you have grass that is all she will need

cowbelle":2q0ng22h said:
I am about to buy a $1,500.00 cow. She is a beuatiful black Limousin. But I don't know what to feed her?? If you have any suggestions please help me!!! :D
Don't buy a $1,500 cow if you don't have any idea what to feed her. That is my suggestion to help you.

Cowbelle - I think Texan's post implys that there is a lot more to owning a cow than just finding out what to feed it. In fact feeding it may be the least of your problems if you have never dealt with cattle before. For instance, do you have a small pasture or are you just going to tie it up in the back yard? Maybe if you could tell us a little more about your situation we might be able some other suggestions.

Texan":2zhg5whp said:
cowbelle":2zhg5whp said:
Don't buy a $1,500 cow if you don't have any idea what to feed her. That is my suggestion to help you.

Ain't that the truth sounds like the Rookie has a lot to learn before buying cattle.

she probably didn't know you guys were born with this knowledge. may be why she is a student, b/c she wants to learn, & no better way to learn than hands on ed.

jerry27150":2gl8o3ot said:
she probably didn't know you guys were born with this knowledge. may be why she is a student, b/c she wants to learn, & no better way to learn than hands on ed.

Were you dumb enough also to start on 1500 dollar cattle having no idea what to feed it. I bet you had a mentor also and you learned a lot before you bought the first cow.
You learned from Dad an Uncle, Grandpa if you were lucky and neighbors.
Now you want to cozy up to someone who comes to an internet board that has no idea what to feed a cow.
You are not doing the animal are the girl any favors, if she doesn't know what a cow eats she is not ready to own one.

i would never pay that much for any cow, but i know a lot of people seem to have more money than they know what to do with & if they want to spend it to learn a good lesson, so be it. don't see where me trying to judge or belittle them would help. that's why i asked if it was registered, even if it was reg. & in third period i wouldn't pay that much. but they always say i'm cheap anyway

Mornin'

If I were you I would feed her Crossroads 16% Sweet Feed,(maybe 2 coffee cans a day) high quality (Horse) alfalfa (leafy, rich, and rich in color), supreme grazing options and Vita-Ferm Mineral. The Vita-Ferm mineral is expensive but from what I hear it is worth it. My dad just purchased 10 bags and our total was: 243.90. We haven't tried it out just yet but Dad and some other cattlemen in the area swear by this stuff. If you want just send me a message back or E-mail me and I will give you the contact information to the company if you want to get some.

Hope this helps.

I use Nutrena's NutreBeef Finisher (12%), runs about $6.25 for 50 lbs bag. Current consumption's around 10 lbs/head/day.

Have tried Nutrena's High Energy Show Beef feed, but didn't see any great results which justified the cost.

If ya have any citrus groves nearby see if ya can get the rotten fruit - lot of times ya can have all ya want for free if you haul it. Cows love rotten oranges.

Good luck!

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

How is this person going to make any money by feeding out of a sack?

Sounds like this bovine is going to be treated like a horse.

Bez

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3dvhjyr2 said:
Mornin'

If I were you I would feed her Crossroads 16% Sweet Feed,(maybe 2 coffee cans a day) high quality (Horse) alfalfa (leafy, rich, and rich in color), supreme grazing options and Vita-Ferm Mineral. The Vita-Ferm mineral is expensive but from what I hear it is worth it. My dad just purchased 10 bags and our total was: 243.90. We haven't tried it out just yet but Dad and some other cattlemen in the area swear by this stuff. If you want just send me a message back or E-mail me and I will give you the contact information to the company if you want to get some.

Hope this helps.
High Dollar mineral only good enough for a high Dollar Cow. Surely yall' can find a Mineral as good if not better for less money??As for the feed, 16% is a little high in the Protein Department. looking to give em' all enemas?

Well Cowbelle that must be a nice looking cow for that price. Is that the only cow you have now? Without knowing anything about your pasture I would still say just pasture it right now. If the pasture can't support it maybe feed it a little sweet feed in the evenings to help it along. Where I'm at in Texas I could buy two decent looking pairs for maybe just a little more. Then sell the two calves too recoup some of the money. But every person does their own thing. Good Luck

I'm with you Crowder, 16% sweet feed AND good alfalfa (probably 18-19%) is way overkill. Heck IMO that's too much in the winter when she's not getting much other protein. You'd be wasting your money as most of that protein would just pass right through her. As mentioned above, kick her out on good pasture with mineral and water. At the most, give her that coffee can of sweet feed every other day or so just to keep her coming back to the trough (If it makes you feel good). Save you're alfalfa for this winter when she's gonna need that protein.

jerry27150":arta4hp7 said:
i would never pay that much for any cow, but i know a lot of people seem to have more money than they know what to do with & if they want to spend it to learn a good lesson, so be it. don't see where me trying to judge or belittle them would help. that's why i asked if it was registered, even if it was reg. & in third period i wouldn't pay that much. but they always say i'm cheap anyway

Depends on what kind of stock your buyin'. I deal with performance cattle. $1,500 is towards the low end of what I pay for a yearling bull. And I'm an amateur. The pro's will go near six figures.

With the money to be made nowadays in the futurities, ya can make your money back easily. A good bucker with good plumbing will pay for himself in semen sales alone fairly quickly.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

Well cowbell...welcome to the boards...don't let the folks throw ya off , just cause you paid waaaaaay to much for your first cow. Heck I sat in a few livestock sales and paid a few dollars to much for cattle that were already dead, and didn't know it, just still walking around...now thats not to bright either.

Anyways,,, with a high dollar cow like that, I would find a way to feed it gold dust...... it deserves nothing less. Naw... Just kidding.... watch yr protein intake... or you may see a 1500 cow squirt like all get out if you get her too high on hotter grains...... and as many are already saying,,,, pasture , it's free and very good for the animal, just because it doesn't have a label with all the ingredients listed don't mean it's not good feed.

Now for this cow, being high dollar, or any cow for that matter, make sure she has plenty of GOOD mineral availabe at all times.

If you aren't sure about her vacination, and worming history, or have any doubts about it, do both.

I can understand, thats a big investment for one animal, and you likely want it to have the best, but in this business, good is usually good enough, and won't hurt your pocketbook so bad when it's time to cash in, instead of buying high dollar items you didn't need to begin with... like 1500 dollar cows for instance.(OK, OK JK)

Now as far as thinking your gonna make huge bucks on her and anything else you breed her with, keep one thing in mind......she may bring a nice calf that will bring a few extra dollars, but as far as bringing bigger bucks, as in the tens of thousands, understand that most of these cattle in this price range are actually phantoms, meaning that that kind of money usually really never trades hands,and if it does, it's only a temporary thing. These high sale prices are done to boost the marketablity of these animals, meaning that they can offer you the semen or eggs of this animal that brought say $45,000 at the sale..........and you'll think you got the best semen in the world now cus the bull 'cost' some one 45 grand...don't buy it.

But in any case........ good luck in your endevour! :cboy:

mike . i am tight. i could buy two young cows in third period for that price that would make me more money. might be why i don't owe anybody for anything. i was born & raise with cows & i can tell a good one by looks, not price

Latest posts