What to feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowbelle, come back. Don't let others scare you away. Maybe your "cow" is actually a show heifer. If so, let us know, like how old she is, how much she weighs. Show heifers need different feed than just "a cow".
If she is a purebred cow that you want to start a herd with, that's fine. If she isn't bred and she's old enough, you need to be getting her bred soon. Mature cattle just need grass, good mineral, clean water & a good health program, including deworming.. You need to discuss local heath programs with your vet or extension agent.
In my business, $1500 is not much to pay for a PB female. I'm getting $1000 for cows hanging on the rail, so a good breeder sure is worth $1500. Heck, I wouldn't sell many of my open heifers for less than $1500 - just my bottom enders.
By the way guys, I'll sell my pukey twin heifer for less :D
I just had 4 finished steers shipped on the rail and they brought between $987 and $1322 (avg $1191 - 3 graded choice & 1 graded Select) 13.5 - 14.5 months old. So, if steers can bring that kind of money, a breeding female is worth more.

everyones pocket book is different....just make sure ya take care of her, that is a fair priced investment...like somelse said, make sure she has had her shots, and has been wormed, if not do them both, make sure your fences are in good shape, give her minerals, and water...check it everyday, cuz they drink lots of water...unless you have a tank in the pen/pasture that she is in,and good grass...if the weather here dont change and go to raining, think about getting ya some hay sooner than ya had planned..use common sense, and ask all the questions ya want to, ya may not like the answers to all of them, but ask anyhow...good luck

samm

just to let you know Caustic Burno I am about to show her not just let her out. And I show big time so yeah it is important to feed her it is very important.

thank you very much Cowbelle :D

Cowbelle, Welcome to the boards. Welcome to the show business. If she is a good purebred show heifer you did not pay too much for her. You may have gotten a bargain. In order to answer your question specifically I'd need a little more information. I feed my show heifers and bulls a textured 12% protein feed without any medications in it. All natural. PM me if you want more specific info.

To some of you old timers. In many of your other posts you toot your horns about respect and being treated with it. Why don't you try taking your own advice? You post many disrespectful and and down right rude comments many times. You have not helped this student out, only brought about discouragement. Shame on YOU! Maybe you should admire a student that is willing to try the cattle business, even showing cattle. JMO

That is why the show board was started before some of ya'll came. The Cattlemen/Show people felt seperate boards were needed, one for the Cattle business to be discussed and one for the Show people to give there expert advice.
I still agree, this thread would have been better being placed on the show board.

Caustic Burno
I have been showing cows for SEVEN YEARS so shut the hay up!! I have also had the first place winning commercial hefiers at our state fair for the past FOUR years. I have so many people come to my barn to use my famous black Limousine Bull it is unbelieveable so please this is not my first Cow I have about 30 out in the pasture!!! I just wanted a few suggestions on what IMPORTANT people feed their LIMOUSINES this is no ordinary cow.

Thankn you and have a nice day!

Caustic Burno
I have been showing cows for SEVEN YEARS so shut the hay up!! I have also had the first place winning commercial hefiers at our state fair for the past FOUR years. I have so many people come to my barn to use my famous black Limousine Bull it is unbelieveable so please this is not my first Cow I have about 30 out in the pasture!!! I just wanted a few suggestions on what IMPORTANT people feed their LIMOUSINES this is no ordinary cow.

cowbelle":18eb1z2x said:
I have so many people come to my barn to use my famous black Limousine Bull it is unbelieveable

Hey cowbelle, I'm looking to throw a little limmy in the mix with my commercial herd. Is there semen available on that bull? What is his breeding? Please feel free to pm me if you don't that info on the forum.

cowbelle":18e90lsx said:
I have been showing cows for SEVEN YEARS

I know some folk that show in the open division of the La fair. Were you a jounior? Or was that the open show? They have all the pics from the first place open show cattle. Thought I might call and see if she had one of the commercial heifer.

cowbelle":nq6m4f8h said:
Caustic Burno

Looks like Caustic done went and put her panties in a wad. Imagine that.

cowbelle, there sure seems to be a "disconnect" here --- your most recent shot fired at Caustic, regarding 30 cows and a big-time bull, etc. sure sounds surprising and/or odd, considering what you posted on the first page of this topic (going to buy a $1,500 Limo cow and not knowing what to feed her) :shock:

Your first post gave me the impression you were learning about cattle hands on and looking for help

cowbelle":2ie0e2o1 said:
I am about to buy a $1,500.00 cow. She is a beuatiful black Limousin. But I don't know what to feed her?? If you have any suggestions please help me!!!

Your second post made me wonder

just to let you know Caustic Burno I am about to show her not just let her out. And I show big time so yeah it is important to feed her it is very important.

thank you very much Cowbelle

Your third post gives me the impression that maybe you have a problem with reality and truth.

Caustic Burno

What's going on Cowbelle? You seem to be a little misleading in your posts here. If you have "first place winning commercial heifers" and a "famous black Limousine Bull" then you should be able to enlighten some of us.

If your last post is correct, then post us some info on this famous bull of yours. What has he done that has made him famous? Post us some info on these great cattle of yours. Some of would like to know what you are feeding? I don't have any famous cattle. Would like some though.

Seems to me someone's baiting a hook for all of us. You asked for advice and got it, now you're a Cattle Showing Einstein. Seems to me with your showing expertise, you would have never posted at Health and Nutrition. Stick with the Show Board. There may be more tolerance for you there.

cowbelle":3jmghsht said:
Caustic Burno

Wow I am impressed, kinda got a temper,if you are such an experienced cow person why would you ask the question in the first place.
Were you trying to start a ruckus or trying to make a fool out of some that tried to help you.

Caustic Burno":2ux19dtj said:
cowbelle":2ux19dtj said:
Caustic Burno

Wow I am impressed, kinda got a temper,if you are such an experienced cow person why would you ask the question in the first place.
Were you trying to start a ruckus or trying to make a fool out of some that tried to help you.

Hey Hoss! Why you always stirring the pot? I bet that purty lil thang's done forgot more about cows than me an' you know put togther! All she wanted to know was...............................................
what to feed her!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy cow I just found this site, that was sneaky.
I will have to read a lot more carefully, checking for trip wires and snares.

I would like to thank all the people who actully gave good advive I got a lot of good Ideas! I am also sorry for any problems I caused I just heard that there were nice people on here who liked to help others. So thank you and Goodbye,
Cowbelle