What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

cagle520

Reaction score
I'm new to the art of raising cattle. I have a small herd of longhorns, on a small acreage. I have just had to start feeding coastal hay that had been fertalized well. I also have the 125# mlneral lick tubs with the IGR. So my question is should I get the molasses licks or feed range cubes? Thanks ahead of time JRC

cagle520":1iy11gpy said:
I'm new to the art of raising cattle. I have a small herd of longhorns, on a small acreage. I have just had to start feeding coastal hay that had been fertalized well. I also have the 125# mlneral lick tubs with the IGR. So my question is should I get the molasses licks or feed range cubes? Thanks ahead of time JRC

Why not put a pencil to it and see which one would work best for your particular operation?

On small acreage I wouldn't use the lick tubs. I've used them in the corral with a few dry cows and they just camped around them and ate them way too fast. At least with range cubes you can control the consumption.

I could be wrong but I believe that longhorns will do just fine on hay and minerals alone there is no need to supplement.

S.R.R.":1oyu5qik said:
I could be wrong but I believe that longhorns will do just fine on hay and minerals alone there is no need to supplement.

Ditto. If they hay is feed quality, minerals is all you need. Licks and such are expensive. Test the hay and only supplement if the cows are milking and then only if they seem to be going down to much. A cow will eat all you can afford to feed it. ;-)

Cagle,

Contact your local county extension agent. Many times they are in the same location as the FSA and NRCS office. Any of the above offices, if they are worth their salt, will help you out. My guess is that you can send samples of your hay in (I would think Texas A&M) and have them tested. From there, you will know how to proceed.

Jo is right. The cows will eat as much good stuff as you put in front of them. I would think Longhorns, especially, should be able to tough it out better than most.

We raise Longhorns, and we are just south of you (cagle520).
We keep loose mineral out year round. During the winter months, we feed hay (coastal/and or sudan), and we supplement with some cubes. We don't feed the tubs.

As far as the cubes go, I increase/decrease the amount per head depending on pasture quality, animal condition, and weather conditions. Generally through the winter, I will feed about 2lbs per head, every other day.

Latest posts