What to do with black baldie bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I was comparing averages. Of course he would fall in the beef steer category, I'm sure he might take a hit on price because he's a crossbred beef not full angus.

I guess I have to be the voice of reason here - you need to register him as a black hereford. Seems like the only logical choice to me.

Calhoun Farm":9bmo4o4k said:
I was comparing averages. Of course he would fall in the beef steer category, I'm sure he might take a hit on price because he's a crossbred beef not full angus.
If he's good and you cut him, he should sell right with a solid black calf.

bigbluegrass":3e502dlv said:
I guess I have to be the voice of reason here - you need to register him as a black hereford. Seems like the only logical choice to me.

I was surprised Black Hereford didn't come up sooner. :lol2:

bigbluegrass":2u50ry4c said:

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't both his parents have to be registered before he can?

J&D Cattle":186gt7vp said:
bigbluegrass":186gt7vp said:

I was surprised Black Hereford didn't come up sooner. :lol2:
Nah he should be registered as a Blackford. :lol:

Calhoun Farm":3rxl4lp0 said:
I've got a 500lb black baldie bull that I'm not sure what to do with. I considered raising him to 800lb and selling him as a bull but in the last day or two it crossed my mind to cut him and sell him as a steer. What would you do?

Wednesday I'd head to the salebarn with him, get my check and take it to the bank.

denvermartinfarms":21693yty said:
Your thinking is right, you don't want to sell a black baldie bull.

Would it make a difference if genetics from both sides were the best, and he was a better bull than most purebreds?

djinwa":2592gmsc said:
denvermartinfarms":2592gmsc said:
Your thinking is right, you don't want to sell a black baldie bull.

Would it make a difference if genetics from both sides were the best, and he was a better bull than most purebreds?

Ifn that....maybe everbodies answer would have been diffrnt. :D
Course that wasn't offered.

1982vett":2845xph6 said:
Calhoun Farm":2845xph6 said:
I've got a 500lb black baldie bull that I'm not sure what to do with. I considered raising him to 800lb and selling him as a bull but in the last day or two it crossed my mind to cut him and sell him as a steer. What would you do?

Wednesday I'd head to the salebarn with him, get my check and take it to the bank.

That is my vote too. I wouldn't touch him... just take him as is, asap if your trying to get the most $$$.

Calhoun Farm":1d1358wp said:

If I didnt have to feed him
If it didn't cost me anything to keep him til he hit 750-800#
Then I'd keep him
I worry about cutting one that big so I'd band him but be sure you give the tetnus shot then 2 weeks later booster shot then band
Could be an extra 300-400 to keep him

Edit
Just checked OKC
Bulls@ 500 # were 1.55 = 775.00
Steers at 775 were 1,51 = 1170.00

If on pasture with plenty of grass just keep till grass declines. It seems like free weight gain for free dollars. If no more inputs you should be dollars ahead.

I wouldn't cut him this time of year. If i had feed i would feed him a while for the gain or dump him now before he drops dead from something( ;-) )

I cut him Sunday, gave him a shot of tetanus and wormer. Dont remember the brand but was told by the co-op that the tetanus would take effect immediate not in 2wks like some. He did pretty well, didn't raise too much cain. I kept an eye on him and within 30mins or so he was picking and wagging his tail so I guess he'll be ok. I'll probably keep him until December then haul him off. We have plenty of grass and hay so it won't cost me anything to put weight on him.

Best commercial bull I have ever known was a baldy. But there has been only that one. His calves were as consistent as any bull out there.

Seen many of them that I would not own.

This bull (now steer) is one of the most calm ones I've seen. He never made a sound only tried kicking a couple times when I would separating the cord from the muscle pulling the testicle out. Now my reg bull went crazy putting a fly tag in...

The tetanus shot that you gave him was a Tetanus Antitoxin.
It is different than a Tetanus Toxoid vaccination.
The anitoxin is short term protection, the toxoid is long term.

chippie":3nm6wnxr said:
The tetanus shot that you gave him was a Tetanus Antitoxin.
It is different than a Tetanus Toxoid vaccination.
The anitoxin is short term protection, the toxoid is long term.

Good to know, thanks.