What to do with black baldie bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I've got a 500lb black baldie bull that I'm not sure what to do with. I considered raising him to 800lb and selling him as a bull but in the last day or two it crossed my mind to cut him and sell him as a steer. What would you do?

I think you should not be influenced by people posting on the internet. You should make up your own mind. Option one is to raise him to 800 pounds and sell him as a bull. Option two is to cut him, raise him up to sell as a 800 pound steer for an extra $200. If money means nothing to you, go ahead and cut him and send me the extra $200. If needed, for $200 I will send you a sharp pocket knife.

anyone ever use the newberry knife?

also should I give him a shot of penicillin or tetanus or both after we cut him to help with infection?

Calhoun Farm":3mdq80ve said:

also should I give him a shot of penicillin or tetanus or both after we cut him to help with infection?
I wouldn't worry about a shot of either. Has he been blackleged?

If I had decided I didn't want him now I wouldn't bother to cut him. I'd just send him thru the sale yard as a feeder.

fitz

denvermartinfarms":33xoity1 said:
Calhoun Farm":33xoity1 said:

I wouldn't worry about a shot of either. Has he been blackleged?

I don't think so.

fitz":3lcma4ks said:
If I had decided I didn't want him now I wouldn't bother to cut him. I'd just send him thru the sale yard as a feeder.

fitz

If I had sold him tuesday at our regular sale steers in the 500lb range brought 14cts more per pound than bulls. So I would have have made $70 more on him as a steer just for reference. I thought about keeping him and selling him private but wasn't sure how marketable a baldie bull is, I would imagine most producers want baldie heifers not bullls. Most aren't a fan of crossbred bulls, at least not hereferdXangus.

denvermartinfarms":2s8fyodw said:
When you cut him I would give him 7 wAy blackleg with tetanus and deworm him.

I've got some covexin 8 I think that has 7way and tetanus in it. We use noromectin injection for wormer.

Calhoun Farm":1aco1xbp said:
denvermartinfarms":1aco1xbp said:
When you cut him I would give him 7 wAy blackleg with tetanus and deworm him.

I've got some covexin 8 I think that has 7way and tetanus in it. We use noromectin injection for wormer.
That's what I would give him then.

Calhoun Farm":2k1dmior said:
fitz":2k1dmior said:

fitz

If I had sold him tuesday at our regular sale steers in the 500lb range brought 14cts more per pound than bulls. So I would have have made $70 more on him as a steer just for reference. I thought about keeping him and selling him private but wasn't sure how marketable a baldie bull is, I would imagine most producers want baldie heifers not bullls. Most aren't a fan of crossbred bulls, at least not hereferdXangus.

You are right. I just checked the local sales here for last Monday and they were 14 to 18 cents difference in that weight range. Sometimes they are a lot closer.

fitz

Calhoun Farm":113k1yl1 said:
fitz":113k1yl1 said:

fitz

All the steers sold .14 higher.... certain steers sold .14.... the average was .14 higher... what they reported sold .14 higher??? Id be sure that animals simular to what you are actually selling bring .14 higher.

Latest posts