what to do with all these ruts

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I know I am not the only one with knee deep ruts EVERYWHERE. I know it is not dry enough now but what are some great tips for smoothing the ground back out. a heavy rooler,box blade or a disk. what are you going to do. Thanks

wait till it's dry enough(but before it turns to concrete) and run a small D4 over it or another tractor w/ a scraper blade attached.

In this lovely black soil, if you don't do something about the ruts before they totally dry out, they are like concrete. I just run the big tractor over the high spots until they are all relatively flat again. I made the ruts putting hay out last week, so yesterday when I refilled the rings it was about perfect to smash them back down.

I tend to prefer running a disk over them as to avoid compacting the soil even more. A roller will just compact the ground and a box blade will do nothing to aleviate the compaction that has already occurred. A subsoiler would do wonders.

JB

J Baxter":uxh6psti said:
I tend to prefer running a disk over them as to avoid compacting the soil even more. A roller will just compact the ground and a box blade will do nothing to aleviate the compaction that has already occurred. A subsoiler would do wonders.

JB

After a while of compacting it though you won't get the ruts you used to, then go and put a couple loads of gravel or limestone on it and go in all weather with no worries.

If you can lay your hands on one, a tractor mounted tiller is the cats whiskers. Two passes whike it is still damp and scatter some oats and grass seed and you are set to go.
your friend
Mike

PLB --- I've had some enormous ruts, in years past, that would darn near swallow a calf. But this early in the feeding season I wouldn't do anything with the ruts, except cuss at them a little. I wait until I'm just about through with hay feeding, usually late Feb. and then I try to disc out the bigger ruts, which usually leaves the area plenty muddy. Then when it finally dies off enough I disc several passes again and then run a harrow over the area. I also do a bit of pile burning if they have any size to them (whatever hasn't been sufficiently trampled into the mud by the cows)

By the way, and I know it's very early, but how's your big time Camp Cooley bull working out in his new home?

plbcattle":2qgf43u1 said:
I know I am not the only one with knee deep ruts EVERYWHERE. I know it is not dry enough now but what are some great tips for smoothing the ground back out. a heavy rooler,box blade or a disk. what are you going to do. Thanks

Why fight em??????? Let em fill with water in the spring and stock em with catfish :D

Latest posts