What to breed this heifer to?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sould I breed her to a Maine or a Shorthorn?

• Maine Anjou

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Shorthorn

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I have an angus heifer(non-registered) and I want to breed her to either a Maine Anjou, or a shorthorn. The calf would most likely be shown at some local fairs, and a couple of regional shows.

Nope sorry I didn't vote the first time. But I'll put mine in for the Maine if you use Bouncer. :)

I wouldn't suggest Kool on heifers. The calves come thick and hairy. He is also a TH carrier. But you won't have to worry about that with the cross breeding.

certherfbeef":2erzhzib said:
Nope sorry I didn't vote the first time. But I'll put mine in for the Maine if you use Bouncer. :)
How would I get some of his semen? I am located in Southern Saskatchewan, and we have some older shorthorn semen, and possibly maine semen in our ai tank. How do I order his semen?

Angus Cattle Shower":2g3geaoy said:
How would I get some of his semen? I am located in Southern Saskatchewan, and we have some older shorthorn semen, and possibly maine semen in our ai tank. How do I order his semen?

You'll just have to contact the studs and see if he is approved to ship to Canada. I don't know anything about the other bulls you listed. Not into the maine breed except for Bouncer.

Well dang it, I voted for the Maine! Maine x Angus cross calves do very well in the show ring here in Texas.

With Shorthorn I would think you risk getting spots or roaning.. depending on the bull of course.

I voted Maine. Unless you're going to stay purebred, there is no reason to cross british with british. Ideal carcass comes from a calf with no more than 75% britsh blood and no more than 75% exotic blood. The Maine will give you a 50/50 F1.

My question is, if you are an "AngusCattleShower", why not breed her angus and keep competing in the Angus shows (assuming you want to show the offspring).

If you're wanting to show into the commerical/cross bred categories, you'll want the maine influence in the calves.

If you're just going to market the offsping commercially at the local sale barn, once again, get some exotic blood in the calves.

Can't come up with one good reason to breed shorthorn no matter how long I type. However, from what I hear about the shorthorn breeds appendix program, maybe you could show the offspring in a shorthorn show even if they're 1/2 angus.

Angus Cattle Shower":199ocupf said:
I have an angus heifer(non-registered) and I want to breed her to either a Maine Anjou, or a shorthorn. The calf would most likely be shown at some local fairs, and a couple of regional shows.

Maine.

If your Angus heifer is deep bodied, especially through the flank, think about breeding to Witch Dr. or Habanero. Both are fine (BW.) for heifers, and both have a proven track record for producing high quality Show Calves with Angus cows.

Angus Cattle Shower":otnpm0u6 said:
What is wrong with the roaning? Is there a disadvantage?

Nothing wrong with roaning. Some folks like me like a little chrome on their cattle. Some folks don't. All a matter of personal preference.

A Shorthorn breeder here in Ga. told me blue roans (resulting from angusxred roan shorthorn) were in high demand for club calves.

Latest posts