What the $#^%&* is going on ???????????

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm22":22itmmjb said:
hillsdown":22itmmjb said:
I really like you Brandonm, but what you said makes NO SENSE ,,if this was the case they would not pay more for culls but rather less..

This is has nothing to do with the current government / economy ,as it started when GW was still in office...there is more going on..

I am a card carrying member of the Republican National Committee and both my state and local party organizations; but even I have to admit that not everything that happens in the world is political. People were losing their homes BEFORE we changed Presidents. Folks that are living in terror of losing their house, their cars, their credit lines, and/or their job hopefully cut spending. That means they buy less DVDs (see Blockbuster and Movie Gallery), less electronics (see Circuit City), less new cars (see GM and Chrysler), less vacation homes (see FL real estate collapse), and they eat less $9.99 a pound steak dinners and spend less time in Ruby Tuesdays, Golden Corrall, and Ruth Crisp Steak House. Steak prices drive fat cattle. What they can't sell in steaks gets sold at a discount and ground up into burger. Cull cows is all about the price of burger. Folks are cutting back on what they spend, they aren't PENNILESS and starving to death. They are buying burger instead of steaks. You can buy 2 lbs of ground chuck at $2.89 a pound, brown that on the stove, mix it with 2 lbs of boiled elbow pasta at $.99 a pound, a can of tomato sauce at $.89 a can, and a half pound of cheddar cheese at $4 a pound and bake at 350 degrees and feed a family of 4 for $10.65 and probably have left overs.
Hot topic in my Ag Marketing and Prices class as well as my Econ of Grain and Livestock class. The professors' lectures totally agree with your statement.

hillsdown":17tbg06t said:
I sold a cull 10 year old Holstein on Wed. weighing 1690lbs very very fat ..She was age verified as well as a copy of her Holstein Canada Registration papers ..

I got 64.25 for her for a total of $1085.83 ............

This is just crazy what in the world is going on? These are slaughter prices that we had in the early to late 90's..So if things are back on the rise how come feeders are not back to 150.00-200.00 again..And no the price of feed has nothing to do with it; something very odd and precise is going on right now,,,FYI it is not just subjective to Canada it is happening in the U.S. as well..

I will post my replacement heifer prices and weights on my thread on the breeds board.

If I could get that for packer cows I'd cull everything not bred on time and giving less than 80 lbs. of milk but down here she wouldn't bring but about 52 cents. I'd think you're dairy feed should be down in price considerably.

dun":u3f6ud6o said:
I wonder how they'll blame this on Bush

"They" will.

Theme parks are seeing a boon in business. The news (can you believe what they say?) says people are taking more "domestic vacations" versus traveling. Home entertainment has seen a rise. So do I believe Brandom's view of Blockbuster or do I believe the news media?

hillsdown":3n4vyx6b said:
I sold a cull 10 year old Holstein on Wed. weighing 1690lbs very very fat ..She was age verified as well as a copy of her Holstein Canada Registration papers ..

I got 64.25 for her for a total of $1085.83 ............

This is just crazy what in the world is going on? These are slaughter prices that we had in the early to late 90's..So if things are back on the rise how come feeders are not back to 150.00-200.00 again..And no the price of feed has nothing to do with it; something very odd and precise is going on right now,,,FYI it is not just subjective to Canada it is happening in the U.S. as well..

I will post my replacement heifer prices and weights on my thread on the breeds board.

The top end slaughter prices were 52.50 here last week at the local auction barn. You did much better than the tops did here.

backhoeboogie":b0y7kfhs said:
Theme parks are seeing a boon in business. The news (can you believe what they say?) says people are taking more "domestic vacations" versus traveling. Home entertainment has seen a rise. So do I believe Brandom's view of Blockbuster or do I believe the news media?

This is what I believe....

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=BBI&time=1yr

They are a $.68 a share stock and SOME analysts are predicting they won't live out the year (I don't know enough myself to go there, but I can read a chart).

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2009/03 ... .cnnmoney/

Netflix and those goofy little red rent a DVD boxes are popping up all over the place and the studios claim DVD sales are down.

Brandonm22":33j3heph said:
backhoeboogie":33j3heph said:

This is what I believe....

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=BBI&time=1yr

They are a $.68 a share stock and SOME analysts are predicting they won't live out the year (I don't know enough myself to go there, but I can read a chart).

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2009/03 ... .cnnmoney/

Netflix and those goofy little red rent a DVD boxes are popping up all over the place and the studios claim DVD sales are down.

In 3 years, I'll start looking at stocks again. It appears to me that they are all down significantly. Luckily I got out while the getting was good.

Also, they tell me there is a site you can go to and download movies if you can burn them to a DVD on your computer. So theft is likely playing a role in all of this too.

But Brandon I truly have no idea. I don't believe the media unless someone prove's them right. :D

Take a look at the spread between Select and Choice. There isn't much of one. For the same reason Brandomn is saying. People are staying home and eating lower priced cuts.

High choice steaks (CAB even) are available at every corner grocer in this area now. Reasonably priced too at $6.99/lb. Two years ago, all you'd see around here was select grade on a good day. I paid the highest price of my life for hamburger 2 or 3 weeks ago. I forget what the price was, but it was up there.

Before you Americans get too excited over that 64 cent a pound thing realize that price is in Canadian dollars. 64 cents Canadian in real money(US dollars) is 52.48 cents a pound...in other words about the same price as US producers are getting.

Alberta farmer":3t7v1t8l said:
Before you Americans get too excited over that 64 cent a pound thing realize that price is in Canadian dollars. 64 cents Canadian in real money(US dollars) is 52.48 cents a pound...in other words about the same price as US producers are getting.

Yes. For top end sales. The average is less, based on local sale barn prices.

backhoeboogie":16ehmidc said:
But Brandon I truly have no idea. I don't believe the media unless someone prove's them right. :D

I am not in the DVD business, I don't think I own any Blockbuster stock, and I am not making a stock pick reccomendation, but I do know that some in the financial media are down on Blockbuster. One Fox Bus Channel analyst said Blockbuster, Krispie Kreme, Dodge, and Six Flags would all be gone by January. I hope he is wrong; but I don't know I just know that the vultures are circling the stock. Movie Gallery is an AL company whose business model shadowed Blockbusters and they have been in bankruptcy for many many months.

Our local grocery store has a standing order for beef at Select or better. You can gauge the cattle market by the cuts of meat in the case. When prices are good the cuts are bad. Lately, I have seen meat in the case that looked almost prime. From this observation, I agree with Brandom's explanation. JMO

Brandonm22":2chm015v said:
backhoeboogie":2chm015v said:

I am not in the DVD business, I don't think I own any Blockbuster stock, and I am not making a stock pick reccomendation, but I do know that some in the financial media are down on Blockbuster. One Fox Bus Channel analyst said Blockbuster, Krispie Kreme, Dodge, and Six Flags would all be gone by January. I hope he is wrong; but I don't know I just know that the vultures are circling the stock. Movie Gallery is an AL company whose business model shadowed Blockbusters and they have been in bankruptcy for many many months.

Invest in beer and whiskey companies as well as cigaratte companies in this economy. No matter how bad it gets there always seems to be money for those.

Well, I had advertised our galloway bull a couple of times the last couple of months and no takers. We shipped him and sent his papers with him and I was asking $1000 for him and we got 60 cents a lb and that netted us about the same. Hopefully he sold as a breeding bull but I can't control that.

Since pork is being closed out of many export markets due to the "swine" flu ( what better timing to integrate them like the chicken market where the big ag own it all and they have "managers" raising them - it will be interesting to see if pig farmers fight back or allow it to happen), I do wonder if beef purchase will rise in the store because of it.

Brandon, do you suppose the reason 6 Flags may have difficulty is because the tickets are about $60 each?? I mean a family of 4 could drop quite a chunk for one day. What I mean is, I think folks will start opting for activities that cost less and unless 6 flags can lower admission price, it would never surprise me to see them go out of business.

Six Flags's problem is DEBT. The whole thing is built on borrowed money. In a tight credit market it will be difficult for them to get the financing that they need to pay off their previous creditors. Interest rates ARE obscenely low, so there is hope.

Must be some strong competition for killing cows among slaughter plants within the reach of your area

NOPE all owned by the same companies as yours are,,,,,, US companies NO competition what so ever ........That has nothing at all to do with it..

Why complain ??????? ... I think it is time more people start asking what the h is going on. This is a not a product and demand price, if anything with all the culls, especially dairy cows in the states with so many going belly up, culls should be like 20-30 cents a pound at the most; the market has been flooded with them as of late..

I will take this price but my top dollar choice and prime animals are not going for what they should,,slaughter houses are yet again manipulating the market for their own benefit alone, and we stand by and take it all..QUOTE:

You're complaining because you got too much?

GMN

Latest posts