What suplement for nursing cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kyandy

Reaction score
I finally got finished calving but i am not sure that the cows are producing enough milk.. Is there anything that i can give them to make sure they keep plenty on milk.,. They are about 10 or 11 years old and are on medium quality hay at best and are getting about 4 pounds each a day of 14% protein mix feed and they are maintaning body condition ok but i just want to make sure they are making enough milk.... Any suggestions are welcome.. The calves are looking fine I am just a worrier and a beginer... Thanks in advance....

kyandy":vudn12eu said:
I finally got finished calving but i am not sure that the cows are producing enough milk.. Is there anything that i can give them to make sure they keep plenty on milk.,. They are about 10 or 11 years old and are on medium quality hay at best and are getting about 4 pounds each a day of 14% protein mix feed and they are maintaning body condition ok but i just want to make sure they are making enough milk.... Any suggestions are welcome.. The calves are looking fine I am just a worrier and a beginer... Thanks in advance....

If your hay is not good quality, they are not getting enough protein. Say it is 8% and they are eating 25 lbs. per day each. They are getting only 2 lbs of protein from the hay.

A nursing cows needs around 3 lbs. of crude protein per day.

Double the feed and you'll be closer to what they need.

You might try the mol-mix lick tanks. I forget what the protein content is right at the minute. We use it when the hay is poor. Ag-gro fertilizer in Winchester is a supplier. They supply the lick tank and fill it up on request. It sure gives 'em an appetite. Hay consumption will go up by 20% or more. Also make sure they have plenty of mineral. Otherwise, they'll try to use the feed as a mineral source. I guess it has a salty taste?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Shouldn't you make sure the supplement has a decent fat content? It passes along to the calf as butterfat?

Thanks for the replys so far... We had them on protein tubs last year when they were nursing and noticed a little better performance but because of the increase in operating costs we were trying to stay away from them.. You guys have never steered me wrong so i am inclined to go with you on this one... I will pick up a tub when i go to the feed store today.. thanks for the advise....

Fat would only be helpful in meeting the cow's energy needs to feed the calf, maintain her body condition and breed back. Excessive fat can actually depress butterfat.

A cow here that can not maintain BCS and grow off a healthy calf is gone, I am not changing the grass, hay or minerals. They have to do it on grass. I'm changing the poor producing cow. No welfare here.

CB, nothing wrong with that other than you're putting all the pressure on yourself to see that the grass is nutritious and the hay is fertilized properly and cut and baled on time in order to be the best it can be.

TexasBred":nsnsfj45 said:
CB, nothing wrong with that other than you're putting all the pressure on yourself to see that the grass is nutritious and the hay is fertilized properly and cut and baled on time in order to be the best it can be.

Not me as I don't test hay don't plan on starting. Haven't tested the grass either. Its the cows job to convert the grass not mine to supplement her.

CB never mentioned testing grass or hay. But from your reply i have to assume you don't fertilize either and cut hay strictly for quantity rather than quality and that old cow's life depends on her ability to burn low grade fuel in a hot rod engine and still win every race (figurative speaking). Was just curious. I guess if it works for you then that's great. :clap: :clap:

TexasBred":3g05gqv1 said:
CB never mentioned testing grass or hay. But from your reply i have to assume you don't fertilize either and cut hay strictly for quantity rather than quality and that old cow's life depends on her ability to burn low grade fuel in a hot rod engine and still win every race (figurative speaking). Was just curious. I guess if it works for you then that's great. :clap: :clap:

I do fertilize pastures and hay fields, just no sense in testing I am going to cut it anyway and I have to use it.
I have cut pond dams, pipleline and hi line right of ways in a drought to make hay also.
If I have to supplement a cow it is like taking a second mortage out on your house, she is cutting into the bottom line. There is no perfect cow or breed just those that are better suited to your enviroment.
Thats were the management comes in.

TexasBred":oka6648q said:

Old Caustic is more than man enough to fight his own battles, but I'll say this anyhow.

If you search back through his old posts you'll find that he has always advocated that you need to be a grass farmer first. He also said something that really made an impression on me, "grass in front of cow, bull behind the cow, the rest is simple"

KNERSIE":odaoam1x said:
TexasBred":odaoam1x said:

Old Caustic is more than man enough to fight his own battles, but I'll say this anyhow.

If you search back through his old posts you'll find that he has always advocated that you need to be a grass farmer first. He also said something that really made an impression on me, "grass in front of cow, bull behind the cow, the rest is simple"

KNERSIE

Ole CB and I agree on this one. But and thats a big BUT....
We are in a drought, hay is bad. Period.
What we got cut the first cutting was was low at best and the second well, heck they got to eat it because I am not going to pay 90 a bale for scrub.
This is the first year I have ever given any grain.
Its been a hard year. Funny thing is you go an hour north and it isnt nearly as bad.

Anyhow drought changes all the rules.

I dont give mine anything they want.
But its my job to give them all the need.

I would go with the tub or alittle CG if you can get it by the ton.

Red since I am grounded today by the Mrs. got to snealk out before she mother hens be to death.

This is where CLS really comes in as a lifesaver in a drought Nutreana Liquid supplement will really make them clean up sorry hay and hustle while keeping them in shape.

No argument there, in a drought its about damage control and all is fair in love and war.

KNERSIE":1qd26141 said:

No argument there, in a drought its about damage control and all is fair in love and war.

Yep and mother nature always wins.... :tiphat:

redfornow":g5f7445q said:
KNERSIE":g5f7445q said:

Yep and mother nature always wins.... :tiphat:

No use fighting her, you're better off trying to work with her rather than against her.

CB thanks for the explaination. I always enjoy hearing how others operate and it doesn't matter if I agree with your methods or not. :) If it works for you no need to change a thing. I didn't mean to come across as argumentative so please accept my apologies. Best of everything to you. :cboy:

TexasBred":7dd067hm said:
CB thanks for the explaination. I always enjoy hearing how others operate and it doesn't matter if I agree with your methods or not. :) If it works for you no need to change a thing. I didn't mean to come across as argumentative so please accept my apologies. Best of everything to you. :cboy:

Everybody has right there own opinion I just do not believe in supplementing out of a sack.
In my book that is a hard keeper and she is costing me money, I am not in this for them to cost me .
All cows cost some more than others and make the difference in red or black ink at the end of the year.

Cows nursing claves at 2 months of age:
1. Cow is in peak milk production
2. Peak milk production coincides with the highest requirement needed all year.
3. Medium quality grass hay say 8% CP and 50% TDN
4. Feeding a 14% ration (4 lbs) ~ TDN = 90%.

1100 lb cow at peak milk production needs about (2.88) TP(total protein) per day
1100 lb cow will eat 3% of her body weight per day which = 33lbs total
4 lbs of 14% ration x 90% TDN = 0.50 TP
29 lbs of hay at 8% CP and 50% TDN = 29 x .08 x .50 = 1.16 TP
1.16 + .50 = 1.76 TP and you need 2.88 Yeah your cows are not getting what they need per day to be in optimum production.

Let me know if you need a feed ration done --- or there is always college............. Good Luck Rookie

Latest posts