What percentage of your retained heifers make cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think we're losing the point to the topic, which wasn't what percentage you retain, but how many of the ones you retain make it to becoming good cows.

With the numbers I have above, 23 of 34 retained heifers in the last 10 years I still have, or 67%. if we're only looking at how many made 3 years, it's probably 75%

If I keep 15 heifers, most years all or atleast 85% will make cows that are good enough to keep. But I know my standards are lower than most everyone else's.

For me a heifer needs to have her first calf between 24 and 28 months, needs to wean a calf that weighs about 500 lbs at 6 months, and calve again in 13 months or less. Then the second calf needs to be atleast 600lbs at 7 months and she has to calve every 12 months after that. Most all of mine can do that so they are good enough for me.

That's about my criteria as well... I have a couple mature cows that aren't living up the the weaning weights I'd like to see, but they have one every year and until I'm short of feed and have nothing better to cull, they'll stay.

2005 - 10 of 18 = 56%
2006 - 8 of 20 = 40%
2007 - 9 of 13 = 69%
2008 - 15 of 22 = 68%
2009 - 15 of 20 = 75%
2010 - 18 of 19 = 95%
2011 - 19 of 19 = 100%
2012 - 18 of 18 = 100%

We have 18 cows older with 1 of 17 years old.

Another thing to find out as some of you have great records is management, ie calving interval, weaning weight cull point and so on. To see why those heifers were culled before they reached their 4th calf or so. Also the % of the heifer crop kept and heifer selection method's as some have pointed to.

We retain all heifers except the one's that show she is for sure a cull because of no growth or bad attitude to test out. Plus I'd like to expand and keep cows young.

Falls are/were under 50% making it to even 1st calf calving in a 45-60 day window as I didn't provide the feed they needed as calves.

Springs boughten heifers I'd say off top of my head are at less than 25% making it to 3rd calf. Raised ones only have had more than 1-2 in 2012 (years before were hard on bulls in spring herd and had 2x as many falls) so calving this year and out of 6, 1 was bought with another being bottle fed as she was an embryo. Out of the 4 true tests I sure hope 3 of them make it.

Got 10 to breed this year and I see no reason to sell any unless someone has some crazy money to offer!

I expect a first timer to make better than 500 lb heifers, and better than 550 lb steer calves, Add 50 lbs expectation for the next 2 years as a minimum. I don't necessarily cull them the year they don't live up to it, but I won't keep offspring from them.
Our oldest cows are 10 now.. I put down my oldie last fall at nearly 18 because of arthritis.. she had 16 calves and raised the biggest heifer last year though.

Of all the 34 replacements I've kept in the last 10 years, I have 23 of them, so that's about 67%. I kept one replacement last year I think may live up to my expectations, but has too tall a frame and not enough oomph to go with it... She had 3rd best ADG and comes from a good milk line, so she's on a shortlist to cull, when I have something proven to be better to replace her with

Latest posts