What new 24ft trailer to buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

blx

Reaction score
My dad wants to buy a new 24ft cattle trailer. He is averse to aluminum and doesn't want to spend more than $10,000. Any suggestions? He currently has a 1996 Titan that is rusted out.

It would be the first time he has bought new equipment in about 35 years.

I have been thinking about buying a new cattle trailer but not sure if and when I will I don't want to buy a new trailer been hoping to come across one at a farm sale. My trailer could use a good reworking I think its a early 80's model or late 70's cant remember but it hauls them fine but bottom half is rusted pretty bad. It still gets them to the barn and brings them home so not a major rush for me.

I bought a new 20' Dugan about 6 years ago. I wish I had bought the 6'6" wide trailer rather than the 6'. I also wish that I had bought a trailer with the "never rot" floor. The boards they put in the new trailers are not lasting like they used to. I have had to replace the floor in mine already and I keep it washed out. I would also look at the type of paint they use. I do not know how to tell good paint from bad but there has to be better grades than what Dugan used.

If I do get a new trailer or a new to me trailer in great condition the first thing I will do is spray the spray on bed liner in the whole thing up to 4.5' high

blx":1ozada6j said:
My dad wants to buy a new 24ft cattle trailer. He is averse to aluminum and doesn't want to spend more than $10,000. Any suggestions? He currently has a 1996 Titan that is rusted out.

It would be the first time he has bought new equipment in about 35 years.

Averse to aluminum but has a trailer that is rusted out....hmmmmmm....

Ya I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that....

He's 72, so if he can get 15 years out of it that should be enough...

Today he looked at a Delta. I wasn't with him and aren't familiar with them.
Anyone have experience with those?

I have a 16'x 6'8" WW stock trailer I bought new about a year ago. I paid $6,350 for it and have been very pleased with the purchase. When I got it, I had the spray bedliner applied to about the first 24 inches up from the floor.

They make my same model (Runabout) in a 24' length. My guess is it would be within your $10,000 budget amount, but I've never priced one that size to say for sure.

Here's their website:
http://wwtrailer.com/

I have a 24ft WW and really like it, I would also look at goosenecks. Depending on where you are you might have coose trailers available and or circle W and they are both good trailers also.

Whatever brand you buy I reccomend torshion axles over springs, 6.8 wide and not 6ft, and I would go wood floor rather than rubber. Depends on where you haul from on what kind of back gate you will be best suited with.

If he's going to be hauling cattle with it I'd recommend getting one with the sliding back gate instead of the batwings.

blx":fyp0chfg said:
Today he looked at a Delta. I wasn't with him and aren't familiar with them.
Anyone have experience with those?
Deltas are good trailers they are built here in Ark
I have talked to the owner he is a real nice guy
If I ever buy a NEW steel trailer That is more than likely what I will buy
As others have stated go with the 6'6" or 6'8" wide trailer instead of the 6'

For myself, wider is better. My dad is about the same age as yours. He doesn't get along with a wide trailer. Although the axel is all he has to keep on the road, he says he can't see around it.

Just an update- he ordered a new Titan and traded his in. Expect he won't get it for a couple of months due to backlog at the factory.

Titan makes a nice trailer. I've had a Titan horse trailer or two over the years.

blx":14lma8vm said:
Just an update- he ordered a new Titan and traded his in. Expect he won't get it for a couple of months due to backlog at the factory.

https://odessa.craigslist.org/grd/4792014018.html

2012 Titan 24' Stock Combo GN Trailer - $10500 (Midland)

I have a like new Titan stock combo trailer that i am looking at selling. I bought this trailer and only used it a hand full of times (less than 3000 miles). Pulls great, has front tack room and 20' stock area with center gate and rear gate with slider. Rubber floors and interior lights. I paid over $14k for it and will sell it for $10,500.00. If post is still up, trailer is still available. Great condition.
classic_stockgn.jpg

Latest posts