What kind should I get?

Help Support CattleToday:

CCRanch

Reaction score
I narroweed it down to a Austrailian Shepherd and a Australian Cattle dog. I live in SE Texas and am worried about the heat and the long haired Aussie. Also have a 2 kids, 4 and 2 y/o. Anyone ever shaved an Aussie?

We have 4 Australian Shepherds and we live in north Florida. We've never had a problem with heat, but we use care during the summer months when the dogs are outside with us. The 2 males and the female puppy all go find shade somewhere close enough they can see what you're doing and come running if they're needed, but the oldest female stays with us as long as we're out there. We really keep an eye on her because she's black. We've never shaved our Aussies, but I know several people who have done that. Aussies and Cattle Dogs are both good breeds - you probably can't go wrong with either one.

Are you looking for a family pet or a working dog?

I can't comment on the Australian Shepherd, not having the faintest what it is. But the Australian Cattle Dog - and I'm assuming that's the same as a Blue Heeler - is not a family pet. Especially not for kids as young as yours. These dogs were bred to work cattle - rough cattle - and they truly are rough as guts. Don't get me wrong, they are great working dogs. I have worked with many Blues and they are terrific workers, and if you are after a working dog then by all means get one. But they are tough little buggers. Its just not in their nature to sit in a backyard, and its definitely not in their nature to tolerate children. As many good blues I have worked with, I know of too many people whose kids, or even themselves, have got a nasty bite or worse from a bored blue.

I don't mean to put you off the breed. And I'm sure if you have your heart set on a blue as a pet then you can probably find one that is suitable. But as whole, they are not. So please, please, exercise caution.

CCRanch":296jsfvp said:
I narroweed it down to a Austrailian Shepherd and a Australian Cattle dog. I live in SE Texas and am worried about the heat and the long haired Aussie. Also have a 2 kids, 4 and 2 y/o. Anyone ever shaved an Aussie?

Your topic title suggests to me that you haven't done your research properly. What are you looking for in a dog? Is the dog going to be a working dog, are you capable of training him/her, or is he/she intended to be a companion and friend? What is their environment going to be - part of the family and allowed indoors or kept in a kennel/pen with sporadic human interaction? If a companion, you're barking up the wrong tree with both of these breeds - no pun intended. Both of these breeds are working dogs, and could prove to be a bit more than you bargained for/can handle if they don't have a job - especially if they are not allowed to bond with the family. Determine what it is you're looking for in a dog, do your research accordingly, and then select a breed. There are far too many dogs sent to shelters as it is, because owners chose unwisely/did not do their research/were not prepared to deal with the traits of the dogs they chose, please do not add to those numbers by making an unwise decision as to which breed will best serve what you're looking for.

i have a red heeler who is not desexed and loves kids he sleeps on the bed and he recently protected me from a brown snake if it wasnt for him i may not be here if the kids are getting up to no good he will come and tell me.

"Your topic title suggests to me that you haven't done your research properly. What are you looking for in a dog? Is the dog going to be a working dog, are you capable of training him/her, or is he/she intended to be a companion and friend? What is their environment going to be - part of the family and allowed indoors or kept in a kennel/pen with sporadic human interaction? If a companion, you're barking up the wrong tree with both of these breeds - no pun intended. Both of these breeds are working dogs, and could prove to be a bit more than you bargained for/can handle if they don't have a job - especially if they are not allowed to bond with the family. Determine what it is you're looking for in a dog, do your research accordingly, and then select a breed. There are far too many dogs sent to shelters as it is, because owners chose unwisely/did not do their research/were not prepared to deal with the traits of the dogs they chose, please do not add to those numbers by making an unwise decision as to which breed will best serve what you're looking for."

I asked for an opinion, not a lecture, but from the looks of most of your posts, that's all you give.

I know you've narrowed it down to Austrailian Shepherd/Austrailian Cattle dog, but have you thought about a border collie? We had border collies when I was growing up and they are wonderful dogs, and great working dogs. And, as I remember, my Daddy would have them shaved in the summer months.

Just thought I'd throw that out there... :)

Alice

CCRanch":5th8p3dm said:
I asked for an opinion, not a lecture, but from the looks of most of your posts, that's all you give.

Sorry, CC. I don't think my response was a lecture - hope you didn't take it that way. I understand what you mean about the lectures on this board. I ran into the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Just get what you can from the well-meaning posters and ignore the rest.

I can't answer any questions for you on the Cattle Dogs, but I can sure help you out with any Aussie questions you might have. I've owned them for years.

Good luck!

What do you want the dog to do?? Work cattle? Watch the kids? Sleep on the couch?

Australian shepard actualy came with the Basch(sp) who brought their dogs with them when they went to Australia with the flocks.
Heelers were bred in Australia,and were/are tough enough to deal with the conditions..

CCRanch":1t9u7zzo said:
"Your topic title suggests to me that you haven't done your research properly. What are you looking for in a dog? Is the dog going to be a working dog, are you capable of training him/her, or is he/she intended to be a companion and friend? What is their environment going to be - part of the family and allowed indoors or kept in a kennel/pen with sporadic human interaction? If a companion, you're barking up the wrong tree with both of these breeds - no pun intended. Both of these breeds are working dogs, and could prove to be a bit more than you bargained for/can handle if they don't have a job - especially if they are not allowed to bond with the family. Determine what it is you're looking for in a dog, do your research accordingly, and then select a breed. There are far too many dogs sent to shelters as it is, because owners chose unwisely/did not do their research/were not prepared to deal with the traits of the dogs they chose, please do not add to those numbers by making an unwise decision as to which breed will best serve what you're looking for."

Whatever you think. :roll:

Alice":2d73hdj0 said:
I know you've narrowed it down to Austrailian Shepherd/Austrailian Cattle dog, but have you thought about a border collie? We had border collies when I was growing up and they are wonderful dogs, and great working dogs. And, as I remember, my Daddy would have them shaved in the summer months.

Just thought I'd throw that out there... :)

Alice

The only thing I will say about the breed (border collie) is they are soooooooo smart and very sensitive.They love everyone but will protect against those they do not like.Our little girl is ten and is a working dog as well as a family member.She actually just got a brand new bed to match our duvet.Her best friend is my other pampered pet my polydactyl cat.Those two go after foxes and other cat's together;it's like they are their own unique breed "SPOILED rotten".Any of those breeds as mentioned will be great cattle dogs and family dogs if you are willing to put in the effort to train and work with them.

I also did not mean for my post to sound like a lecture, and I'm sorry if thats the way it came out.

Can anyone tell me about Australian shepherds? Cos, excuse my ignorance but I'm a little confused as the breed bears the australian title but I have never seen or heard of one working here.

Keren, it is confusing. Australian Shepherds are not from Australia, rather they are a breed developed in the United States. First and foremost, they are herding dogs with a strong herding instinct. You get a lot of theories on where the breed came from, but the most popular opinion is that they were named Australian Shepherds because of their association with the Basque sheepherders who came to the United States from Australia in the 1800's.

Some of them have natural dock tails at birth, but most are docked shortly after birth. They are long-haired, fiercely loyal, good natured but protective of what belongs to them (like family), and smarter than you can even imagine. I've owned them (or been owned BY them) for years.

Here are photos of my four - the black tri and the red tri and both females and the two blue merles are both males (father and son actually).

NoelCinnamon-1.jpg

TheBoys.jpg

I had a dog that was Aussie Shepard and German Shorthaired Pointer and she was the best dog ever. Once she was trained she was an angel. Before that, though, she really owned me. Smart as a whip and a good dog to boot. I really miss Ladybird.

I don't think that you could go wrong with either breed. I have a cattle dog and she is the best. It was mentioned that they are not good family pets, that just comes down to who you talk to. Our cattle dog has been the most loyal lovable dog ever. If you train them early and train them right, they will not bite. You do have to watch if you run from them because instict tells them to heel you and well, I've been drug to the ground a couple times. (just playing and nothing serious) As for the aussie, I've never owned one but know people who love them. I think for Texas, you would want to go with the shorter haired aussie or a heeler.

We also have Border Collies and love them too. I think that they are much more intense than the heelers and are harder to call off.

Latest posts