What kind of Snake?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sure looks like a Chicken Snake, they come out of the dead or hollowed out Oaks and Maples here in the Spring. Kill lots of mice.We never kill a snake here unless it's a Copperhead, Rattler or Mocassin (Cottonmouth). Too valuable an asset for insect and rodent control, in my opinion. ;-)

I am just glad all we have in Central WI are some little garter snakes. They have rattlers in the south western part of the state and they can keep them. For me snakes = the willies.

april and may is when snakes breed. probably why you saw the three together. there was a a kingsnake under the boat the other day tangled up with a brown water snake. (eating it).

Sometimes when the moon is right all of our poisonous snakes will mate. Thats how we wound up with rattlemouthcoppermoccosins down here in the southeast. ;-)

Crowderfarms":37y9sqyc said:
http://www.mcmartinville.com/reptiles/trips/texas/tx_rat.htm

Just found this site, yall check it out...

Thanks for the site. I always like to look at these sort of sites. One thing I always find humorous is this part:

"This picture is of a 5-foot female captured in San Antonio as a nuisance snake. It was relocated to farmland and released"

txrat4.jpg

Since I am on 'farmland' it always bothers me that these city folks think it is perfectly all right to dump varmits on my property. What makes them think I want chicken also know as rat snakes here, my chickens certainly don't want them. We need to catch our varmits and humanely release them to 'cityland'

;-)

jt":3veyuep9 said:
sidney411":3veyuep9 said:
It was yellowish on the underside. Trust me - I ain't grabbing no snake to see what it smells like so I will have to take your word on that one! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i figure you have a chicken snake on your hands there and they get pretty rowdy striking at you too.. not poisonous, but will make you hurt yourself getting out of their way in the right circumstances..

jt
That is why all snakes are dangerous. If they don't bite you and kill you, they scare you to death anyway. All snakes should be killed dead.
Use cats and traps to control rodents. Not snakes!

Very tough skin on a chicken snake. Usually looks black in color. Hard to kill. I use a sharpened machete to chop thier heads off. Copperheads, if you look real close at a dead one, have a copper looking skin, hence copperhead. That just looks like a regular gardensnake to me. My MIL, who was born and raised in the Flatonia area, remembers the snakes that would chase you through a pasture or wherever. I would probably have to change my pants if that happened to me.

By the way, do cats break wind?

Dick

sidney411":1w6fjn4h said:
Honey ran over this snake while fertilizing the pasture Saturday, is it a chicken snake?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/ ... /snake.bmp

Sidney411, your in Grimes Co. aren't you? or close to that area?

I'd say it's a chicken snake that has just come out for spring, that's why he was so skinny and light color. Coach Whips in our neck of the woods are mostly black and young coach whips are not that big and long with the juvenile coloring.

This is TxSimbrahShower's mom, we are in Montgomery County, have plenty of chicken snakes in this part of Texas, have four that stay in the feedroom of the barn and mate every spring we don't bother them, they don't bother us. It's very interesting to watch them coil around each other during mateing and they don't pay attention to anything else that is going on around them, my husband was pulling them around by the tails to get them out of the way, never paid any of us any attention.

Besides the dogs I keep a hoe in the chicken house, the shop, the storm cellar, etc. Also keep one in the garden. Not just for hoeing the rows either. Snakes are like coyotes. You'll never get 'em all but it doesn't hurt to try.

Craig-TX

Thanks all! I guess the majority feel it is a chicken snake, I don't know, but I do know it is a DEAD snake! Snakes don't bother me as long as I don't see 'em! I'm stopping by BassPro today and getting a pancake holster and rat-shot for my .38 since it's starting to be snake season round here.

Yes, TxSimbrahShower's mom, our farm is in Grime's county. I drive through Montgomery though from time to time. Nice to meet ya, Neighbor! :D

Crowderfarms":26lzahe1 said:
Sure looks like a Chicken Snake, they come out of the dead or hollowed out Oaks and Maples here in the Spring. Kill lots of mice.We never kill a snake here unless it's a Copperhead, Rattler or Mocassin (Cottonmouth). Too valuable an asset for insect and rodent control, in my opinion. ;-)

Same here. My dad sometimes catches chicken snakes and throws them in the hay barn. I can remember seeing him in his truck steering with one hand and holding a snake behind it's head with the other and the remainder curled around his arm.
Snakes don't bother me either but I'm not quit that ambitious about rodent control.

sidney411":30eqe760 said:
Thanks all! I guess the majority feel it is a chicken snake, I don't know, but I do know it is a DEAD snake! Snakes don't bother me as long as I don't see 'em! I'm stopping by BassPro today and getting a pancake holster and rat-shot for my .38 since it's starting to be snake season round here.

Yes, TxSimbrahShower's mom, our farm is in Grime's county. I drive through Montgomery though from time to time. Nice to meet ya, Neighbor! :D

No such thing as a chicken snake, there are rat snakes, coach whips, black racers. No chicken snakes city folks.

i'd go with chicken snake myself. does look like a bull (king) snake though. we get a lot of bull snakes here. i don't mind them since they keep the mice pop down, now if only they would keep the cat pop down too. we have a few rattle snakes, and i've managed to chase one with a weed eater and not know it. it slithered away pretty fast.

Caustic Burno":20w10qeo said:
sidney411":20w10qeo said:

No such thing as a chicken snake, there are rat snakes, coach whips, black racers. No chicken snakes city folks.

Now you are nitpicking, chicken snake is a common name for snakes also know as rat snakes. I suppose you insist that a possum be called an o'possum.

;-)

The yellow rat snake is primarily active at night. It is both a terrestrial borrower and an extremely good climber. It is found under rocks and boards, and in trees under bark and within knot holes and palm fronds.

As its common name implies, this snake feeds voraciously on rodents. Its diet also includes lizards, frogs, and birds and their eggs. Unfortunately, it will eat young chickens and chicks, which is the source of one of its common names, 'chicken snake'.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpeto ... ittata.htm

Caustic Burno":13ka0pp9 said:

That's funny that you say that, the only people that I have ever heard call them rat snakes are the city folks!

Everybody that I know of that was born and raised and/or still reside in the country call them chicken snakes.

Kinda like most country folks call them corch whips, not coach whips.
Black racers are just racers.

I wish the two snakes I ran into today while I was spraying blackberrys would have been "chicken" snakes. When I couldn't run them off and they kept coming back towards me, I was the chicken. Both black rat snakes.

dun

Latest posts