what kind of operation?

Help Support CattleToday:

what kind of operation do you have

• Cow/calf and keep best replacements

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Cow/calf terminal only operation. Buy replacements and run a terminal bull.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • all of the above

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • none of the above

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
I couldn't vote since the questions were a little one-sided. On the other hand:

Our operation is producing registered seedstock. We run several bulls we have purchased for our breeding program. Our own bull calves are usually steered at or before weaning unless someone wants a "bull" calf for their cross-breeding or beginning longhorn program. We also put one of them in our own freezer each year.

We buy better breeding females as well as keep our top genetics females for replacements. If we have a "promising" bull calf, we'll hang on to him until 14 mos. breeding age. If he turns out good, we'll collect semen on him and then put him with a "few" 1st calf heifers for a trial. Then, we will put him up for sale. All of our herd sires are purchased to improve our bull genetics.

We also slaughter one or two of "our breeding program" less promising animals (that haven't sold) for our USDA inspected retail meat program.

My husband and his family have had a commercial cattle operation for many years. My FIL ran between 75-100 head
of mixed breed beef cows and used a variety of bulls (mostly black) on them and then ran the calves on grass after weaning and sold them as yearlings. Our calving season runs from April My FIL passed away 2 years ago and my husband and his brother split the herd and we now have a nice group of cows (angus X, char X, simi X and herefords) none of them are registered. We still run Angus bulls but I'm trying to talk my hubby into trying a black polled homozygous something else. I have nothing against the Angus but my personal preference tends towards something with a beefier butt. Probably comes from my many years of having Quarter horses! (ha!) I just want to try something different but my husband thinks we should stay the course. I like the looks of some of the balancer bulls I've seen, as well as the Aubracs but I most definitely want to stay black, or bwf for our young stock. We raise and keep just a few good heifers each year and cull out old or non-productive cows.
I have a lot to learn and I appreciate what I am learning from you folks on here. I also really like the websites that some of you have provided on body condition, frame scores and safe handling practices.
We do a lot of our own vet work to save some expense such as giving shots and castrating, and we do our own hauling.
I'd like to get into AI but since we both work off the ranch that would not make much sense at this time.

we hauled our yearlings to market last week and our steers averaged 1100 lbs! Grass fed only.... :D
our pastures were really good this year and we don't run too many animals on them.

LazyARanch":2twlquas said:
.... I have nothing against the Angus but my personal preference tends towards something with a beefier butt. Probably comes from my many years of having Quarter horses! (ha!) ....

Mmmmmmm....... I've never tried Quarter Horses... .but they sound yummy! :nod:

:lol2:

I've got lots of variety. They are several Generation Angus Sired, but the color throw backs are still dominate in the calves, so I have some mouse colored cows that were at one time Charlet, Several Black White face, I have however culled out all the red cows, because every year I cull out the ones I consider "mean" and I don't want to die from, funny thing... that catagory usually included a read cow. Now my herd is very gentle, except when you grab their newborn, which is a good thing I think.

I do spend the money on a couple of good new angus bulls when it's time to replace them. The Cows are either kept back heffers, or I will buy cow calf pairs from one person, a neighbor whom I usually buy my bulls from who keeps exemplairy records on his registered angus, and guarentees me the linnage of the cows in relationship to the bulls and their preformance which he gives me computer print outs on. I'm always amazed by his operation, and some day when I'm old and gray I will have a setup like that. :compute:

I have contemplated the idea of starting a second herd for better pasture rotation and management. One thing I've considered is a different breed other than black for the second herd, so I can easily tell when one gets in with the other herd.... Red would be an easy color to spot, but I don't want a red headed temper. :?

Any kind of registered operation would be the first one.

Walt

ToddFarmsInc":1piystqh said:
LazyARanch":1piystqh said:
.... I have nothing against the Angus but my personal preference tends towards something with a beefier butt. Probably comes from my many years of having Quarter horses! (ha!) ....

Mmmmmmm....... I've never tried Quarter Horses... .but they sound yummy! :nod:

:lol2:

LOL, OKKKKKKKK I probably should have rephrased that! You sure gave me a laugh! :lol2: :lol2: :tiphat:

Ya Brat! Good thing I'm not a red-head! hehe

So I guess I should have marked the PB keeping best replacements, but I marked OTHER.
We offer for sale all our heifers, letting buyers pick our best. It is rare that one of our heifers wouldn't be replacement quality. We purchase top quality repacements occasionally - mostly bred heifers or cows.
LazyARanch - by yearlings, do you mean spring born of 2008?

ToddFarmsInc":287xmjmb said:
Red would be an easy color to spot, but I don't want a red headed temper. :?
Ref Angus or Hereford either registered or commercial. If you oculd find some red Gelbvieh genetics.............

Jeanne - Simme Valley":12cjhiya said:
LazyARanch - by yearlings, do you mean spring born of 2008?

Hi Jeanne,

yes, our 2008 crop, ranging from approx 16-19 months old.

Mind you, it wasn't a large group, and our heifers from 2008 averaged 950 lbs, but there was only 5 of them.

HerefordSire":2e5gx7c2 said:
LazyARanch":2e5gx7c2 said:
Good thing I'm not a red-head! hehe

Red headed and Italian with a splash of PMS. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Nope... blonde going silver, all nordic, and only occasional PMS :devil2:

(my husband asked me what my definition of "occasional" was!!!) :banana:

I say it keeps the mystery in our relationship!! LOL :nod: :pretty: :p

LazyARanch":2wfc40qh said:
HerefordSire":2wfc40qh said:
LazyARanch":2wfc40qh said:
Good thing I'm not a red-head! hehe

Red headed and Italian with a splash of PMS. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Nope... blonde going silver, all nordic, and only occasional PMS :devil2:

(my husband asked me what my definition of "occasional" was!!!) :banana:

I say it keeps the mystery in our relationship!! LOL :nod: :pretty: :p

I have experience with my subject words.

Does anyone think the results seem a bit strange. Maybe not surprising but...

Walt

Walt a lot of it is going to depend on the market. There will always be better times to buy and better times to sell. Then you also have to figure in drought and other weather conditions that affect markets. There is also trendy situations in the market.

Just look how corn prices last year had everything upside down. I watched 8 weights sell for more per pound that 3 and 4 weights last summer. I sold a 2375 pound brangus bull for 72 cents a pound.

If you cull during a drought, the following year eared cattle are sky high. Cold climate cattle are dirt cheap. You have to build from within even tho you have no desire to do so.

There's no real way to answer.

AngusLimoX":2b2bd37m said:
Why no "Failing" option?

:lol2: :lol: :help:

What about a p@ss ant small operation because of the drought.

I checked the first one. The only thing good about culling heavy is now I can be really really picky as to what I keep from now on.

Latest posts