What is .......

Help Support CattleToday:

farm princess

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a question about the carcus class? This is what I have seen at some of the fairs around here. What is it and how do they go about the grading and stuff like that. What are they looking for, etc. How hard is it to do?? Thanks in advance for helping me understand all this!!

;-)

Our local fair scans the steers and assigns a numerical score based on that. I don;t know what the loading factors are but a 1106 lb steer with a BF .38, Marbling 5.46 and a REA of 14.3 was 3rd over all for carcass out of around 50 steers.
Our fair does things differently then any of the others because tey're trying to promote the raising of market beef vs show steers.
The carcass is 40% of their score, ADG is 20% and a numerical score on their appearence, soundness, etc is 40%.

dun

I know I may be making myself look real dumb at this point, but do they have to be dead first, before they can judge or are they alive???

;-)

farm princess":2ucjfzxd said:
I know I may be making myself look real dumb at this point, but do they have to be dead first, before they can judge or are they alive???

;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

In our county we have a steer of merit award. They ultrasound the 4-H steers after the show. The best three grading steers win. The contest is sponsored by the cattlemens association.

Latest posts