What Is Wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Lots of posts have been made lamenting the loss of old Users. Lots of posts have been made lamenting that the board is as stale as last weeks loaf of bread. Etc, etc, etc.

What that says is this: Don't change my forum. Keep it like it is, we don't want it to grow!

What this board lacks is balance and diversity. I would like to see MORE Users from all over the world posting here. Argentina has a higher percentage of AI usage in beef breeds than the US does. It doesn't help foster diversity when someone reading here that wears a turban is called a "rag head". It doesn't help foster diversity when every opposing view is treated like an affront to the manhood of the "Real American Cowboy".

I often wonder what Mr. Gravlee's objective is for the board. I suspect he would like the board to be more than what it looks like.

Definition of affirmative action. : an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women sought to achieve a multicultural staff through affirmative action also : a similar effort to promote the rights or progress of other disadvantaged persons.

Not fair to US, forcing change isn't freedom of speech. I'll bet if you look Argentina has a cattle web site somewhere on the Internet that you can join.

True Grit Farms said:
Definition of affirmative action. : an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women sought to achieve a multicultural staff through affirmative action also : a similar effort to promote the rights or progress of other disadvantaged persons.

Not fair to US, forcing change isn't freedom of speech. I'll bet if you look Argentina has a cattle web site somewhere on the Internet that you can join.

The commentary in the OP has no connection to affirmative action and does not advocate requiring anything. Not using offensive terms like "rag head" would already come under the rules.

Like other who continue to make posts about what the forum should or should not be, I am offering my opinion.

sim.-ang.king said:
Is forced diversity, really diversity?

The OP does not state that anything should be forced.

Read the OP. That should answer your question.

I personally don't find that offensive. But those folks who don't have the good sense to quit using those words should be given a time out. I call it cruising for a bruising, or just trying to stir up crap.

True Grit Farms said:
I personally don't find that offensive. But those folks who don't have the good sense to quit using those words should be given a time out. I call it cruising for a bruising, or just trying to stir up crap.

I am exercising extreme discipline..... Do you actually read the posts?

PS: I can only hope that Mr. Gravlee sometimes reads these threads. Based on the assumption that at his age and position, he has the cognitive skills to appreciate what is being posted.

If expressing an opposing opinion is "stirring the pot", call it that.

The board would benefit by more balance. Not everyone wears the same brand of underwear. It is still my wish that a more diverse universe of people would be welcome as users.

What would help the board more than anything IMO is for farm prices to increase and farming get back to were you don't have to have a full time job to farm or other source of income. Farming has gotten more of a hobby or just the opposite very large farms and the interest just is not there. How many people are searching for cattle boards now or just don't care anymore, moved on. When cattle were bringing $2 a pound I had a lot more interest.

I probably use the board more for research as a lot of information and about every topic you search on has been covered. I have been off and on for a few years and for the most part the board IMO seems pretty civil and a lot of good, very smart people, but I have not read every post.

Bright Raven said:
Lots of posts have been made lamenting the loss of old Users. Lots of posts have been made lamenting that the board is as stale as last weeks loaf of bread. Etc, etc, etc.

What that says is this: Don't change my forum. Keep it like it is, we don't want it to grow!

What this board lacks is balance and diversity. I would like to see MORE Users from all over the world posting here. Argentina has a higher percentage of AI usage in beef breeds than the US does. It doesn't help foster diversity when someone reading here that wears a turban is called a "rag head". It doesn't help foster diversity when every opposing view is treated like an affront to the manhood of the "Real American Cowboy".

I often wonder what Mr. Gravlee's objective is for the board. I suspect he would like the board to be more than what it looks like.

Any one ever wonder about Whitewing from venezuela

The only things that has changed over the years on this board is people and that's no different than our country, years back people argued over breeds of cattle and breed pimping really nothing wrong with that, now people are trying to push agendas and usually start bringing politics or religion in, and that's what gets threads locked. .

What is wrong are the frequent posts that appear to have no purpose except to cause contention.

I understand that not everyone has the same opinion or beliefs. Great, I get it. But to continue to post on a thread trying to prove a point, win favor, or stir the pot is in my mind an attempt to say "look at me" like an annoying 4 year old.

There are threads that I don't bother to read if I see that certain members are monopolizing the discussion.

I made an exception for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts