What is this weed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I have this weed growing all over my property. A 2,4-D herbicide like Amine 400 will easily put it down - you see the leaves start curling up in a couple of days. The main stem sort of runs across the ground, while the leaves grow upwards into the air. This picture covers an area about 24 inches wide.

weed1.jpg

novatech":3eltr3d5 said:
Don't have a clue but I wouldn't hurt anything green that would grow in that stuff.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry funny... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Actually, it grows everywhere, even completely rocky ground like in the picture, but loose sand, thick bermuda, under cedar, you name it.

TexasBred":3v41oube said:
Will the cattle eat it?? does it bloom or get invasive?
No, nothing eats it. It blooms, if you let it live that long. I assume it's invasive. Would more pics help?

Ruark":1toa9mx9 said:
TexasBred":1toa9mx9 said:
No, nothing eats it. It blooms, if you let it live that long. I assume it's invasive. Would more pics help?
Maybe pics of the flowers or seed pods/heads would help

dun":3j4b0spu said:
Ruark":3j4b0spu said:
TexasBred":3j4b0spu said:
Maybe pics of the flowers or seed pods/heads would help

OK, will do over the weekend. Stay tuned.

Victoria":dkp6qeig said:
Some kind of toadflax? Do you get toadflax down there?

Nope, don't think so. Like I said, the main stem runs along the ground, and the leaves grow upwards. The pics of toadflax I've seen look very similar to this, but have regular vertical stems.

Are the leaves that stick up real fleshy/pulpy or more grass like?
What color are the flowers?

Ruark":3cfp7v8i said:
I have this weed growing all over my property. A 2,4-D herbicide like Amine 400 will easily put it down - you see the leaves start curling up in a couple of days. The main stem sort of runs across the ground, while the leaves grow upwards into the air. This picture covers an area about 24 inches wide.

weed1.jpg

It looks like Knot grass from the picture oh are you in for fun.
Knotgrass is an annual weed troublesome among cereals, sugar beet, root crops and on most arable soils. It is found throughout Britain and is said to grown at an altitude of even up to 1,800 ft.It is common in the vegetation cover and in the soil seedbank.It is located throughout the southeast United States, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and in the western United States. It is native to Louisiana.

Habitat
It prefers a habitat of light sandy soils and soils manured by sheep. It occurs on roadsides, waste ground, gardens and near field margins. It occurs in soils deficient in lime. While it is a plant of disturbed and trampled habitats, in urban situations it occurs in less trampled, paved areas.

Caustic Burno":1j321fl9 said:
It looks like Knot grass from the picture oh are you in for fun.
Knotgrass is an annual weed troublesome among cereals, sugar beet, root crops and on most arable soils. It is found throughout Britain and is said to grown at an altitude of even up to 1,800 ft.It is common in the vegetation cover and in the soil seedbank.It is located throughout the southeast United States, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and in the western United States. It is native to Louisiana.

Habitat
It prefers a habitat of light sandy soils and soils manured by sheep. It occurs on roadsides, waste ground, gardens and near field margins. It occurs in soils deficient in lime. While it is a plant of disturbed and trampled habitats, in urban situations it occurs in less trampled, paved areas.
I thought it was knot grass until I read the part about the lime.

That's milkweed. Monarch butterflies use it to lay eggs on. Naturalist love it. You'll get huge brown seed pods on it after it blooms.

It is not very invasive. I leave it be.

Doesnt look like the milk weed that grows around here. The leaves are to narrow for one thing. And tends to grow straight up on its stem.

redhawk1974":2957wxtr said:
Doesnt look like the milk weed that grows around here. The leaves are to narrow for one thing. And tends to grow straight up on its stem.

I've got some rocky hill top in the northern part of this county. What isn't rock is caliche. That stuff grows in the caliche. Everyone has called it milkweed all my life. I am not far from where he lives. I could go get pics that look just like his. Maybe they lied to me back when I was a kid? :D :D

lol Well there is the problem. I didnt pay any attention to the the location. Sorry about that. It looks nothing like the milk weed here in WV thats for sure.

Latest posts