What is this plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

KenB

Reaction score
DSCF0010.JPG

Please help me to identify this weed or shrub.
It is from two to six feet high and grows mostly
in recently cleared land, and at the edge of the woods.

Bluestem":1agnh9t2 said:
Looks like Beauty Berry.

:D Bluestem you have hit the nail on the head.
I googled Beauty Berry and that is exactly what it is.
You must have some experence with it?
Many thanks for identifying it for me.

Now does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

It's also known as french mulberry. It's considered an ornamental. Dug it up and sell it to some townfolk.

Mowing it down won't get rid of it for long. Roundup won't kill it. I sprayed some Banvel+24D on some and last time I looked it was still dead. Also, I mixed 2qts roundup and 2qts 24D and 1pt crop oil in my 25 gallon 4 wheeler sprayer and sprayed along an electric fence line with it last year and there is still nothing growing on that line at the present. I'm sure some beauty berries were victims of that chemical cocktail.

P.S. I must add that I don't think 24D will do the job alone. I know roundup won't.

Ken, we call it "shu-mate" around here, I always thought it was a type of mulberry. It's doesn't seem to grow in the pastures much, mainly in the woods. Hasn't been a problem for us.

I know the deer love it!

;-)

TLCfromARK":1hrfy0m4 said:
I know the deer love it!

;-)

I bet you can tell when the birds start to love it too, red/purple streaks every where

dun

That is absolutely SUMAC. My little brother is highly allergic to it. If he gets in it, he's headed to the Dr. I can crawl in it and as long as I take a bath afterwards, I don't break out. Lots of folks break out worse than poison oak or poison ivy.

Laymen will indeed call it SHU-MATE because they don't know how to pronounce sumac. It is of the avacado family. If you google sumac you can read all about it. It is very common in this part of Texas.

backhoeboogie":xtd7ro4d said:
That is absolutely SUMAC. My little brother is highly allergic to it. If he gets in it, he's headed to the Dr. I can crawl in it and as long as I take a bath afterwards, I don't break out. Lots of folks break out worse than poison oak or poison ivy.

Laymen will indeed call it SHU-MATE because they don't know how to pronounce sumac. It is of the avacado family. If you google sumac you can read all about it. It is very common in this part of Texas.

The plant that I posted the picture of is not Sumac.
I have Sumac as well, they look similar but not the same.

I believe Bluestem got it right, and it is Beauty Berry. :cboy:

definitely beautyberry.

dont know how to get rid of it. figure goats'll eat it.

the berries persist for a long time, birds arent that crazy about them. nothing will much eat them till late in the year. snakes like to hide in the bushes though so i assume something snakes like to eat eats them.

I'd like to see a picture of some poison sumac that looks similar to beautyberry. All the poison sumac that I've ever seen could in no way be confused with beautyberry. Poison sumac has pinnately compound leaves. Beautyberry has simple leaves. Poison sumac often grows as a single stemmed small tree or shrub. Beautyberry always grows as a multiple stemmed shrub. Leaf color is different. Stem color is different. Berry color is different. Then there are the differences that you can feel or smell...but that's not what we're talking about here.

ga. prime":2coa9yx5 said:
I'd like to see a picture of some poison sumac that looks similar to beautyberry. All the poison sumac that I've ever seen could in no way be confused with beautyberry. Poison sumac has pinnately compound leaves. Beautyberry has simple leaves. Poison sumac often grows as a single stemmed small tree or shrub. Beautyberry always grows as a multiple stemmed shrub. Leaf color is different. Stem color is different. Berry color is different. Then there are the differences that you can feel or smell...but that's not what we're talking about here.

It sort of resembles Winged(shining) sumac, but that isn't what it is.

sumac.jpg

Beauty berry
b-berry.jpg

Shiny sumac is not poisonous. The similarities I see in the 2 pics you posted, dun, are that each plant has leaves that are a shade of green, and each has berries. The compound leaves on the sumac should preclude it from ever being mistaken for beautyberry.

ga. prime":ird980kk said:
Shiny sumac is not poisonous. The similarities I see in the 2 pics you posted, dun, are that each plant has leaves that are a shade of green, and each has berries. The compound leaves on the sumac should preclude it from ever being mistaken for beautyberry.

I was just trying to post a picture of both to emphasis that the first picture that was posted was not sumac

dun

Try crossbow (Dupont) on it early in spring....great stuff cause it does not kill the grass. :D

everybody calm down. i dont think its sumac. just like i dont think milkweeds are persimmon sprouts.

In northern Arkansas I was first introduced to it as 'Mountain Mulberry'. Not exactly tasty but not bad either. Eating the berries certainly did not make me sick.

It is NOT shu-mate or any other variation of 'sumac'.

Actually, some varieties of sumac are actually edible and the berries can be used to make a fruit drink like lemonade.

Latest posts