What is this? Hernia?

Help Support CattleToday:

Phil2

Reaction score

While checking the cows today I noticed something odd on one of the old bred cows I bought. I'd like to think I would have noticed if it had always been there but to be honest I'm not sure. I bought her knowing full well what I was getting (very old cow, bred 'sometime' last summer to a real nice angus bull, who has raised decent calves for many years for the same guy with VERY little attention given to her) so I never truly looked at them beyond making sure that she was indeed a live cow.

This 'bump' is a foot or so in front of her udders, doesn't seem inflamed, doesn't seem to bother her. I'm not exactly worried over it or anything, I'm just curious what it would be? Do cows get hernias? What would cause it?

Thanks

Phil

Looks like a callus to me. Some cows get them on their belly like that. Bedding on hard dirt or concrete usually causes them. Benign neglect is called for

branguscowgirl":2ubkn75w said:
Whats it feel like? Is it just fly bites on her navel?
Could be that too, I've just never seen them on oldeer cows. Usually calves and yearlings.

dun":3tvsqeb6 said:
branguscowgirl":3tvsqeb6 said:
Whats it feel like? Is it just fly bites on her navel?
Could be that too, I've just never seen them on oldeer cows. Usually calves and yearlings.
All my cows get rough, dry fly bites under there. Same with the horses. But the picture is not really clear enough to tell if that is what he is referring to, or if there is something we can't see........

Crusty/scaly dermatitis due to a filarial nematode parasite - Stephanofilaria stilesi, transmitted by horn flies. Almost always on the midline, around the umbilicus.
No biggie; I see it on almost every adult cow in the Southeast.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Being due to flies surprises me, I didn't know they could cause something like this. The callus theory made a little sense, they have never been on concrete but also do not receive any sort of bedding. These older cows have never had any sort of fly treatment though other than IGR mineral in the summer and an abundance of cedar trees. I spray everything of mine every couple of weeks and provide IGR but nothing more.

I've seen crusty, scab like, areas on horses that have been ignored/neglected some, but never anything like this. This cow is tame enough (can get almost within reach of her) but no where near tame enough to touch be able to touch her in the pasture. Going simply off of how it looks it doesn't appear dry or crusty.

Odd, things you learn. thanks,

Phil

Latest posts