What is the oldest cow

Help Support CattleToday:

b l h

Reaction score
After seeing bez's question on his old cow made me wonder what is the oldest cow or cows you have bought? Myself when I was 18 or and just starting and trying to grow a little Iapproached an elderly neighbor about leasing his place. I left his house with his place leased and had bought his last 18 cows. They were mostly brafords and the youngest was maybe 10 and looked like a bags of bones. I had people laugh their butts off at me but they went along way in getting started I bought the cows cheaper than I could bought younger ones and first couple of years everyone had big at sale time and I left the sale barn skipping

ive got a friend that just sold his cows.an they where 10 to 16yrs old.with calves on the teat.i know another guy all his cows are smooth mouth cows.they are well over 18.an still calving.ive milked a cow till she was 18.scott

bigbull338":3eb3uenc said:
ive got a friend that just sold his cows.an they where 10 to 16yrs old.with calves on the teat.i know another guy all his cows are smooth mouth cows.they are well over 18.an still calving.ive milked a cow till she was 18.scott

the old man said the older ones were 13-15 years and its at least 5 years before I had any problems that caused me to cull one them. I did lose one the 3rd year because dogs- heard that the neighbor lost his dogs shortly there after. Its was 9 years before I got rid of the 10 year old when she would calve the cow she came out of and her both would stand over the calf - the grandma was just as protective as momma.

In order to get a 1,300 acre place leased I had to agree to buy the 20 cows that were on it. They were all bred and 15- 20 years old. that was three years ago. I keep liquid syrup out for them in the winter. They do great very little maintanance, very gentle. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I have sold three calves off of every one so far and as long as they breed back I will keep them. So out of my 150 cows, twenty are old every one else is 7 years and younger.

We kind of had the same situation: we bought out a family member to lease his land. We went through all the cows, 32 in total, and culled everyone that was open or repo tract problems, or cancer eye, or other cull criteria. We ended up with 14 keepers that ranged in age from 2-12. We've had to sell 3 of those in the past 3 years due to no milk and one came up with cancer eye. This herd had not been culled in years - the only cows that left the herd are the bones out in the pasture.

To answer your original question, the oldest I have ever purchased was 6 1/2 years old (documented). I just put wheels under a 20 YO that had given me 18 calves. She went because she just got to where she was getting pulled down too much with a calf on her.

Our first cow that we started our herd with lived to be 19, gave us 17 calves. I only have 2 heifers that come out of her, She was one that usually had bulls. When we were about ready to retire her, I said nah, leave her..shes done us such a good job just let her stay till her days is over. Much to my surprise and hubbies as well, we went out one february morning to find her standin there with a lil black white face calf. I hadn't palpated her the previous fall, just didnt think it was possible....gave her the shots and let her out. She raised that calf just fine. But along about August we found her down and had to help her out. All I could do was sit in the truck and cry while hubby took care of things. But she lived a good long life and lotta calves. Them old ones is what puts longevity into your herd.

Bought a 10 year old rgistered Red Angus last year with aRed Angus heifer calf at side. Took two trys but she bred back. Apparently from her behaviour after I had my arm up her butt it was the first time that anyone had subjected her to such indignaties

dun

Oldest one I ever bought was a 10 year old Angus. She's 15 now, and so far has raised a great calf every year, she's still going strong.

Katherine

We have never bought anything older than 8. The oldest cow we ever had walked to the sale barn as a cull at 22 years old. She sold in a cull load with a 21 year old, a 20 year old, and two 18 year olds (all bred and raised here by my grandfather). That was 1986 and I can still remember their nicknames; "Shorty", "the Out cow", "Freckles", "Mark", and "Fats". 1960s Herefords were too small; but at least here, they were very durable, very efficient, and very dependable. They were a pretty horrid looking bunch when they got culled that fall, even though my grandfather had been giving them favored status for some time by then.

Keeper verses shipper is better measured by teeth condition. A 7 year old that has been on a diet of corn or something else abrasive can be much worse then a 12 year old that has only had nice tender grass. Once the teeth get smooth they can't get near the grass they could have with a full set of chompers. Years of chewing cud takes it toll on em as well. If a 12-14 year old has good teeth I'll keep her if she raises a good calf. Once they are missing or broken she will decline and not be a easy keeper reguardless of age.

I was curious what other people had done, to a 18 year old, it sure went along way to get me started. It was 3 years after that when I lost the first cow and that was because of the neighbors dogs tore her up when she was having a calf. :mad: :mad: heard the neighbor lost his dogs tho-- lead poisoning will get them everytime. The rest I kept for at least 5 years, I still have a number of cows that came out of this group.

I gottem all ages - from fresh born to - depends on who tells me - one in that 15-16 year bracket - If they stay healthy nd calve out - most cases good enough for me.

Started years ago with bred heifers - wish I had been around to tell myself why I should NOT do that! :D

Rare we buy anything now - breed our own up from scratch - I like the product. 8)

Bez'

I saw a Dexter cow that was 23 or 24 when i went up to look at some that i was gonna buy, she wasnt real good, but thats probabvly rite since she was 24.

33 Years old? Wow!

The oldest beef we knowingly kept was 14 when we culled her... due more to age then anything.

When we were milking hard and heavy we often used our cows up within 3-4 years of age...still very young by most standards except when being milked 3 times daily and living on concrete 24/7. Culls usually due to foot problems. But they just looked old even at that age as well. :cboy:

Yep, wow on the 33 YO cow. I have had horses that lived that long or a little longer but never a cow. ;-)

Bez'":11tegmwh said:
Started years ago with bred heifers - wish I had been around to tell myself why I should NOT do that! :D

Bez'

Give me some insight on why not to buy bred heifers. Is it because you don't know what type of bull they were bred to? Or because they are not "experienced" mother's, or some other reason?

NewCowboy's mom

both. plus if you are inexperienced too thats just a disaster waiting to happen.

Latest posts