What is the oldest cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":3fvo4swc said:
both. plus if you are inexperienced too thats just a disaster waiting to happen.

We didn't buy bred heifers, but we had three heifers that we bought that are now bred to our bull. Any suggestions on what to look for at time of calving as not to have a disaster. My husband and I are new, but my father isn't....so we have a little experience on our side. My biggest worry is that a new mom will leave her calf and not return until it is too late. Does that happen often? We bred them to our smaller bull, so maybe we won't have problems there. Suggestions?

NewCowboy":1ctf2hhz said:
Beefy":1ctf2hhz said:
both. plus if you are inexperienced too thats just a disaster waiting to happen.

We didn't buy bred heifers, but we had three heifers that we bought that are now bred to our bull. Any suggestions on what to look for at time of calving as not to have a disaster. My husband and I are new, but my father isn't....so we have a little experience on our side. My biggest worry is that a new mom will leave her calf and not return until it is too late. Does that happen often? We bred them to our smaller bull, so maybe we won't have problems there. Suggestions?

Just keep a closer eye on them at calving time b/c heifers are A LOT more likely to require assistance delivering. New moms will abandon them or just not know what to do or kick at them trying to nurse but this is not the norm. it does happen, i wouldnt say often. out of those three, kicking is probably the most common. she may be a little sensitive at first, just make sure the baby nurses and the heifers return for calves. if you have predator problems you may want to take the calf to the momma if she leaves it. I hope you mean you bred them to a bull with an average to low birthweight and not to a bull that is small. you cant tell by the size of a bull what his calves will weigh at birth and structure has as much to do with ease of delivery as weight does anyway.

I hope you mean you bred them to a bull with an average to low birthweight and not to a bull that is small. you cant tell by the size of a bull what his calves will weigh at birth and structure has as much to do with ease of delivery as weight does anyway.
Well, yes and no. The bull that we bred them to is a smaller black angus of the two we have. He has proven to have given a few smaller calves at birth to some heifers of my parents, even though they grew out nicely. He is a younger bull and small of our two. Our old bull, on the other hand, always seems to have very large fat calves......I don't understand it, genetics I suppose, but they are always extremely nice when sold. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts