What is the name of the Fly Control............

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Since I can't remember things from 1 second to the next :( , does anyone know the name of an insecticide (NOT Permethrin) that can be used as a fly rub mixed with diesel. Guy who told me about it swears that since they started using it (only a ounce or so per gallon of diesel), they have not had fly issues at all. I am tired of using expensive fly tags, that work for a week or 2 and then they do nothing, and permethrin mix, which is both expensive and works minimal at best.

Name was something like Rayvap or similar. Kills flies and bugs (insecticide) that is safe for cattle, but bad mojo for dogs.

Did a web search and can't find it. I wanted to check into it before fly season starts up.

TennesseeTuxedo":3i4bczxd said:
You are better than Google dun.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess I half a memory anyway as I was close. Just added a letter. :D

Thanks Dun

Soooooo.........Has anyone ever used this Ravap product? Results?

Oh crud. Just read the specs where it says not approved for calves under 6mths old. Kind of hard to use on a farm then, no? Put it on a rub with face flaps, the calves will hit the flaps and get it on them.

robertwhite":1odfgfot said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1odfgfot said:
You are better than Google dun.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess I half a memory anyway as I was close. Just added a letter. :D

Thanks Dun

Soooooo.........Has anyone ever used this Ravap product? Results?

Oh crud. Just read the specs where it says not approved for calves under 6mths old. Kind of hard to use on a farm then, no? Put it on a rub with face flaps, the calves will hit the flaps and get it on them.
I have not used it, but from specimen label, I understand it to say the part about not using on calves under 6 mos is if you are going to spray it directly or as a pour-on.

Livestock spray:
Dilute in water as indicated and spray directly on the animals only to the point of runoff. Use
between ½ to 1 gal. of diluted spray solution per animal depending on size and hair coat. Do
not treat more often than every 10 days. Do not apply to calves under six months of age. Brahman and Brahman-cross cattle should not be treated as they may show hypersensitivity to
organophosphate pesticides. Do not apply in combination with other dermal organophosphate
pesticides (e.g. trichlorton). There is no withholding period from last application to slaughter.

As a rub:
1 gal. in 25 gal. or 5 oz. in 1 gal. Mix with any approved backrubber base oil. Pour diluted solution into oil reservoir of mechanical backrubbing devices or pour 1 gallon per 20 linear feet on burlap or rope backrubbers.
Keep backrubber or facerubber charged.
http://www.valleyvet.com/Library/lib_39189_-label.pdf

Dun--others--what do you think? Am I reading it wrong or does the 6 month thing apply to both uses?

I read it as no calves under 6mts at all. I'm going to call the maker tomorrow.

robertwhite":1f578jj4 said:
I read it as no calves under 6mts at all. I'm going to call the maker tomorrow.
That's the correct answer!

couple questions from a noob.

1. What fly control is safe for calves under six months?

2. I like the idea of setting up a rub around my water supply. I tend to only see them set up around mineral feeders. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance!

Rhune":3gcrn36v said:
couple questions from a noob.

1. What fly control is safe for calves under six months?

2. I like the idea of setting up a rub around my water supply. I tend to only see them set up around mineral feeders. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance!
You don't want it getting in your water tank. That why people put it near the mineral feeders

All of our flywipes are at the water points. We use corral panels or acttle panels to make about a 15-20 foot size area with the water tank or waterer at one side and a 4 foot walk through opposite it. The mop hangs in the walk through. We hanf it low enough that the calves get a little bit, if it's too low the cows can;t get in, and use Permectrin II and diesel

Dun, Do you have a slick of diesel on your water surface?

I read that you could use mineral oil instead of diesel. Would this be safer?

Rhune":1xi2mvpi said:
Dun, Do you have a slick of diesel on your water surface?

I read that you could use mineral oil instead of diesel. Would this be safer?
No. How would the deisel get there. The mops are 10-15 feet away from the tanks.

Just to update a bit.

I had called the maker of Ravap (Bayer) last week and was told one of their vets would call me back when I asked about the don't let calve's near it deal. They didn't call back and I am going to call again in the morning and make a little noise. A vet or chemical rep should have returned my call by now, so I will try to get an answer one way or another.

Rhune":23qfqcza said:
Dun,

I was thinking that the mops would get the solution on the cows head. Head hits water.
It's only on the face and upto the poll. None of our cows submerge their heads when drinking, just their muzzle.

Got an answer to the 6 mths and under calf issue.

Vet called me back today (they gave him the wrong number last week), and basically stated that the 2 chemicals in RaVap are much more potent than Permethrin and that they (Bayer) have a product called Co-Ral flea & tick which can be used on calves if you wish to soak the calves.

When I explained the concerns about calves going under a rub with face flaps, he said that they will get nowhere near the same exposure as if you soaked them with a 40psi sprayer. Their main concern is that a calf doesn't get soaked with the RaVap as a calf can not break down (forgot the actual word he used) the chemicals quick enough and therfor is a hazard, hence the label. So he gave the green light to use on a rub, but said do NOT soak a calf to the skin with it.

I also asked about using RaVap on the rub and also using Co-Ral to soak the calves, and he said the rub alone might be effective enough and to try it first. Obviously, you can soak any cow/calf that is older than 6mths.

Vet was very cordial and had no problem answering all questions honestly and in words I could understand. (not Dr. words. :lol: )

Latest posts