What is the best farm economy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Playing by the rules sucks the profit out of the idea but barring the regulations I could make a nice living just off this one thing not to mention that I might even create a few jobs.
Yeah but knowing you from what you've posted, you could probably still 'play by all the rules' food safety wise EXCEPt regulator part?
but, shame on anyone doing that..
Them govt lackeys gotta make a livin same as the buzzards and worms ya know..

greybeard":2z3n1dzn said:
Playing by the rules sucks the profit out of the idea but barring the regulations I could make a nice living just off this one thing not to mention that I might even create a few jobs.
Yeah but knowing you from what you've posted, you could probably still 'play by all the rules' food safety wise EXCEPt regulator part?

That's is the problem with our system of rules and regulations.

Jogeephus":bg9dnh6k said:
I have one buyer willing to purchase 75lbs of burger a day but regulation throws a monkey wrench in the whole idea. Playing by the rules sucks the profit out of the idea but barring the regulations I could make a nice living just off this one thing not to mention that I might even create a few jobs.

Is state or federal inspection the catch?

The tobacco quota system was a good program in my opinion. If the farmer did his part and nature cooperated at all you could count on a certain amount of money every year. This would have to help with cash flow for farm payments instead of the boom, bust and break even for years cycle. I don't think it would work for cattle though because there are too many ways to game the system.

True Grit Farms":2yb9km8w said:
greybeard":2yb9km8w said:

It is the big players who lobby for the rules. They have to to be competitive. No way they could make money if local farmers could supply a local market. Think of all the miles trucks run to keep these big operation's working.

Resistant weeds are becoming a real issue. There have been no new chemicals found as a herbicide in 10 years. Those that are in use now are rapidly becoming ineffective.

Smaller farms can be much more efficient, when they are allowed to compete. Small dairy can graze an apple orchard for example. Free range egg layers can work with sheep, even in an orchard as well. Multiple layers, multiple units like farms used to be. Of course this works, and does not require lots of chemicals, or the same level of loans, or allow control by these big companies. 70% of the worlds food is grown by small farmers. About ten years ago the average size of tractor used in agriculture was less than 40 horse power.

1wlimo":3i5tifc9 said:
True Grit Farms":3i5tifc9 said:
greybeard":3i5tifc9 said:

It is the big players who lobby for the rules. They have to to be competitive. No way they could make money if local farmers could supply a local market. Think of all the miles trucks run to keep these big operation's working.

Resistant weeds are becoming a real issue. There have been no new chemicals found as a herbicide in 10 years. Those that are in use now are rapidly becoming ineffective.
Will that pull a 54 row planter??
Smaller farms can be much more efficient, when they are allowed to compete. Small dairy can graze an apple orchard for example. Free range egg layers can work with sheep, even in an orchard as well. Multiple layers, multiple units like farms used to be. Of course this works, and does not require lots of chemicals, or the same level of loans, or allow control by these big companies. 70% of the worlds food is grown by small farmers. About ten years ago the average size of tractor used in agriculture was less than 40 horse power.

TexasBred":4hbqvzyp said:
1wlimo":4hbqvzyp said:
True Grit Farms":4hbqvzyp said:

Will that pull a 54 row planter??

Not from around these parts.

Stocker Steve":fkqqf3ug said:
Jogeephus":fkqqf3ug said:
I have one buyer willing to purchase 75lbs of burger a day but regulation throws a monkey wrench in the whole idea. Playing by the rules sucks the profit out of the idea but barring the regulations I could make a nice living just off this one thing not to mention that I might even create a few jobs.

Is state or federal inspection the catch?

That's about like asking which came first the chicken or the egg. The quick answer would be the federal gov't since you cannot sell meat without it first being inspected at a USDA facility even if it never leaves your state so federal regulations trump state's regulations which seems rather ironic since with marijuana state's rules seem to trump federal law - in some states anyway.

Jogeephus":2k5wpnnk said:
Steve Is state or federal inspection the catch?[/quote:2k5wpnnk said:
That's about like asking which came first the chicken or the egg. The quick answer would be the federal gov't since you cannot sell meat without it first being inspected at a USDA facility even if it never leaves your state so federal regulations trump state's regulations which seems rather ironic since with marijuana state's rules seem to trump federal law - in some states anyway.

Apparently meat is more dangerous than pot. :?

Stocker Steve":1la3m0s7 said:
Apparently meat is more dangerous than pot. :?

That's an interesting subject if you think about it. Is beef more dangerous than pot or is it that law abiding citizens allow themselves to be regulated more easily than others in our society? Or are regulations based on ease and efficiency of tax collection? Its a curious thing which I will never fully understand.

Beef is much more dangerous than pot!!!!!!!!!! I did a study and found that many more ''beef users'' die every year than ''pot users''. :cowboy: Jo who do I contact to get my research grant money?

mwj":1un55a8m said:
Beef is much more dangerous than pot!!!!!!!!!! I did a study and found that many more ''beef users'' die every year than ''pot users''. :cowboy: Jo who do I contact to get my research grant money?
Willie Nelson, Esquire :cowboy:

mwj":2n7l5ini said:
Beef is much more dangerous than pot!!!!!!!!!! I did a study and found that many more ''beef users'' die every year than ''pot users''. :cowboy:

There was a news segment where some Colorado ruminants were being supplemented with lower quality pot. :shock: The owners were hoping for $$$$ per pound from direct marketing. Jo - - is this segment part of your marketing plan?

Stocker Steve":2g64ste2 said:
mwj":2g64ste2 said:
Beef is much more dangerous than pot!!!!!!!!!! I did a study and found that many more ''beef users'' die every year than ''pot users''. :cowboy:

There was a news segment where some Colorado ruminants were being supplemented with lower quality pot. :shock: The owners were hoping for $$$$ per pound from direct marketing. Jo - - is this segment part of your marketing plan?

I had considered that but the regulations for adding something as dangerous and unnatural as beef to pot was just too cumbersome so I've concentrated my efforts toward the production and sale of Deli bal. Deli bal is all natural and ultra-organic which should be a big hit with the left leaning consumers and I won't face such scrutiny from government regulators.

Jogeephus":34npx5vl said:
Stocker Steve":34npx5vl said:
mwj":34npx5vl said:

I had considered that but the regulations for adding something as dangerous and unnatural as beef to pot was just too cumbersome so I've concentrated my efforts toward the production and sale of Deli bal. Deli bal is all natural and ultra-organic which should be a big hit with the left leaning consumers and I won't face such scrutiny from government regulators.

As long as it's Georgia Grown you'll be able to market from farm to table. Gary Black says it's the USDA that's slowing down beef sales off the farm, but politics as usual.