What is the best breed to cross a Hereford/Angus cow too?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ponylove210

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and have questions on which breed is best to cross my Hereford/Angus cross cow with. We bred her (ai) to a Galloway bull and got a pretty nice bull calf from her (black one in photo). The steer is now 26 months old and about the same size as mom (red in the photo). I kind of expected him to be bigger since the bull was 2200 pounds. We had one more straw from that bull we bred her back to, and are awaiting the results. Genex doesn't carry any Galloway bulls anymore, so the next breed back will be a different breed. We have just the one cow, and all calves are being raised for our freezer. We live in Wisconsin, so cold tolerance is important. What breed should we choose? Thanks in advance for your help!

Depending on the size of the cow you could try Simmenthal, Gelbvieh or if she is smallish framed breed her back to a Hereford or use a Red Angus.

Welcome to the forum. I know I'll get blasted for this, but I think you'd be happy with using a Brangus bull. You should get a solid heavy calf, and it will only have 3/16 Brahman blood, so cold tolerance shouldn't be an issue, and since it's for the freezer you won't get docked if it shows a little extra ear.

What are your goals for the calf? Limousin does a heck of a job over a baldie cow but if you want to keep the daughters I would go back with hereford or angus until you get to the number of cows you want and then switch.
Welcome to the board.

Rafter S":2mjipwwm said:
Welcome to the forum. I know I'll get blasted for this, but I think you'd be happy with using a Brangus bull. You should get a solid heavy calf, and it will only have 3/16 Brahman blood, so cold tolerance shouldn't be an issue, and since it's for the freezer you won't get docked if it shows a little extra ear.
My father (also in NW WI) used to run beefmaster bulls over his corriente/LH cows. The offspring were terminal, all sold as grassfed freezer beef. I detest grass fed beef, so I never ate any he produced and can't comment on the quality. The bulls seemed to handle our weather as well as anything. The biggest issue he ran into was getting decent quality BM bulls in our area. His were okay, but far away from anything in the glossy magazines. After my dad died last year, they sold off most of the old corriente/LH cows and the BM bulls. They kept a few of the more beefy heifers from that cross, and are now going to use them to re-work the program a bit.

As for the OP, I would stick to an angus bull. Carcass, calving ease and some docility would be a plus for a operation like described.

Boot Jack Bulls":2eifan3p said:
Rafter S":2eifan3p said:
My father (also in NW WI) used to run beefmaster bulls over his corriente/LH cows. The offspring were terminal, all sold as grassfed freezer beef. I detest grass fed beef, so I never ate any he produced and can't comment on the quality. The bulls seemed to handle our weather as well as anything. The biggest issue he ran into was getting decent quality BM bulls in our area. His were okay, but far away from anything in the glossy magazines. After my dad died last year, they sold off most of the old corriente/LH cows and the BM bulls. They kept a few of the more beefy heifers from that cross, and are now going to use them to re-work the program a bit.

As for the OP, I would stick to an angus bull. Carcass, calving ease and some docility would be a plus for a operation like described.
FYI, if you do decide to go angus (black or red) or Limi, I have some great ones in the tank and I'm in NW WI! ;-)

Thanks to everyone who have responded so far! I live on a small farm, so we will probably only have one cow at a time. I basically just want to have calves with nice temperments that grow well without a lot of issues. I like the traits of the Galloway, but don't think I'll be able to find any in my area. If I can get a fast gaining, feed efficient steer that has great meat traits, I will be happy!

Rafter S":xcovdy93 said:
A little Brahman blood won't hurt the northern cows. Just stay away from using high percentage Brahman bulls or you'll have a high maintenance calf with low feed efficiency.

Angus, beefmaster, or even back to a hereford. Since she has had a calf then birthweight should not be a big deal. Simmental or even a "lim-flex"should give you a good sized calf, if you like limousins. I personally would stick with an angus or something that is as beefy as I could find.... I am not a big fan of limi's, but that is from personal past experiences with some that were very agressive..... most today that I have seen are alot calmer.

1 cow herd and Genex A.I. for freezer beef..
For your own personal table beef Wagyu, The highest quality beef, but very slow gaining. Genex has 2 to choose from.
otherwise also at Genex

Red Angus 1ar0948 Stronghold $20
Limousin 1LM018 Admiral $18
Lim-Flex 1LM5131 You Are Here $18
Blk Angus 1an1387 Beast Mode $25
" " 1an1235 Hoover Emperor $18
" " 1an1320 Ten Speed $40
Charolais 1ch970 Lunch Money $25
Simmental 1sm0136 All-Around $25

Limousin will produce lean red meat if you are health conscience.
Black Angus fatter, but more tender.
Charolais should produce the most meat.
1/2 Wagyu will be the very best quality, but $50 semen and slow growing, so more time and input cost
Wagyu would be my 1st choice (The Michifuku son at genex)
my 2nd choice Beast Mode

In your location a Charolais, Gelbvieh, Simmental or Limousin. In my area, a Santa Gertrudis, Brangus or Beefmaster if you want to keep replacement heifers, otherwise use the Continental breeds mentioned.

Latest posts