What Is A Hobby Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong":w6rnt7nn said:
somn":w6rnt7nn said:
Rustler9":w6rnt7nn said:
But alot of ropers like LH/Corriente crosses. At least I've seen alot of them go through sales. A guy who breeds registered Corriente in this area bought several of our LH bull calves because he likes to cross them for ropers and he also says the LH's have more stamina but they get too big too quick. I'm not really in the roping business but I've been told this from more than one person who is.
These LH/Corriente crosses you speak of to me sound exactly like a Nascar Nextel Cup Monte Carlo. If you ask Jeff Gordon about his Dupont Monte Carlo he is going to say this thing is awesome nothing better has ever been made. Same type of things you hear from longhorn breeders. GM and 99% of the cattlemen in America also have something in common. Neither will be reproducing said products in any large scale production. Why you ask because both know said products are novelties that normal car owners and cattle men will not buy. But yet both will continue to be made on a very limited run because there is that very very small percentage that thinks man these things are awesome.

That is exactally why the corriente are favored over the LH cross! They grow too fast and are not ropeable as long!!
Talk to the stock producers!! see what they want in their package when they are hauling the from show to show!
dont need to talk to a stock contractor ive roped plenty longhorn and CORRIENTE both in rodeos and backyard arena's ..even put a few strap on horn's on some cheap muleys

don't make me want to puke.... its a poor frog that don't praise his own pond... longhorn folks take heart.. angus gets bashed more then your breed does on here

Why not":24nlo1e8 said:
mnmtranching":24nlo1e8 said:
bulldealer":24nlo1e8 said:
Here are some interesting registration numbers from 2006. I wouldn't have thought Charolais to be #2.

Angus - 347,572
Charolais - 74,569
Hereford - 69,344
Simmental - 52,258
Red Angus - 47,064
Limousin - 37,742
Gelbvieh - 36,222
Brangus - 25,097
Shorthorn - 19,700
Beefmaster - 18,202
Salers - 14,399
Maine Anjou - 12,316

The rest are under 10,000 each.

If you go out across cattle country in MN, ND, and MT you see lots of BA herds running Char bulls. It's interesting how many Charolais Breeders there are in ND and MT. The herds of Herefords are all but gone.

Heres whats sad about the above numbers. Everyone that has angus thinks just beacause they are black that makes them special and should that they should be registered. I dare say if thenumbers above were ecvaluated it would shock what the percentage of culls that were registered by angus members.

"We in the Angus business have a very valuable product to market - the black hide, naturally polled, highly fertile, good milking, easy marbling, good muscled, medium framed breed that everyone in the beef business is talking about."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Angus cattle continue to dominate the feeder market with the best prices because we already have what every other breed is striving to be. We don't have to get our cattle black - They already are! We don't have to get our cattle polled - They already are! We don't have to downsize our cattle - They already fit the box! We don't have to worry so much about newborn weights or whether our dam will mother the calf - We know she will because it has been bred into her for many generations." --Learon Roberts, Past-President, A*L*O*T, in recent A*L*O*T Sale Catalog

One of the posters on here helped persuade these people to by into this yarn.

If the above dont want to make you puke i dont know what would. 90 percent of what is highlighted is a pile of pig dung nothing more nothing less.

OH I've been meaning to ask .how are them pieds doing ?

ALACOWMAN":179qb72e said:
hopalong":179qb72e said:
somn":179qb72e said:
dont need to talk to a stock contractor ive roped plenty longhorn and CORRIENTE both in rodeos and backyard arena's ..even put a few strap on horn's on some cheap muleys

Me too! But you wont find any longhorn crosses at any of the major rodeos. (least i never did) Backyarding ropers will use anything! :D :D :D even a holstien :D :D

Why not":3irqtn47 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3irqtn47 said:
I respect some angus cattle. But the end all be all attitude does make me sick. They are not a complete package.

Their day will come...again. There are always cycles and fluctuations.

I think their day has come and gone. The only thing that can help them is if they can get the usda to consider revamping the grading system and allowing 3 more grades. Like yg6s yg7s yg8s. Alacowman you are right it is a pretty sorry frog that dont croak for its own pond. I n this case the frog is cryingbut its about how pathetic the beef is that comes from a angus carcass.

durham look at the prices quoted in this thread the charolais cross beat the angus by 8 cents a pound.

Research has been done and has shown Charolais can compete with Angus thats one proven FACT Black Hided or not

Since I am not a full time cow/calf operation/farmer/rancher.
Have to make most of my $$$ working on a ship out at sea.I guess that makes me one of them hobby guys.Then since I don't have 200 to 500 acres of pasture land or the 100 head of registered mom ma cows.Yeah it is down right difficult at times trying to squeeze out a profit just being a small guy in the business.You can have the best registered seedstock in the state and still have to sell them at the sales barn same as commerical cattle.So just how much profit are those ranches with the photos of 25 registered cows in a group in belly deep grass making?Wonder how many they ever have to take to the sales barn.It don't matter if it is brahma,beefmaster,angus,ect.
You can always sell at the sales barn,any day or week.But not out in your pasture or replacement sale.Where you draw the line?If your the seller or the buyer.

Why not":23uv68e0 said:
frankie said
As for my numbers being biased, I'll bet all you have to do is look around your county and see how many cow herds have Angus influence.

while your looking consider the number one source of no roll beef thats right cab. ;-) hmmm[/quote]

Oh, I think the number one source of no roll beef is double muscled breeds.....like Piedmontese. :D

Why do 90% of the threads on every board, no matter what the topic, turn into Angus bashing? I think I'll start a "What's your favorite brand of beer" thread on the coffee shop board and see how long it takes to start dogging Angus.

6M Ranch":yd0uhosh said:
Why do 90% of the threads on every board, no matter what the topic, turn into Angus bashing? I think I'll start a "What's your favorite brand of beer" thread on the coffee shop board and see how long it takes to start dogging Angus.

Just that old green envy-- jealousy...As long as the buyers keep topping the market with the prices they pay for the angus, everybody else can bash them all they want as far as I care... ;-)

Oldtimer":1n4011wl said:
6M Ranch":1n4011wl said:

Just that old green envy-- jealousy...As long as the buyers keep topping the market with the prices they pay for the angus, everybody else can bash them all they want as far as I care... ;-)

Nothing Last Forever ;-)

vs_cattle":3ab6591s said:
Oldtimer":3ab6591s said:
6M Ranch":3ab6591s said:

Nothing Last Forever ;-)

Yep your right- but I probably won't be around Forever either ;-) Bought the first angus bulls in 1958- We were one of the first places in our area to have them "black bulls"- as this was pretty much Hereford country with still a few Shorthorn bulls being run... Then in the late 60's the "experts" convinced me that you had to cross with Continentals--tried simmi, limi, char over the next 10 years and all had more problems then what good they returned...Pretty well convinced me nothing beat the good old fashioned angus and herefords for me...

Oldtimer":2az1r3rx said:
vs_cattle":2az1r3rx said:
Oldtimer":2az1r3rx said:
6M Ranch":2az1r3rx said:

Nothing Last Forever ;-)

Yep your right- but I probably won't be around Forever either ;-) Bought the first angus bulls in 1958- We were one of the first places in our area to have them "black bulls"- as this was pretty much Hereford country with still a few Shorthorn bulls being run... Then in the late 60's the "experts" convinced me that you had to cross with Continentals--tried simmi, limi, char over the next 10 years and all had more problems then what good they returned...Pretty well convinced me nothing beat the good old fashioned angus and herefords for me...

I know your not gonna be around for ever no one is expected to but within the next 10-20 years For Sure Angus wont be on top maybe sooner with all the demands for growth with the least amount of investment only time will tell

vs_cattle":2o7xcg3y said:
Oldtimer":2o7xcg3y said:
vs_cattle":2o7xcg3y said:
Oldtimer":2o7xcg3y said:
6M Ranch":2o7xcg3y said:

Nothing Last Forever ;-)

I know your not gonna be around for ever no one is expected to but within the next 10-20 years For Sure Angus wont be on top maybe sooner with all the demands for growth with the least amount of investment only time will tell

From experience I can tell you-thats the exact same thing the "experts" were saying in the 60's.... ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: The demands seem to flip flop around and keep coming back to where the angus keep on working ...

Oldtimer":1nyykhn7 said:
vs_cattle":1nyykhn7 said:
vs_cattle":1nyykhn7 said:
6M Ranch":1nyykhn7 said:

Nothing Last Forever ;-)

From experience I can tell you-thats the exact same thing the "experts" were saying in the 60's.... ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: The demands seem to flip flop around and keep coming back to where the angus keep on working ...

Seems to me there's room for other breeds in crossbreeding programs. But for the folks who's been around the block.

It's going to lean more and more Angus Red and Black.

I don't see any chance that continentals will replace the Angus on the range. Maybe on that 20 acres, but never the cattle people out there making a living.

Some of you will have to wait and see, but I'm right on this one.

vs_cattle":3i4gmija said:
Oldtimer":3i4gmija said:
vs_cattle":3i4gmija said:
Oldtimer":3i4gmija said:
6M Ranch":3i4gmija said:

Nothing Last Forever ;-)

High growth with the least amount of investment requires cheap grain, want to bet on that coming back? :)

I'll tell you what, I don't see the present popular mainstream angus bloodlines or the continental breeds will be much in play in the future. Cattle will be more foraged based, with moderate frame, fleshing ability on forages and multiple really important traits selected. cattle will be developed on forages until close to the end.

Industrial agriculture based on cheap energy and cheap feed is on its way out. People are demanding food without chemicals added, people want locally grown food with the perception of wholesomeness. People want to think that their food is raised with the sun on their backs and the wind in their hair, so to speak. :)

CB has stated that the hobby guys that want to make a good profit should find a niche. I agree, but I think the big boys should maybe start looking for that niche as well. Band together and get ahead of the curve, rather than joining with the lemmings heading over the cliff that are so worried about ever increasing weaning and yearling weights and imf epds and are spending a fortune creep feeding and pouring the grain to animals, while their cow's mature weights are creeping towards a ton.

If this makes sense to you, start now. It will several years to get your herd where it needs to be. If you want to know what I am doing so you know I am not just saying one thing and doing something else, pm me and I will tell you, free of charge. :)

High growth with the least amount of investment requires cheap grain, want to bet on that coming back?

What I mean by that is Charolais are known to be better then other breeds in different areas. These certain traits are what cattle producers need right now to make the only color that matters GREEN.

mnmtranching":va6lj6gd said:
I don't see any chance that continentals will replace the Angus on the range. Maybe on that 20 acres, but never the cattle people out there making a living.

Some of you will have to wait and see, but I'm right on this one.

I agree that an Angus/English brood cow herd is likely to be the standard well into the future. I do think that many commercial cattlemen who have gone Angus on top of Angus on top of Angus on top of Angus are now seeing their production traits (weaning wt, ADG, feed efficiency, etc) either plateauing or not improving at the rates that they had become accustomed to in the 80s and 90s. Depending on their marketing channel, many of these cattlemen would benefit from coming back on their cows with a growthy sire breed. With high grain prices, cattle are going to have to get more efficient at turning grain into beef or we will be forced to reinvent the entire production chain and go with a smaller framed calf that will finish at an earlier age. My crystal ball is broken so I can't predict how this is going to wind up.

If there is such a classification as Hobby Breed, I would say it is one that people eeww and awww over or pick because of how they look not so much as to how they produce. Like them Panda cattle, or miniature Herefords and maybe Long horns.

Just because something is a Hobby item does not mean that those supplying it do it as a Hobby. I use to build model cars as a Hobby, but I doubt the guy who started Revell Models runs his business as a Hobby.

Maybe Long Horns could be classified as a Hobby breed if there was such a classification. But if this is the case I am sure some people make a business out of supplying the Hobbyist with their Hobbies, much like the Revell Model company does.

Latest posts